Dai Vernon - The Professor

Aug 21, 2009
Hey guys. Im one of many of you obsessed with this art and as a result i chose to write a research paper on the great Dai Vernon and his advancement of close up magic in his lifetime. Any resources that you know of at all and any advice you can give me to approach this paper would be greatly appreciated. Dai was a great man and i do hope that this paper will reflect him as well:D! -Thanks, bd.

Sep 1, 2007
David Ben has written a biography of the professor, which can be found at most magic shops.

I highly doubt that you will find a better resource anywhere.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
A lot of schools won't allow information from Wikipedia to be used in any kind of academic paper. Even assuming the writer of the paper didn't edit the information into Wikipedia then print it before a revert could be made, there is also no telling if any other scoundrels have been making malicious or ill-informed edits either.

On the other hand, the Wikipedia article does name several books and articles about Vernon. Those resources could prove to be a lot more useful - and allowable.

Sep 2, 2007
London
As Ineski mentioned, the David Ben biography will be a major help, as well as the books contained in the Essential collection, but here are a few other resources you could look at:

The Magician and the Cardsharp - Karl Johnson - the story of Dai Vernon's search for Allen Kennedy and his centre deal

Phantoms at the Card Table - David Britland & Gazzo - mainly about Walter Scott, but with some good material to give texture about the New York magic inner circle in Vernon's heyday

Revelation/Revelations - SW Erdnase & Dai Vernon - Dai Vernon's annotations on Erdnase, also containing some personal reminiscences from Persi Diaconis in the introduction

Revelations (DVD set) - Dai Vernon sessions, reminisces and generally holds court with Gary Oulette, Michael Ammar and Steve Freeman

Greater Magic - John Northern Hilliard - useful as a comprehensive overview of all branches of magic in the 1930s when Vernon was making his name, including some material contributed by Vernon himself as one of the "Card Stars of the USA"

Expert Card Technique - Jean Hugard & Frederick Braue - famously contains many Vernon techniques uncredited, hence his special additional chapter in the third edition, which is also a useful insight into his thinking

Stars of Magic - George Starke - contains many of Vernon's well known effects, and those of his contemporaries who were developing the art of close-up magic

The Vernon Chronicles Volumes 1-4 - Bruce Cervon - contain lesser known effects and sleights from Vernon and his circle, plus historical notes, especially in Volume 4 which is effectively a Vernon biography

The Vernon Touch - a compilation of Vernon's columns in Genii magazine

Early Vernon - Dai Vernon & Faucett Ross - Vernon's original $20 manuscript, with additional material and history

In addition, to understand the development of close-up magic in parallel with Vernon's life, it would be useful to have read the early Hugard books, especially the Card Manipulations/More Card Manipulations series, and Close-Up Magic (originally Close-Up Magic for the Night-Club Magician. And, of course, to understand Vernon, Erdnase is essential.

Hope this is useful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Spirit of Magic is a documentary on Dai Vernon. Done in 1999, aired in Canada. I had a chance to watch it at one point, though cannot recall where. It'd be a good watch/resource.

Aug 21, 2009
THank you all very mch for your help with this. i appreciate all ur responses as they will better help me understand about Vernon. THanx agen -bd

Dec 4, 2009
Sources- well.. You can read his books..

Giobbi put out some notes a few months ago on his Vernon lecture tour.. Check those out maybe.. They are about 30 bucks are are a gem.

Just make sure that you cite them so that you don't get plagiarized.

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
A lot of schools won't allow information from Wikipedia to be used in any kind of academic paper. Even assuming the writer of the paper didn't edit the information into Wikipedia then print it before a revert could be made, there is also no telling if any other scoundrels have been making malicious or ill-informed edits either.

On the other hand, the Wikipedia article does name several books and articles about Vernon. Those resources could prove to be a lot more useful - and allowable.

I actually discovered a loophole for that rule when I was in college. Alot of Wikipedia articles have citations throughout and you can click the citation and it'll take you to a list of links on the bottom of the article. You can then use that link as the source rather than Wikipedia itself.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I actually discovered a loophole for that rule when I was in college. Alot of Wikipedia articles have citations throughout and you can click the citation and it'll take you to a list of links on the bottom of the article. You can then use that link as the source rather than Wikipedia itself.

Well yeah, that's what I was trying to say in a more roundabout way. But it would probably be best to actually read the cited source, too.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results