Creative magic consultants

Dec 9, 2013
Hi everyone, since I am new to the theory 11 forums I feel I need to tell you a little bit about myself, so first of all my name is Connor Walsh and I am a 16 year old street magician from the UK, I started magic at age 11 when I was being constantly bullied through school, I wanted to find a way out of all the bullying but was unable to find anything that helped me but then one day I stumbled upon a David Blaine street magic special which I was immediately drawn into, since then I started to research magic and how I could learn the art and after learning a few effects I started to perform them around school this was when I noticed that magic was the answer to all my problems when performing my magic I felt safe and good about myself and even the bullies who gave me a hard time over the years started to like me. I had now achieved one of my two goals that I had set myself once I got into magic, the 1st goal was to stop the bullying which at this point I felt I had achieved that goal and my 2nd and final goal was to get my own TV show which I am still trying to do. And now secondly is why I am here at the theory 11 forums. Due to the fact that one of my goals was to get my own TV show that is currently what I am working on now and my 1st step that I am taking is to film a YouTube video project, unfortunately a lot of the tricks i use are available to purchase at most magic stores not that that's a problem I just wanted to use some visual effects that would be unique to my videos. This is why I am on this forum to ask if any of you guys would be willing to create some visual effects for me to personally use in my YouTube projects basically like a consultant who will invent visual magic for me to use in my videos, now I would do this myself but unfortunately I am not creative enough to come up with any decent ideas, however I have seen quite a few magicians recently on the wire with some very nice unique visual ideas. So if there are any upcoming magicians out their with some visual unique ideas and wants a chance to prove themselves and wouldn't mind being a consultant for me on my new upcoming YouTube projects then shoot me an E-mail over at connor_w_98@hotmail.com for more details.

Kind Regards
Connor Walsh

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Not to burst your bubble and enthusiasm but there are some realities you seem to be ignoring. Firstly, getting TV air time means that a.) you need to be novel enough to warrant the attention; b.) you have some level of following extant; c.) you have some decent money behind you. Fame now days costs a fortune; it is purchased one little nugget at a time. Youtube ain't going to get you there, you must do live SHOWS . . . street magic has been done to death, producers want more now, they're looking for novelty and some kid doing the same style of shtick that's been done a million times on Tv and on-line just isn't going to grab their attention. Andrew Mayne proved that trying to stage big illusions on the street was about as lame as you could get, so that angle is out. So what direction can you go?

First, you need to build a name and some recognition -- a following.

Second, you need to cultivate relationships with the kinds of people that can help you by dropping your name or helping you get seen by the right people in the right circumstances a.k.a. networking.

Third, you need to take a professional approach to things which means creating a tailored marketing campaign that you are going to stick with for the next 3-5 years i.e. the same SHOW (not sidewalk schtick but an actual show -- a product people buy), the same look for yourself and all of your product related materials -- web site, stationary, business cards, etc.

Bottom Line Is, you're not the only 16 year old kid with such aspirations and dreams and given the brief amount of time you have been doing magic I'm confident that you're not all that "original" or even "commercial" as of yet. . . and as I said when I first started out with this retort, I don't mean to burst your bubble but this is reality -- show business is a terrible mistress that is cruel, unfair and tons of hard work. You must be prepared to work exceptionally long hours, travel great distances and even go hungry for a while here and there. I know, I've been with some of today's legends when times were lean back when we were in our early 20's and late teens, it's part of paying your dues.

Yes, if you have loads of cash in your pocket you can buy your fame and invent demand; it's been done for generations and has become the new standard of the trade -- 4-walling locations and promoting the heck out of them.

Now, step back and take a more realistic look at life and the more raw facts about show business; how you will spend more hours making phone calls and mailing out promo packages than you do performing -- performing is a very small part of the biz. Once your youth and zeal have been crushed you are faced with a world of competition because there will always be 50 or more other acts trying to get the same gigs you're chasing.

Consider this a cold glass of water being tossed in your face to help you wake up.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results