Daniel Madison’s ‘Hunger’ ends with hospitalization.

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
I never really understood why he was doing it, but it doesn't really suprise me that someone who stopped eating for 44 days ended up in the hospital. It's amazing that he made it as far as he did.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I think he said he was only eating 2000 calories a week, and I thought That was how many a person was supposed to eat a day.

Your right. An average calorie diet should be at least 2,000 calories a day, while he was eating 2,000 calories a week

-KingOfSpades07

Personally, I don't see the point in going that long without eating. Publicity? Money? I think it's by far different than the stunts DB does, but not in a good way. No disrespect to Daniel, but in the end it's no different than a teenage girl not eating for a month. Sadly, that happens entirely way to often as is. Best of luck to him though for a speedy recovery.

Just my thoughts... :)
Steve

Wow, E is making d+M into a celebrity of sorts.....I'm pretty sure this is why is stopping making new material for a long time. He wants to "go back into the shadows from which he came."
Anyway, this is sort of old news, at least for those who frequent Madison's site.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Personally, I don't see the point in going that long without eating. Publicity? Money? I think it's by far different than the stunts DB does, but not in a good way. No disrespect to Daniel, but in the end it's no different than a teenage girl not eating for a month. Sadly, that happens entirely way to often as is. Best of luck to him though for a speedy recovery.

Just my thoughts... :)
Steve

Well, we are not D+M so we cannot know for sure... in fact, do you remember the thing he does with the knife? he has said that he has a big scar from that, but he keeps doing it because he feels that doing that is a great way to concentrate and calm the mind.... whatever, publicity or not, is admirable what he is doing....

Cheers!

Well, we are not D+M so we cannot know for sure... in fact, do you remember the thing he does with the knife? he has said that he has a big scar from that, but he keeps doing it because he feels that doing that is a great way to concentrate and calm the mind.... whatever, publicity or not, is admirable what he is doing....

Cheers!

How do you see starving yourself admirable?? That's nothing to admire anyone for. Maybe the reason he did it, but to me I see it as pointless. Regardless, it's not my position to judge him based on why he did it, what his intentions were, etc. But none the less, this is a message board and I just wanted to throw my opinion out there.

Cheers!
Steve

P.S. Do Americans say "cheers!" or is that strictly an aussie thing??? Serious question BTW. ;)

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
How do you see starving yourself admirable?? That's nothing to admire anyone for. Maybe the reason he did it, but to me I see it as pointless. Regardless, it's not my position to judge him based on why he did it, what his intentions were, etc. But none the less, this is a message board and I just wanted to throw my opinion out there.

Cheers!
Steve

P.S. Do Americans say "cheers!" or is that strictly an aussie thing??? Serious question BTW. ;)

touche, hahaha, well I do not speak english so maybe the word "admirable" was the wrong thing to say, what I wanted to mean is that I respect what he is doing and I hope that he is doing it for the right reasons, If somehow I discovered that he is doing it just for publicity, well I would not like it very much, but if he is doing it because of a personal test or because he needs to find his ineer self(jaja) well, that its his decision and I respect it....

thanks for pointing out the thing with the "admirable word"

BTW, I use "Cheers" everytime because I am a friendly guy and it looks like a friendly word...haha..

CHEERS!

just joking, jaja.:D

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
2000 calories a week is freakin' insane!!!!!
and i thought Michael Phelps eating 12000 calories a day was insane......

either way, eating next to nothing doesn't make a person more admirable than someone who eats loads of junk food every day.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I don't get why he did it... at all. Like Steve said, it sounds like something a teenage girl would do. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Daniel as both a flourisher and a magician, but I think this particular thing was stupid.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
dudes. Did you guys not hear what he said when he first launched his starvation stunt????

He did this to test his mind. He wanted to test his mind and see how far he can take it. It's like hurting yourself on purpose to see if you can take the pain.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
dudes. Did you guys not hear what he said when he first launched his starvation stunt????

He did this to test his mind. He wanted to test his mind and see how far he can take it. It's like hurting yourself on purpose to see if you can take the pain.

So it's the mental version of Emo and depressed kids slitting their wrists? Sounds like a bucketful of fun to me. :rolleyes:

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Funny I like to see you do it.

Why? He was saying it was stupid, not easy.

I don't get why he did it... at all. Like Steve said, it sounds like something a teenage girl would do.

Said teenage girls normally do that out of self-esteem problems and overall peer review. Madison did it as a test of his willpower and mental capacity to accept constant difficulty. So, really, it's not at all like a teenage girl would do. With that logic, you could say, "Oh he does coin tricks. Like the girl who gave me change at the gas station".

It's a mental endurance stunt, and I'm not yet one to claim it was for publicity, as many people don't even know about it, and supposedly he destroyed all records of the event. This might change in the oncoming months, should Madison start bringing it up more and spreading it around (as he already seems to be writing accounts of it over again), which is why I reserve judgement. Daniel does have a penchant for the, "I'm mysterious and have secrets and you don't get to know about it" routine, so we'll see if this is another addition.

As far as the stunt itself - I was interested. I like performance art and endurance stunts. They seem pointless and stupid from the outside, but that's because of their personal nature - on the receiving end, there's a lot of sensory input and a lot of thinking going on during. Imagining yourself in their character and looking at the process and the overall impact can be insightful and a look at the human character (Above the Below, for example)

It could also just be dumb and a waste of time (Vertigo or Revolution, for example).

The thread is coasting along until the inevitable, "It is all just a matter of opinion".

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results