Considering making a deck, got some questions

Jun 13, 2016
Hello there everyone!

I've been told by several people to give a shot at making a deck of cards, and have been asked to it for some people a few times too. Thinking it might be about time as I believe it could be a fun project. In that regard, I have a few questions.

– There's different sizes with cards, but which ones is the best?
Most of the people that have asked want some custom-designed cards for use in their cardistry. Not sure if they do magic tricks along with that. What's the best sizes for this?

– What type of thickness?
I've seen a few different types of card thickness and such. Here's just one example for this online site that does custom cards. I have no idea what to pick.
KcSUPN.png

– Emboss/high gloss or not?
Emboss/high gloss kind of makes the card pop a bit more, look more expensive and luxurious. But will that get in the way of functionality? If anything I could maybe two versions, because I want at least one to keep that has this.

Thank you!

Apr 7, 2016
Kentucky
I may be biased, but I think Bicycle has the right thing going on. Check out there cards and try to base it off there's. What would your back design be?

Jun 13, 2016
I may be biased, but I think Bicycle has the right thing going on. Check out there cards and try to base it off there's. What would your back design be?

Thank you, will have a look at those :)
Just in the planning phase now, but I am thinking of making something of baroque. Something like I made here: https://i.pi.gy/357V.png
As for the frontside (where number and type is) I will have some sort of swirly design like I have made here: https://vgy.me/ht0HbK.png

Reactions: Single Malt
Jun 12, 2016
Arizona
I prefer clean designs. Even if they're going to be intricate, they shouldn't be overcluttered, and the central focal point is well defined.

Most importantly, do something that makes you proud. If you love your idea, then you're going in the right direction!

May 7, 2015
They need to be poker sized (2.5 × 3.5 inches)
They need to be the 310gsm with (linen air) for smooth handling.
Emboss and gloss should be on the box only (if I'm not mistaken) so that will just depend on design preference.

A lot of people have found success with Kickstarter for their card projects. I would work with USPCC personally.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Reactions: Josh Burch

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
They need to be poker sized (2.5 × 3.5 inches)
They need to be the 310gsm with (linen air) for smooth handling.
Emboss and gloss should be on the box only (if I'm not mistaken) so that will just depend on design preference.

A lot of people have found success with Kickstarter for their card projects. I would work with USPCC personally.

Hope this helps, good luck!

This post covers exactly what I would say. I prefer matte finishes on boxes mostly.

Anyone can make a deck look cool. It is tough to make a deck that is completely functional. With anything that you design try to make it function better then other cards on the market.

Nocs are cool because they are simple but they have a couple hidden features including a secret one way design.

upload_2016-8-26_14-6-10.jpeg

Decks put out by the Virts are cool because the design accentuates flourishes.
hqdefault.jpg

With Mirage playing cards the circle animates when it is spun.

Mirage_Cards_3.jpg

The king deck is my favorite custom deck to come out for a few reasons. It is border-less, which helps to make false deals deceptive, but the cards can be secretly reversed as if it had a border.

The deck is marked and it comes already in a magicians stack. This deck pushes the boundaries when it comes to custom decks.

mnemonica.jpg

Try your best to make a deck that is functional.

Reactions: Single Malt
Jun 13, 2016
Alright, thanks for the feedback everyone! Will have a goal to make a few cards when the week starts!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results