Cure for warped cards?

Sep 16, 2007
texas
Hey guys, I have a small problem with almost all of my decks: they ALL get warped.

No matter where I store them, how dry my hands are, how humid (or not) the room is, they ALWAYS seem to warp.

I was afraid to open a pack of Wynns because I thought they would warp too, and what do you know? They did, and I hate it!

The warping causes the cards to start buckling, and fanning, and dribbling funny, and occasionally seperate at convex and concave bends in the middle of the pack.

I have tried placing them in my Porper clip whenever they are not in use, I have tried leaving them in there for days, weeks even, and with extra cards in the box too.

I have tried placing tons of usless SAT practice books and dictionaries on top of a deck, in a box with extra cards, and without the box.

I have even placed a pack into the freezer (do not EVER do this, it makes the problem so much worse).

Can someone please tell me a way to get the warp out? I do not live in a particularly humid environment, in fact, my area has been in a drought for quite some time, or it was at least. However, during that time, the cards STILL warped.

And the funny thing is, the cards that DONT warp are the normal regular bikes, not the more valuable ones (such as the Wynns...).

All of the custom cards I order come in the mail warped, and it drives me insane.

Does ANYONE have a solution to this?:mad:

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Hey guys, I have a small problem with almost all of my decks: they ALL get warped.

No matter where I store them, how dry my hands are, how humid (or not) the room is, they ALWAYS seem to warp.

I was afraid to open a pack of Wynns because I thought they would warp too, and what do you know? They did, and I hate it!

The warping causes the cards to start buckling, and fanning, and dribbling funny, and occasionally seperate at convex and concave bends in the middle of the pack.

I have tried placing them in my Porper clip whenever they are not in use, I have tried leaving them in there for days, weeks even, and with extra cards in the box too.

I have tried placing tons of usless SAT practice books and dictionaries on top of a deck, in a box with extra cards, and without the box.

I have even placed a pack into the freezer (do not EVER do this, it makes the problem so much worse).

Can someone please tell me a way to get the warp out? I do not live in a particularly humid environment, in fact, my area has been in a drought for quite some time, or it was at least. However, during that time, the cards STILL warped.

And the funny thing is, the cards that DONT warp are the normal regular bikes, not the more valuable ones (such as the Wynns...).

All of the custom cards I order come in the mail warped, and it drives me insane.

Does ANYONE have a solution to this?:mad:

Well, I guess the best solution would be to save them and wait for another Saturday Night Contest.

Profound thought of the day.

Katie Egleston

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
i had recently the same problem. all the decks i opened was warped. i just put em in my closet which is a bit colder than my room. had them there for 2-3 days and they were fine again.

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
Hey guys, I have a small problem with almost all of my decks: they ALL get warped. <snip> Does ANYONE have a solution to this?:mad:

How do they warp: Are they concaved with the back on the bubble? Do the opposite corners start going in different directions? I've experienced the former warp on about every Bike/Bee/Bike PokerPeek I've bought. Occasionally my Ghosts will warp like the latter, but not as often. I have one or two of every deck from E, and a deck of Guardians, and all of them have resisted serious warping.

My tips: Keep your cards stored in a room-temp to cool area, and make sure they lay flat -- not on a box edge, all DVD-style. I also regularly shuffle my decks, plain-old dealer style. This seems to give them some pop. And I've never used a Porper clip, but I do pile on the books every once in a while.

Hope this helps...

Nov 12, 2007
well, one thing that i know has worked for me, but is kind of titius, is every day after using them, i lay them out across my bed all separated and turn on my ceiling fan, and then after about an hour of that, my cards are cool, then if there are any cards in particular that are warping alot, i get two things that are skinny and flat, place the card in between them and clamp them over night.

such as maybe two squares of plexi glass that you can get from anywhere that put's in plexi glass windows, and you can usually get them for free...

then just a little clamp from wal-mart for maybe 5 bucks...

also, i noticed that sometimes my cards start warping, and then i just keep using the deck, and they get broken in and they stop warping and are fine...

Sep 8, 2007
last time i checked, while the bee stock is indeed great, stiff and thick, it warps over time fairly quickly and absorbs hand oil and moisture from the air more quickly than a deck of regular bikes ( i could be wrong, but i'm fairly certain i heard this from somewhere)

Here's the thing, cards aren't expensive, but for people who are just flat broke (damn school) it's hard to constantly buy decks. There are ways to PREVENT or PROLONG the effects of warping. Whenever you are not using a deck of cards, keep it in a card clip. Don't put it in there when they are already warped.

But remember, they're just pieces of cardboard, so don't treat them as if they are gold... unless they're Jerry's. ;)

Mitchell

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
SOLUTION : INVEST IN A PORPERS THEY WILL MAKE YOUR DECK LAST LONGER AND WILL CURE WARPINGS AND BENDINGS ON YOUR DECK.

