Control Being Sold At Ellusionist

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2008
I decided to check Ellusionist the other day and I saw that Control was coming soon. That kind of annoys me. First of all, Theory 11 produced the DVD and now another company is selling it. Also, everyone who knows the effect will know that it requires a lot of patter, acting skills, and you really need to put the time into that to dress it up to make it look real. Otherwise the spectator could figure it out easily. On Ellusionist, about half of the customers have no idea how to do that and they're just going to buy it, and ten minutes later post it on youtube with either a really bad performance that basically reveals it or they're going to post a tutorial of the effect in an attempt to gain popularity.

Just thought I'd point that out,
Charlie

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I decided to check Ellusionist the other day and I saw that Control was coming soon. That kind of annoys me. First of all, Theory 11 produced the DVD and now another company is selling it. Also, everyone who knows the effect will know that it requires a lot of patter, acting skills, and you really need to put the time into that to dress it up to make it look real. Otherwise the spectator could figure it out easily. On Ellusionist, about half of the customers have no idea how to do that and they're just going to buy it, and ten minutes later post it on youtube with either a really bad performance that basically reveals it or they're going to post a tutorial of the effect in an attempt to gain popularity.

Charlie

The kids here do the exact same thing. Anything to not act.
Just because they buy from a different website makes it worse now?
Come on

May 3, 2008
Okay thanks. I mainly just think that Control is a great effect and we all know that just about every ellusionist effect gets revealed on the web. I don't want that happening to this.

Nov 10, 2009
I'll Only tell PedoBear
Theory11 or wayne didn't sell it to ellusionist directly. I was talking to Wayne before about the AOM dvd and that was wasn't bought directly through E. What happens is that Wayne sells his tricks though Murphy's magic I think (could be a different site I dont remember) and then E buys through them.

And also Control has already been revealed on youtube, if you think T11 tricks don't get revealed on youtube you are wrong, just as many people reveal T11 products are Ellusionist products (not as much 1on1's for some reason though)

And guys lets say on topic please ;)

I'm going to agree with visualartist, no company is pardoned from the littered youngins that buy effects use the standard presentation and ruin the effect. There are plenty of those people on here, E, and any other magic website you can think of.

Don't judge anybody or anything when it's all based on assumptions and profiling.

Now since I did contribute I am going to say this, Creeper you are 14 like you said and where do you get the gall to call on somebody who not only is older and more mature than you and has contributed more? He is a successful person, has a life, and actually does what many of us here are trying to achieve.

You are neither old enough and obviously not mature enough to be telling what a grown man should do with his time. I have talked with him personally, and believe me he knows more than you will in your time. Lastly if you wanna make another crack about ooooo look whos defending Will then please keep it to yourself. Nobody wants you or anybody making the same generic comments from another immature teenager.

I think any effect produced by certain magicians with a pre-disposed following by a younger generation (Garcia, Madison, Houchin, Etc) are going to be at risk for internet exposure almost by default. Sure there are those of us who seriously want to push the art and the business, but in reality we're out numbered by those with just a passing interests. It's the latter that I think we see the most exposure from. They don't respect the art, they are just doing it because it "looks cool."

May 3, 2008
I think any effect produced by certain magicians with a pre-disposed following by a younger generation (Garcia, Madison, Houchin, Etc) are going to be at risk for internet exposure almost by default. Sure there are those of us who seriously want to push the art and the business, but in reality we're out numbered by those with just a passing interests. It's the latter that I think we see the most exposure from. They don't respect the art, they are just doing it because it "looks cool."

I completely agree with that. While I don't want this to turn into another "I hate youtube" thread I do find that the internet can be both a burden and a curse. There isn't a single decent magic shop in my entire state so having the ability to order such great magic off of the internet is truly a blessing but at the same time it's causing a lot of exposure. I can't tell you how many times I've typed an effect into google to see where it could be purchased from and found results from youtube explaining the effect horribly and results from torrent sites where you can just download the dvd. They don't really respect the art and I suppose there's nothing that can be done but it is quite a shame.

