Creative Tipping Point

Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
Does a creative tipping point exist?

http://media.theory11.com/2938-Creative-Tipping-Point

As an active member of various creative communities over the past 8yrs, I have witnessed a coming and going of dominant creative artists. No one artist has had creative dominance for more than a few years. Does this trend lend itself to a creative tipping point?

NOTE: those artists mentioned in the video (De'vo, Dan and Dave, Andrei) are not meant to be portrayed in a negative way. Each has advanced the art in substantial ways. However, I believe that it can be objectively stated that their creative acceleration has declined and/or transfered over to other disciplines (film, etc.)

Let's start the conversation. But not just for cardists, but for all artists of every discipline all around the world.

-Jason

Jul 9, 2008
well i watched your vid and i think there is a specific point in time when creativity reaches the apogee and i think its related to age.I practise magic and cardistry for developing dexterity and creativity but my main ocupation is breakdancing(bboying).Im 16 and i noticed a certain wave of creativity for the past 2 years.My ability to combine moves and to develop original stuff enhanced greatly.So yeah,i think there should be this point but not everybody will experience it in the same point in time.

sorry for my english.Im romanian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 10, 2007
here is what i posted under the video:

t's an interesting concept. I think that there probably is a creative tipping point. I think what causes it is that we only build ideas based on how we conceive cards in the first place. If you look at how it all started with tudor, you see a lot of sybil variations. Tudor was building off of what was out there and that brought him to a lot of variations on sybil. But then look at Dan and Dave, they took a lot of what Tudor did, and did their interpretation of it. There is only so many times you can change what you have seen. So people like Dan and Dave continue to think of cards the way they did when they were starting, because of this they will only change their style so much.

I think you can change this tipping point, but in order to do that, you need to drastically challenge the way you think of cards and card flourishing. Dan and Dave develop on Tudor, Tudor developed on Kenner, and the new kids develop on DnD or whomever. Its just a logical progression, what someone like Dan and Dave would need to do, is step back and look at what the new guys are doing and build a new repertoire based on just those moves and continue to think of things from that perspective. If Dan and Dave got into XCM, or De'vo got into Flourishes, you would see all kinds of new things from both groups because they are thinking of cards in a way that the other side (XCM or Flourishes) haven't been.

Nov 27, 2009
I find that the concept of a creative tipping point exists in every creative field. I'm not close enough to the tipping point to be worried about it though. I'm a magician whose creativity is just starting to creep through. I see the creative tipping point in many other art forms. For example you see musicians fall by the wayside all the time, either because they are not playing popular styles, or because they've lost their "creative edge." Look at the history of art in general, there are people whose art is popular and who are creating a lot of new material for a good while, then their output slows down, and I think the creative tipping point is a great way to describe this phenomenon.

As far as slowing the process down, I have no insight on the matter. I will say this though, as long as you have the "juices" flowing take advantage of them, and when "juices" run dry, be thankful that you had the opportunities and ideas you did.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results