Control -- Who else thinks...

Sep 1, 2007
Who else thinks that you will bust out laughing in the middle of doing control, the part where you are dead? hahah, I for one think I may do so. Got to work on my acting skills if I'm going to buy this. Anyone else have this problem? I tend to smile some when I fool someone real bad, but they don't know it yet. That would kill control.

Sep 1, 2007
Who else thinks that you will bust out laughing in the middle of doing control, the part where you are dead? hahah, I for one think I may do so. Got to work on my acting skills if I'm going to buy this.

Then it becomes more of a trick and less and effect. But ti's still pretty damn funny. They're like "are you OK?" And you're like "BLA!"

Funny you should say that,
I was thinking that to myself, since its hard not smile when you know you've accomplished something without your spectator seeing it.

You just have to hold it back, much like telling a little white lie.

-RA69

If anyone does think that they may laugh mid-effect when using Control, I'd implore you to all practice hard at playing it straight before ever trying this out on someone.

Laugh...and this becomes what it actually is; a trick, something to figure out, something to badger the magician over.

Play it straight (and by 'straight' i do not mean "Ooooo...lookee here at me, oh mystical lord of the night...kinda' rubbish") and this has the power to be mind-numbing to someone on the receiving end. How can i say that when i don't know how it's done? Easy...all you have to do is think of what you're doing, slowing and the stopping your heart. At the same time that it is overall impossible to do so, it is also wildly known as mildy scientifically and mythologically possible.

Example 01:
Mostly everyone who has ever done any sport of any kind (especially in a gym where you can monitor your heart rate) knows that with controlled (no pun intended) breathing, one can regulate their heart rate. You could be running full pelt, heart-rate bleeping for all it's worth, then suddenly break into a fast walk and take deep, steady breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth and actually watch your heart rate fall. Only takes seconds to achieve and is startling to watch.

Example 02:
It is commonly believed that certain people can, through meditation, lower their heart rate to such a degree that they can be mistaken for dead. This...is total rubbish, as to pass as dead you would have to display zero pulse for an amount of time that would kill you anyway if you could actually stop your heart for that long. That this is believed by so many and known by even more however, is not in question.

Therefore, the two examples alone (no other presentation ideas needed) elevate Control (and indeed, any pulse stopping effect) into unchartered realms.

So many people understand the principle and so many of that group would be open to the suggestion that someone, somewhere, may actually be able to pull off such a stunt...that you doing it for them right there and then is going to fry them. They've heard the stories, read the National Enquirer, seen the movies, watched the documentaries...they believe, even on a sub-conscious level, that this is entirely possible to do yet almost impossible to fathom, and here you are, bold as brass...doing it for them whilst they themselves feel it happen.

This is no mere card or coin trick...it's a flat out miracle.

Or a compete joke...depending on how you treat it.

I've been waiting for Wayne to release this for longer than he's been thinking of doing it and i can tell you all one thing...I won't be performing it anytime soon. Not until it finds the correct place in my life, not until it is finessed to as close to perfection for my style as possible...and not until I can be confident that anyone watching me perform it is going to stay awake at night after, positive that what they saw that day was real, or at the very least...the freakiest thing they've ever seen and, more importantly...

Felt.

All magic deserves our complete dedication and respect, that is a given. But I, personally, feel that this particular effect deserves that little bit more.

Peace ma' brutha's.

Rabid

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I am going to put this very simply:

If you cannot control yourself you shouldn't think about performing this until you are capable of perfecting the presentation. If you want to cheapen the value of the effect and treat it as a joke then by all means that is your business but I think you will be doing yourself a disservice in doing so.

I am sure there are quite a few hardcore mentalist guys around here that are shuddering at the thought of this getting into a beginners hands. Like Rabid I probably won't perform this for awhile until I am confident and believe in what I am doing from start to finish with this effect.

This is likely to be one of those effects that can either make or break you in your audiences eyes for a long time to come. If you play it off as a joke or ruin the moment by getting out of character during the presentation you will probably be remembered as nothing more than a trickster who did something neat instead of something magical.

--Jim

I am going to throw this out there that it is probably not a good idea for you younger guys to do this for your parents. The last thing a parent wants to see is a their kid's being able to stop their pulse.....

Sep 1, 2007
I've said this before and I'll say it again.

Too few people think about presentation. I shudder to think how many god awful performances we're going to see in the coming months from guys performing this just to try and show off a "bad boy" side to their personality that in reality either doesn't exist or is actually very tame and immediately suppressed after they leave Hot Topic.

I'll be buying Control the day it comes out, but I already have multiple routines planned for it. I have one in fact that I'm keeping to myself and a select few for the time being, but you'll all see this spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
I haven't really thought about that... Of course, I'm not in the habbit of busting out laughing during anyperformance. I'm usually a little nervous at the least.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results