Control - First Impressions

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I'll try and break this down as much as I can.

The Reactions
For those of you who have seen the effect, you have an idea of how powerful it can be. But, you may not fully realize just how much you can affect someone with this until you see Wayne perform it at the private party. The people don't freak out. They watch in stunned silence. After it is through, they kept talking about it, asking if he was okay, and just buzzing about it in general. Build this one up a bit before you do it if you can. The end result will be worth it.

The Method
The method is simple. You won't think of it until you see it. Then you will kick yourself. And then kick yourself again. Before revealing the method, Wayne actually asks for you to set anything aside you can hurl at your TV screen so you don't become tempted to throw it in a eureka moment. If Randall can do it, you can too. However, do not assume simple method equates to simple effect. When you see the reactions of the people Wayne does this to, you'll realize that.

The Performances
Wayne shows a few different performances of this effect. This aids immensely in your learning process as it demonstrates crowd control, making sure everyone gets the same out of the performance, and picking the right volunteers.

The Teaching
The teaching, in my opinion, was phenomenal. It went over every little detail. How to pick the best helper for the effect, the angles (not about exposing the effect, but to make sure everyone can see whats going on), the angles of the effect itself (which is virtually angle proof), the mindset you should be in when performing it, the body language to make the effect more believable, the psychology of the effect, and anything else you can think of. He breaks down what he did in the performance you are shown so you can see step by step what is happening. You will be left with very few, if any at all, questions.

Daniel Garcias' Stop
This was a really cool addition to the video. It is a great follow up to Control if you get the "Do it again!" mantra. It actually lets the spectator hear your heart stop. Danny explains he did this to a nurse at a bar, and she went screaming around the bar yelling that he was dead. That alone makes it sound like a great effect. There are also some other situational benefits this has over Control, which will be apparent when you watch the video.

The Teachers
As I said before, the teaching is phenomenal. Wayne is meticulous about explaining everything thinkable dealing with the effect. He is relaxed as he is in his other videos, making it an enjoyable learning experience. No up tight, overly serious teachers here. Bring in Danny, and its just awesome. It really is a fun and relaxing atmosphere they create.

Randall
Full of awesome. Wayne teaches Randall the effect, and then takes him to the streets. The video is worth it alone for this section. Not only is it fun to watch, but, in its own sort of strange way, it shows you what beginner mistakes not to make. But, it's more about watching Randall over dramatize his heart stopping. And who can resist a fellow as sharp looking as Randall yelling at you "Wanna see a magic show?"

The Recap
All in all, Control is a solid effect. It is great for those who love impromptu effects. As is mentioned on the video, when someone walks up to you and says "Hey, do a trick," If you know Control/Stop, you will always be prepared to floor them. I am very pleased with it, and for the amount of information contained inside, the price is reasonable. I would highly recommend it.

My Performance
Surely you don't think I would be out doing this on people already? ;)
When I finally do try this one someone, I'll edit this portion.

-ThrallMind

Dec 5, 2007
Great review =)

One question, Does wayne teach you ways to do it even if you have a very high pulse?I worked on this method a long time ago but could not find a way to overcome that problem. If so i will get the dvd :)

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Can anyone post the difference between DVD and download, cause i can only get download, will i get all the effects and what am i missing to?

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
The method is simple. You won't think of it until you see it. Then you will kick yourself. And then kick yourself again.

True genius is impossible to see until it's explained. Then it appears so completely obvious, you can't believe you didn't know it already.

Danny explains he did this to a nurse at a bar, and she went screaming around the bar yelling that he was dead.

Man... if I still hung around the vampire crowd, I would so buy this. I might do it anyway, but dude, do you have any idea the kind of women you could be bringing home from those parties with this?

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
fridolina said:
One question, Does wayne teach you ways to do it even if you have a very high pulse?

This will work regardless of how fast or slow your normal pressure is.

FliXeRoCk107 said:
Hey, what about the watch stop?

The watch stop was not so much an extra effect like Stop, but more of a handling of a borrowed watch to make it stop. If that makes sense?

Toby said:
Can anyone post the difference between DVD and download, cause i can only get download, will i get all the effects and what am i missing to?

No one could have received the DVD as of yet, but I would venture a guess based off of how big the download was, that you will not miss a thing.

CDarklock said:
but dude, do you have any idea the kind of women you could be bringing home from those parties with this?

Or make them worried you could croak at any moment ;)

Which one of the party goers on the video actually mentioned, now that I think of it.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
First impression:

FREAKING AWESOME! The full footage of the party you performed this at Wayne probably has more tips and helpful material than I could have possibly imagined. At least half of those comments following the effect should have been in the teasers.

--Jim

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
Or make them worried you could croak at any moment ;)

Remember what kind of parties I'm talking about. That's not a detractor.

Here's my big question: once you know the technique, how long does it take before you can effectively perform? Is this something where you can watch the DVD, and then just turn around and go do it for people... or do you need time to practice and an assistant to let you know when you're doing it right?

Sep 2, 2007
Great review. It was a good read-- thanks for posting it.
Taken from Wayne Houchin, himself:
Hey guys - The download includes the full main feature - Control, Stop by DG, Dexter, Randall etc - it doesn't include a few bonus out-takes & the full interview with Dexter. We're making changes to the order page right now so that is more clear.
Cheers,
JTM

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Remember what kind of parties I'm talking about. That's not a detractor.

Here's my big question: once you know the technique, how long does it take before you can effectively perform? Is this something where you can watch the DVD, and then just turn around and go do it for people... or do you need time to practice and an assistant to let you know when you're doing it right?

As with any effect, you should practice a good bit before you perform it. Control, however, you need to practice with a friend before you go out and perform.

-ThrallMind

Nov 1, 2007

It's suggested that you get a partner to help you practice, though you won't need a stooge or anything for the actual performance - and if you're alone and desperate, you can technically practice by yourself. In all honesty, you'll probably have the method down in about 15 minutes, and from there, it's just going to be practicing your presentation (if you have Stigmata, you might know what I'm talking about - extremely simple method, so all you really need to practice is the performance).

I'll be a bit more accurate - you'll nail the method down within 10-15 minutes of trying it on your own (this is not hard at all). From there, it's only experimenting to learn consistency and timing. You can safely spend all that practice time working on your physical demeanor and presentation (which you'll need for this). This is definitely one for the actors in the crowd.

Oct 18, 2007
Hahah, I'm already practicing how I'm going to act since I can't buy it yet. Nice to hear the method is that easy.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results