At least Control is an effect that requires another person to take the pulse and 97% of the people who post on YouTube never perform for other people in their videos (and probably in real life as well.) I feel a bit hypocritical because I never perform for anyone in my videos but I do them on the fly and don't really have anyone to perform for.

Apr 1, 2009
California
Where do you live again Penguincdude? Colorado? Thought I read that a few times.

I've been to a decent store here a few times. Got my AOA series there.

Anyway. I do find it a bit wrong to judge all of E as a whole (or a half in the case of your post) because at least half the members are also on here, or even artists that we have come to respect to some degree. I personally try to avoid politics when it comes to where things are sold. If I can support the artist I will try my best to do so, but otherwise, a good effect is still a good effect no matter where you buy it from. I will leave the politics to the stores and creators. If they ask for my help for whatever reason, I will probably think differently. I'm personally not threatened whatsoever by the kids/adults on youtube. So what, they expose tricks. I know I've still managed to buy tricks that I've accidentally seen exposed, because I know that the real education comes from either the book or watching the artist explain it. I'm a musician as well, I see soooo many tutorials for Moonlight Sonata, so many terrible performances of it as well, that does not threaten me whatsoever. What I consider my competition are the actual artists and creators that are actually working and have a career and are actually great performers. In the end it's the strong that will survive. If you keep your own morals and you keep buying you shouldn't have to worry.

Sorry for the long post.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
As another people say don't bash people who buys things on E. Also people expouse things on Theory11 a lot. This thread really grow under 2 hours!

Nov 8, 2007

Charlie

I think you should spend more time worrying about the magic you're learning and performing and less about the politics of companies you don't work for, or what kids fumbling through effects on YouTube are doing.

Good Luck & Happy Magic

May 3, 2008
Where do you live again Penguincdude? Colorado? Thought I read that a few times.

I've been to a decent store here a few times. Got my AOA series there.

Anyway. I do find it a bit wrong to judge all of E as a whole (or a half in the case of your post) because at least half the members are also on here, or even artists that we have come to respect to some degree. I personally try to avoid politics when it comes to where things are sold. If I can support the artist I will try my best to do so, but otherwise, a good effect is still a good effect no matter where you buy it from. I will leave the politics to the stores and creators. If they ask for my help for whatever reason, I will probably think differently. I'm personally not threatened whatsoever by the kids/adults on youtube. So what, they expose tricks. I know I've still managed to buy tricks that I've accidentally seen exposed, because I know that the real education comes from either the book or watching the artist explain it. I'm a musician as well, I see soooo many tutorials for Moonlight Sonata, so many terrible performances of it as well, that does not threaten me whatsoever. What I consider my competition are the actual artists and creators that are actually working and have a career and are actually great performers. In the end it's the strong that will survive. If you keep your own morals and you keep buying you shouldn't have to worry.

Sorry for the long post.

Yes I live in Colorado. I've done some research but couldn't really find anything on magic shops. If you would, I'd love for you to PM me with the name of the store you described.

As for everyone else, I realize that I saw the entire Ellusionist community as a whole and I guess that was a bit wrong but you can't deny that there are a lot more amateurs on Ellusionist revealing magic than on Theory 11. I just hate to see people learning and abusing such a great effect.

And yes I realize that it isn't to big of a deal. I just saw that and felt a small flame on anger.

Thanks everyone for your opinions though (in a non sarcastic way.) I really do appreciate it. This thread could have gone very badly however, for the most part, it's remained under control.

Jan 13, 2008
but you can't deny that there are a lot more amateurs on Ellusionist revealing magic than on Theory 11.
I absolutely can deny that, as you've likely based that on zero actual data, and instead are constructing this difference in your head (it can't be based off of "observation", as I'm sure you don't have access to the sales data from E or from T11 to make such an observation).

This has to be one of the silliest threads I've seen on here. There was a verbal lambasting by some members towards each other, there were ridiculous claims made by a bunch of members, and there's been hardly any actual content to this thread. Luckily there are a few people with their head screwed on straight enough to realize that E is a magic company like any other, and are free to sell whichever products they so choose to. Really, what is there to discuss in this thread? Reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results