Copper and Silver

englandzilon

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Hi,

I am very new to coin magic. Copper and Silver the trick is my first coin trick that i have learnt. After performing i realised that they think the coin has 2 faces? I tried to show the coin casually while not showing the other side. Any advice i can have? Or is there a dvd or book that i can learn more using the copper and silver gimmick?

cheers.

Reactions: notsoltd
Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I perform a copper/silver routine in the spectators hands that doesn't use a gaff since I've never owned a copper/silver half. Here's what I would do though.

1.) Allow the two coins to be thoroughly examined since they are real at this point.
2.) Perform an impromptu version of the effect not using the gaff. They hold both coins in their fist and take one out and hand it to you. I usually use Greg Wilson's Pitch and Ditch for a really visual change but in this case, I'd make it not-so-visual.
3.) Offer to do it one more time. Switch one of the two coins with the gaff, it doesn't matter which.
4.) Perform it again only this time, the gaff makes it a bit cleaner and more fair. You can get a super visual change this time too.
5.) Have them open their hand to reveal the other coin. The moment they're looking into the spectators hand for confirmation that they've transposed is the moment you'll switch the gaff for the normal coin so you're left clean.

You can learn everything you need to know to construct this routine in J.B. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. There are also several other routines using a copper/silver half taught in the book and you can pick it up for less than $5 on Amazon. It's really a steal.

Reactions: Josh Burch

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
he strongest routines that I know with this gimmick involve a switch at some point. This allows the participant to examine both coins and get rid of the suspicion of a double sided coin.

I'm curious what does your routine look like in the eyes of the audience? The classic routine I know with a Copper/Silver coin is to put 2 coins in the participants hand, a copper and silver coin. The magician removes the silver coin from their fist. The magician makes a magic gesture and the silver coin turns into a copper coin. The participant then opens their hand and they are shown to be holding the silver coin.

Does that sound like the routine you are performing? If it is you could switch the coin after you have made it change. So the audience sees the silver coin turn copper, you wait a beat and pass it to the other hand (switching the coin). You then say, "If I have the copper coin you must have the silver." You can then hand them an ungimmicked copper coin and you can ditch the trick coin in your pocket. They wont see you ditch the coin because their focus is on the two normal coins.

How do you switch the coin? There are a bunch of ways. Classic ways to switch a coin include a Shuttle Pass, Bobo Switch or the Spellbound move. You can find these on You Tube but I recommend you check out Bobo's Coin Magic. You will get a bunch of switches in the book. If you like that move on to the work of David Roth and Eric Jones.

Remember with the switch, it should not look like you are switching coins suspiciously. It should only look like you are passing the coin from one hand to the other. In the audiences mind nothing happens till the moment they open their hand, by that time its too late.

englandzilon

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
he strongest routines that I know with this gimmick involve a switch at some point. This allows the participant to examine both coins and get rid of the suspicion of a double sided coin.

I'm curious what does your routine look like in the eyes of the audience? The classic routine I know with a Copper/Silver coin is to put 2 coins in the participants hand, a copper and silver coin. The magician removes the silver coin from their fist. The magician makes a magic gesture and the silver coin turns into a copper coin. The participant then opens their hand and they are shown to be holding the silver coin.

Does that sound like the routine you are performing? If it is you could switch the coin after you have made it change. So the audience sees the silver coin turn copper, you wait a beat and pass it to the other hand (switching the coin). You then say, "If I have the copper coin you must have the silver." You can then hand them an ungimmicked copper coin and you can ditch the trick coin in your pocket. They wont see you ditch the coin because their focus is on the two normal coins.

How do you switch the coin? There are a bunch of ways. Classic ways to switch a coin include a Shuttle Pass, Bobo Switch or the Spellbound move. You can find these on You Tube but I recommend you check out Bobo's Coin Magic. You will get a bunch of switches in the book. If you like that move on to the work of David Roth and Eric Jones.

Remember with the switch, it should not look like you are switching coins suspiciously. It should only look like you are passing the coin from one hand to the other. In the audiences mind nothing happens till the moment they open their hand, by that time its too late.

When will i take out the ordinary coin for the switch?
Is it after the change than take out the ordinary coin and switch?

cheers.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
When will i take out the ordinary coin for the switch?
Is it after the change than take out the ordinary coin and switch?

cheers.
Display the 2 coins (The gaff and the other) in one hand and hold the other coin in a finger palm from the very beginning. The audience should never know it's there.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results