David Copperfield on America's Got Talent

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Tonight at 8:00pm EST on NBC, David Copperfield will be making a special appearance on America's Got Talent. Be sure to tune in and watch - check your local listings for details so you don't miss it. Set your TiVo's, synchronize your watches, and don't forget to tune in.

This season has been full of magic by Michael Grasso, Murray Sawchuck, and the incomparable Dan Sperry - who brought one of the most memorable performances in recent memory involving dental floss, Howie Mandel, and close to a million views on YouTube.

Earlier this week Copperfield traveled to LA with Chris Kenner, Homer Liwag, and theory11 princess of magic Katie Kenner to prepare for the performance, and we're excited to see it broadcast tonight. See attached behind the scenes photo of Zoe Kenner filling in for Sharon Osbourne...

Attachments

• 58513_426988982422_720897422_5654037_5671397_n.jpg
    58513_426988982422_720897422_5654037_5671397_n.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 283

Vorezo

Elite Member
Mar 21, 2009
Nice photo!

Does that mean Copperfield already recorded his bit or is he doing it live tonight?

=================================================

DO NOT READ FURTHER UNLESS THE SHOW HAS AIRED IN YOUR TIME ZONE!

Video to follow! Nice job by DC, but if you are a magic nut, like me, nothing that you haven't seen before., But it was great to see DC on TV and looking so great!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

DO NOT READ FURTHER UNLESS THE SHOW HAS AIRED IN YOUR TIME ZONE!

Prince Poppycock wins!!!

Just Kidding!

That was punishment for anyone that read ahead and couldn't wait for it to air in your area.

Sorry.. Just couldn't resist.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Copperfield's performance was flawless. Smooth, polished, and very impressive. I loved the sequence and thought it was very well presented.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Stage magic always leaves me thinking the same thing. "Why? What's the point? Where's the message?"

It seems to me like grand illusions are the wedding cakes of the magic world. Huge, beautiful, expensive things that have no nutritional content. It's pure entertainment, no message, no meaning.

Nov 8, 2007
Copperfield was great. He did a lot with his time without rushing anything. Wish he would come back for another special.

Nov 8, 2007
Stage magic always leaves me thinking the same thing. "Why? What's the point? Where's the message?"

It seems to me like grand illusions are the wedding cakes of the magic world. Huge, beautiful, expensive things that have no nutritional content. It's pure entertainment, no message, no meaning.
Not to be rude, but I don't think you have seen much of Copperfield. Copperfield is the man at providing context and meaning with his magic.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City

In many cases, you are absolutely correct. It's very easy for stage performers to hide behind their props. When I started out in stage magic, I did the same. The props are pretty, they're expensive, and they're large. This means it's very easy to get lost in their allure as a magician. As a spectator, props are just that - props. Sometimes the spectators may say "hey that prop looks cool" - but for the most part, they could not and should not care. It's a prop - YOU are the performer. They didn't pay to see the box.

Copperfield is the giant exception to this rule. Notice in this performance his shadow box (for the motorcycle) is minimal - large white panels, simple metal construction - nothing distracting, nothing that draws attention away from the performer. His Squeeze Box is much the same - simple, deceptive, industrial-looking, but not distracting and never hidden behind. Copperfield has the best illusion designers and builders in the world behind him - David Mendoza, Bob North - but his props are intentionally made to look minimal, sleek, and ordinary.

However, if you're not hiding behind a prop, you have to entertain. Luckily, he does that - combining drama, music, storylines, and theatrical production to create moments like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJVWXb92gA

Sep 20, 2009
So am i the only one that wasn't impressed and thought that was borderline horrid and boring?

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com

You must not have been to a David Copperfield show in his prime. He was and still is the master of creating emotional meaning in his magic whether it be romance, heartbreak, laughter, or just plain fun. When it comes to combining pure entertainment with a message or meaning he has set the bar that every magician - stage or otherwise - has to live up to. In my opinion so far today no one has come close.

This performance on AGT didn't showcase why he's a legend, which is too bad because a lot of people who are younger don't realize why he's a legend. Still great to see him on a television again on a national stage though.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results