Creating Surprise in One Coin Routines

Mar 14, 2014
I love one coin routines. However, recently, while performing a three phase routine consisting of an amalgam of different moves, my spectator remarked that while the routine looked cool they weren't surprised. I think they meant that while they didn't see any palming they knew that I was hiding the coin somehow in my hands. Any suggestions for directing attention away from this assumption in order to strengthen the magic?

Apr 17, 2013
Peter Samelson covered how to make one coin routines work in his Penguin Lecture. It is worth the pick up for everything he covers.

Jun 27, 2013
Can you describe your routine to us, so we may break it down and try to help you improve on it.

Mar 14, 2014
I do a few different routines, but the one in question is straightforward. First phase is a production of the coin from a pen cap. I use the one I learned from a David Stone DVD. Then I secretly retrieve a second coin and with a shuttle pass action I make it seem like I produce several other coins, each time transferring hand to hand with a shuttle pass and putting it in my pocket. Finally I use a striking gains to make it seem like the coin goes back into the pen cap. It's a brisk sequence which I use before using the pen in my routine.

Oct 5, 2012
I think the big factor is creating the possibility for surprise by establishing a pattern and then breaking it. For example, David Roth's flurry creates the expectation (the coin is always in the other hand), then breaks it with a total vanish before adding the very unexpected jumbo coin. The first sets up the premise, the second establishes the pattern, the third seems to follow the pattern, but deviates unexpectedly. If you are looking to create surprise, you need to generate a pattern of expectations first.

Dec 20, 2014
I use the one I learned from a David Stone DVD. Then I secretly retrieve a second coin and with a shuttle pass action I make it seem like I produce several other coins, each time transferring hand to hand with a shuttle pass and putting it in my pocket. Finally I use a striking gains to make it seem like the coin goes back into the pen cap. It's a brisk sequence which I use before using the pen in my routine.???

Dec 18, 2014
I am suggesting to you to check out Solo By Kainoa Harbottle. Helped me alot to understand one coin routines :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results