PS. I put it on Caps to get your attention more, not because I'm screaming or mad.

Sep 16, 2007
texas
How do they warp: Are they concaved with the back on the bubble? Do the opposite corners start going in different directions? I've experienced the former warp on about every Bike/Bee/Bike PokerPeek I've bought. Occasionally my Ghosts will warp like the latter, but not as often. I have one or two of every deck from E, and a deck of Guardians, and all of them have resisted serious warping.

My tips: Keep your cards stored in a room-temp to cool area, and make sure they lay flat -- not on a box edge, all DVD-style. I also regularly shuffle my decks, plain-old dealer style. This seems to give them some pop. And I've never used a Porper clip, but I do pile on the books every once in a while.

Hope this helps...

With my Wynns, the cards are warping at different corners going different directions, but normally they warp with that bubble shape.

I have accidentally dropped cards and found them on the floor the next day, seriously warped, so I'm not so sure about laying them all out, it might make it worse. The cards I feel comfortable with warping and trying different techniques are bikes, and those just don't seem to warp, which is great and upsetting at the same time.

The Saturday night contests that deal with card mutilation and pasting and gluing and cutting make me uncomfortable, I hate it when my cards are destroyed or in bad condition (just like the &(^*$ing warping problem).

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try all of them out, and hopefully they will work for me.

If you guys stumble across anything better for curing warped cards, post them here, I'm sure more people have the same problems and could also use some suggestions.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sep 16, 2007
texas
What kind of warp is it? I used to grip the deck too tightly and it warped the bottom card only everytime i did a DL because I really grabbed the deck.

The reason the bottom card warps isnt because you're holding it too tight, its due to moist palms or sweaty hands.

I find that if I preform or practice for a prolonged period of time, my hands will get kind of sticky and sweaty, just enough so that the moisture will warp the bottom card.

The warps I normally get are full deck warps where you can "pop" the deck between concave and convex bends, basically like a contact lens.

I ordered 2 ghost decks, and they both came warped, and I have never bought from Ellusionist again. I ended up using the cards for throwing because I hated them so much.

I was so afraid the Guardians would suffer the same fate, but they dont warp and are holding up great, I love them!

Hey Stephen. You and I share the same problems, heck, I've even tried the freezer trick myself!

The way I personally fix this problem, is to play with the cards. Work them in, dribble them, spring them, shuffle them, you know. They seem to work fine after a bit.

Hope this helps!

Sep 16, 2007
texas
Hey Stephen. You and I share the same problems, heck, I've even tried the freezer trick myself!

The way I personally fix this problem, is to play with the cards. Work them in, dribble them, spring them, shuffle them, you know. They seem to work fine after a bit.

Hope this helps!

I've done this with past decks, and it does work to some degree.

It DOES get out the "pop" I mentioned earlier, but the cards themselves are disfigured and seem to be bent in different areas of the card and ruins the flatness and newness of the pack.

That's MY experience with this method at least. I tried this somewhat with the Wynns, but they started to disfigure so I threw them under a ton of books until I could find out what else I could do.

Who knew a pack of cards could have so many problems? Kind of gives you some appreciation for the work T11 has put into the Guardians, simply awesome.

Sep 1, 2007
I used to have this problem. Buying a porper really solved my card warping problems for the most part, but if you're really desperate you can try putting together a card press and see if that helps keep your decks straight. You can buy one off the usual dealers for $25-$35, but I consider that kind of a waste, so I made my own.

Get to your local hardware store and buy 2 electrical box faceplaces. They look like this

http://www.electrical-supply.net/images/products/72C6.jpg

or something like it. Important part is that it have eyelets that you can put screws in at each corner.

Get 4 long screws that will fit those holes (flat tips preferred, no sense accidentally gouging yourself). Also get 4 nuts that will fit the screws, and 4 wingnuts that also fit the screws.

Take 1 of the faceplates, put the screws at the corners, and use the regular nuts to lock them in place. Then take the other faceplate, thread it onto the screws, and let it drop down onto the other plate (it won't lay flush of course, because of the nuts in the way). Then put a wingnut on each screw.

If you followed those instructions right, you should have something that functions not unlike this...
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=7156

Except with 4 screws instead of 2. And it will cost you about $5 instead of $30 (Okay, I spent about $8 on mine so I could have rubber feet on the bottom).

I made my press so that I could "align" a deck that was about half normal cards and half gaffed cards, since they were of a different batch, they tended to bow differently. Worked like a charm, just clamp them in for a day or so.

Sep 1, 2007
Actually cards are expensive if you order them from other side of the world.
(Everything "magic related" costs atleast 150-300 % ).
Anyways, i once bought 6 ghost decks from E. and they were all warped.
(Could tell by just opening 2 random decks). I left them in the box for a few weeks and they were fine again alltough the deck i opened stayed warped ..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results