Crazy - Awesome Decartes Magic Trick!

Sep 1, 2007
The routine:

The jokers are shown. Two cards are selected and put beneath the jokers.

The magician relates a story of how everything is in doubt and that nothing exists unless the spectator believes it does. The magician is then berated for ripping off Decartes. The magician loses the two selections in the deck, leaving just the jokers.

One joker is rubbed over the other. The second joker is now magically upside-down and when turned face up is revealed to be the first selection. The second joker is then rubbed over the first, which visually changes into the second selection.

The magician then flicks the two selections, which instantly change back into the jokers.

In one final moment of philosophical irony, it is revealed that the jokers never really existed in the first place, and vanish.

This is my decartes routine. Since I'm philosophically against Youtube, I won't post a video of how it looks. All fo the sleights are pretty easy to figure out.

If the trick is too stupid to figure out, at least you might be able to use the patter. Remember, start out with this little one-liner:

It's awful--I'm in love with a philosophy major. Not only does she not know I exist, she can prove it, too...

Sep 1, 2007
austria
sounds like a nice routine!
of course it's always a little hard to say if you can't see it and only read a description, but it sure sounds pretty good. i also like the idea of the philosophical story, because finally it all comes down to the presentation. anyway, have you ever thought about looking up "decartes" on wikipedia, because i think you missed something... ;)

Decartes @ Wikipedia

Sep 1, 2007
sounds like a nice routine!
of course it's always a little hard to say if you can't see it and only read a description, but it sure sounds pretty good. i also like the idea of the philosophical story, because finally it all comes down to the presentation. anyway, have you ever thought about looking up "decartes" on wikipedia, because i think you missed something... ;)

Decartes @ Wikipedia

I know about Decartes...you know..."everything is in doubt," "I think therefore I am."

We're thinking of the same Decartes, right?

Aug 31, 2007
It sounds like a nice presentation, though I personally wouldn't use it. Unless the presentation about Descartes is short and sweet... you see, I prefer short, sweet, direct presentation over stories. :D

Anyway, to say it again: very nice presentation, using something you learn and apply it in magic. Always adds a personal touch.

- harapan. magic!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results