Cups & Balls - recommend a set?

Dec 15, 2008
Modesto, Califorrnia
Hello, I'm going to be purchasing a set of cup & balls, I'm not huge into magic and I've been a card guy the past 2 years. Anyone recommend a nice set of up and balls? I see a lot of different kinds from mjm magic, but they range from $14 to almost $400!

Jan 20, 2009
California
I would recommend just getting a cheap set just to practice with,
and later on if you decide you really enjoy cups and balls then put
out the cash for a nicer set. i know many people who spent over
$300 on a set only to discover the trick is not for them. i personally
enjoy cups and balls.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I have, and love, the Bizar di Magica Aluminum set. The price is alright, around $25. The cups are a little light for some serious workers.

Uday has some reasonably priced brass cups.

One thing I will suggest is buying some extra balls, especially while you learn. Please, for your sake, buy as many extras in the same size & color as you can add on to your order for the cups.

I'm not a huge fan of cups and balls, but I recently was so inspired by Paul Daniels' Chop Cup routine (link here) that I bought a very cheap Chop Cup. I'm really happy with it and it definitely expands my close-up magic repertoire, and I'll use it later on in my magic career when I start getting restaurant gigs.

Please, for your sake, buy as many extras in the same size & color as you can add on to your order for the cups.

Andrew, could you explain why please?

Maybe you should use normal cups...since when people see that you use normal props...they freak out better...I am not a fan of "magic" looking props..

Valid point, however gimmicked cups expand one's options. I also think that a magician performing with plastic cups looks very cheap and tacky, and having a nice set of cups gives the impression you're not just a clown hired out for 6 year olds party's.

Jan 20, 2009
California
Maybe you should use normal cups...since when people see that you use normal props...they freak out better...I am not a fan of "magic" looking props

I Think the props you use should reflect the type of perfomer you are, if you are a kid show perfomer paper cups
would work great, if you are a corporate worker a nicer set will be the way to go.

Nov 27, 2009
I got some off Penguin for about $20 that work nicely. I've not really performed the routine though I think (hope) I've got the moves down. I think the routine would be rather boring in my hands, but it's nice to be able to do it.

Mar 15, 2011
Try getting a set of Uday ones from penguinmagic. works for my Cups and Balls routine, They are quite inexpensive :)

Aug 31, 2007
I would agree with what some others wrote in that you should start out with some cheaper ones. Get a solid routine down (I highly recommend the Gazzo DVD), and in the future if you want to invest in some more expensive cups if you plan to use them in paid performances. Not needed, but may be worth the money!

I would just watch which cups you do get. I got a 20$ that I really like but I can't Load oranges or anything I need smaller final loads. So just take that in consideration what you want your final loads it be. Mine is a Hacky Sack!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results