Criss Angel : Out Of Hand

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Agreed.

Yeah, I Tivo'd that one... I have to admit, it was pretty rough around the edges. Especially when he did the whole Nicky Glass thing... Although he's at the top of his field, he's starting to lose my intrest and I think he's on the way down. This is why I like DB's stuff a WHOLE lot better. I'm pumped for his new show in '08.

-Matt

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
I have a friend who traveled with Andre Kole and did work for him. He has some stories to tell. His vanish of the statue of liberty he does is amusing from what I have been told.

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
Back on Topic-
I've had this discussion on E numerous times. I can't stand Criss Angel, never have. I watched his 2nd season of Mindfreak and it was just a joke to me. My neighbor who i was watching it with (who knows nothing about magic) was laughing at how asanine some of the concepts he was trying to do. With all the stooges and the camera editing, he's nothing more then a filmmaker- let alone a magician.

I feel bad for people he sucks in from home by saying "we have not met before, blah blah blah' then BAM... he does the gutbuster. A trick that's KNOWN to need a confederate in on the trick. He's insulting the intelligence of people watching him at home. I only turn on mindfreak if i need a good laugh to brighten up my day.

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
It's a different effect. It's not for the people on the screen. It's for the people watching the screen. It's a completely different audience.

Ty

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
What does that even mean? 'it's for the people watching the screen'? That's not even magic, that's a camera edit and taking credit as a 'real magician'. I have no respect for him period.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Criss Angel's style certainly isn't my cup of tea, but as far as I can see there's no sensible argument against using stooges and camera tricks. Ultimately, magical effects occur in the mind of the spectator, in Criss Angel's case, the audience watching on TV. Regardless of whether everyone you see on screen is in on it, or whether he could replicate those effects if you met him on the street, he is still producing magic.

If you go and see a stage illusion show, you don't criticize it because the performer is using the technology of theatre, lighting, smoke etc. in their magic. Therefore, why shouldn't a TV performer use the technology of their medium in their performances? Unless you have the mentality that all magic should be 100% sleight-of-hand, using no gimmicks and no setups, I think it's very difficult to argue that creating effects with editing and stooges isn't "real magic". We are all fundamentally dishonest with our audiences to some extent, we make them believe a coin is in our pocket when we have it palmed, or we have a double-backed card in a deck that they think is ordinary, so I can't see that what Criss Angel does is any different ethically.

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
I have seen a magician on stage- david copperfield. And he didn't use a camera edit on the audience to convey an illusion or story.

there is an easy argument for camera edits- it's not magic, it's not an art, it's not skill-based, it's 'hack' based because anyone can do it with enough money to buy an editing team. You might as well just watch a computer generated version of the show since EVERYTHING will be fake- it'll be about like watching him perform on T.V.

Camera editing is a 'medium' of T.V. sure, every time a camera cuts away to look at someone it's an edit, that's fine.. that's part of setting the environment. But when the camera edit is used to make an effect even work- then it's not even magic, it's nothing- period. There is NO SKILL whatsoever in camera editing or using stooges. I can't believe you argue that there is. If you believe that camera editing is part of magic and skill- i have some ocean front property to sell you in Montana.

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
I've seen Criss' stage show once, it was wonderful, definitely has the Cirque Du Soliel thing going. Even with his Japanese special, his Supernatual DVD, and his Mindfreak special (years ago), it just wasn't that interesting to me. As a stage performer, I think his take on classic illusions are great... as a "street performer," not so much.. his 'street magic' simply isn't street.

I think the only thing I've EVER seen him do on Mindfreak that was an actual street performance was Sinful. Granted there could be others but everything else seems very scripted and stoogie :D

signature.png

Sep 4, 2007
Camera editing is a 'medium' of T.V. sure, every time a camera cuts away to look at someone it's an edit, that's fine.. that's part of setting the environment. But when the camera edit is used to make an effect even work- then it's not even magic, it's nothing- period. There is NO SKILL whatsoever in camera editing or using stooges. I can't believe you argue that there is. If you believe that camera editing is part of magic and skill- i have some ocean front property to sell you in Montana.

I'm not going to get into the argument of whether camera effects and stooges are right or wrong - but I will say this. IF you are going to use stooges then at least hire people that can ACT!

The gut buster effect that was on the show where the guy walks into the middle of his group as he is filming was some of the worst acting I have ever seen and it completely took away from the concept. Acting is everything, and in that one effect even Criss was fake as hell. If your going to hire stooges hire ACTORS!

Horrible horrible.

Rd

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results