Creating the Same Trick

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So whenever I create a completely original trick (effect or method), I always have a little panicky mind set. Part of me wants to release it instantly, thinking that somebody else will come across it the same way, but I know I should practice and perform the effect extensively to find all the ins and outs of the handling.

What are the odds that someone will come up with the same effect and release it? And should I release an effect sooner?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
And should I release an effect sooner?

No. That's how you get known for releasing crap that isn't practical in the real world.

Chances are you won't create anything that is both completely original, and also practical in the real world. That's not a slam against you, specifically, just that some of the smartest people in the history of the planet were magicians and they were creating for possibly thousands of years before you came along. The chances of coming up with something truly original are pretty slim.

That's why I always advise everyone to assume anything they created was published in a book a hundred years ago.

Which is the other side of rushing things out to the market - You haven't had time to do the research and make sure it actually is original.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
No. That's how you get known for releasing crap that isn't practical in the real world.

Chances are you won't create anything that is both completely original, and also practical in the real world. That's not a slam against you, specifically, just that some of the smartest people in the history of the planet were magicians and they were creating for possibly thousands of years before you came along. The chances of coming up with something truly original are pretty slim.

That's why I always advise everyone to assume anything they created was published in a book a hundred years ago.

Which is the other side of rushing things out to the market - You haven't had time to do the research and make sure it actually is original.
Thanks Chris!
I've been doing the specific effects I'm talking about for about a year now, but keep coming up with new ones.
I checked on Conjuring arts for the first effect, and found only 2 written records of similar effects, both done differently.

By the way, does anyone know how to search for things on conjuring arts now? I went to the site last night and typed stuff in, but it seemed completely different and wouldn't show me what I needed.

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Id suggest to never rush out any idea or creation. I put out "Tour de Force" after working it out for over 5 years, and honestly I am still making little tweaks here and there. Unless this is the next groundbreaking effect that you can retire on lol id suggest keep working on it until you are extremely confident that it is perfect for the real world.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Feb 1, 2017
The more I study magic (card and coin specifically) the more I've realized that there are only so many effects, and you probably haven't created a unique one. Vanish, levitate, destroy and restore, transpo, color change, and some other effects. So many tricks are just these effects, but disguised as something else.

I bought TiVo Transpo from Dan and Dave long ago. The effect is essentially having a top card switch places with a middle card in the deck. The method was fairly difficult when I first started magic and it had angle issues. After studying magic for a few months I eventually figured out a way to achieve the same effect, but with a different, cleaner method; however, I didn't create anything new. I just made another carbon copy transpo.

The core effect you have come up with is probably not unique. The method is probably not unique either or just a variation of what already exists to fit the context of your effect. The one thing that you can be sure to change is the presentation. French Kiss is just a better version of Switchcraft, but is essentially the same thing. Have you reimagined an existing effect and made it better? If you have, then I would think nobody will come up with the same thing and release it any time soon because it came from your imagination. That gives you time to really perfect it, test it's real world applications, and edit a beast trailer that will mislead tons of magicians into buying your effect.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
The more I study magic (card and coin specifically) the more I've realized that there are only so many effects, and you probably haven't created a unique one. Vanish, levitate, destroy and restore, transpo, color change, and some other effects. So many tricks are just these effects, but disguised as something else.

I bought TiVo Transpo from Dan and Dave long ago. The effect is essentially having a top card switch places with a middle card in the deck. The method was fairly difficult when I first started magic and it had angle issues. After studying magic for a few months I eventually figured out a way to achieve the same effect, but with a different, cleaner method; however, I didn't create anything new. I just made another carbon copy transpo.

The core effect you have come up with is probably not unique. The method is probably not unique either or just a variation of what already exists to fit the context of your effect. The one thing that you can be sure to change is the presentation. French Kiss is just a better version of Switchcraft, but is essentially the same thing. Have you reimagined an existing effect and made it better? If you have, then I would think nobody will come up with the same thing and release it any time soon because it came from your imagination. That gives you time to really perfect it, test it's real world applications, and edit a beast trailer that will mislead tons of magicians into buying your effect.
Thanks. The major effect I'm talking about is a method from my own mind completely, but accomplishes an effect already present. That's basically what I figured.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
So whenever I create a completely original trick (effect or method), I always have a little panicky mind set. Part of me wants to release it instantly, thinking that somebody else will come across it the same way, but I know I should practice and perform the effect extensively to find all the ins and outs of the handling.

What are the odds that someone will come up with the same effect and release it? And should I release an effect sooner?

Surround yourself with magicians, go to your local club. When you have and idea share it with them, get their feedback and be honest with yourself about whether or not that trick really adds anything. You'll know that you are on to something when they start asking you about the trick.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Surround yourself with magicians, go to your local club. When you have and idea share it with them, get their feedback and be honest with yourself about whether or not that trick really adds anything. You'll know that you are on to something when they start asking you about the trick.
That's a very good idea! However, I don't think there is currently one near me, at least as far as I know.

I actually found out that a very similar effect was released here on the market place. It starts the same way, but I think the effects are different enough. Mine ends up happening in the hands and has a completely different handling on the second half.

Honestly, I don't really care anymore, as long as I am getting great reactions and I am still working on it, I am happy with my effect.

Reactions: HectorE1
Jul 28, 2015
I also have a color changing deck routine that I came up with a while ago, spectator can shuffle and inspect the deck, deck changes except for the selection then the selection changes in their hand for a complete deck color change

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results