Death To The Double Undercut - Review

Discussion in 'Product Questions and Reviews' started by Sinful, Aug 9, 2008.

1. This is a 1 on 1 video with Joel Paschall. You learn 3 things in this 1 on 1 video:

1. Blind Swivel Cut
    2. How to control a card from the top to the bottom using this cut.
    3. How to control a card from the bottom to the top using this cut.

There has been a lot of controversy over Theory 11's 1 on 1 videos. This one is no exception to that controversy. What do I think of this video? I love it. I will absolutely use it.

First of all... the Blind Swivel Cut is a completely false cut. Nothing is altered in this cut. Now... let's say you have a card on the bottom of the deck and you need to bring it to the top using your own method. Well, here is your own method.

This cut will enable you to do a nice flourishy cut and get the bottom card to the top. (Vice Versa) Obviously, this 1 on 1 is geared towards beginners. I had absolutely no problem learning this. It's incredibly easy. The only part that I am having trouble getting smooth is the slight alteration you need to make to the cut to control a card to the top or bottom. However, that will come naturally with a bit of practice. As for the basic cut... I already have it down smooth.

Overall:
    This is a nice flourishy cut that is a great card control. Maybe someone who is more advanced in magic will want to add a bit more variety. This is a good 1 on 1 then. Maybe there is a beginner who needs a method for controlling a card because they don't have one yet. This is a good 1 on 1. Of course... there are many whom just don't need this 1 on 1 at all. If that's the case... just don't buy it. There is no need for all this controversy. I give this a thumbs up and I do recommend it.

-Doug

2. errm... is there something wrong with the post above me, or is it just my computer messing? All i can see is a huuuuuge picture ;s

Anyways, i like the review and its a nice looking cut.

3. All i can see is a huuuuuge picture

4. #4 copperfield 14, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
    [Link removed for exposure concerns.]

Typical mod review.

5. I hate to sound like a jerk, but I don't care what anyone says. My opinion of this 1on1 will never change. If you know how to ... and do a pivot cut, you know this 1on1.

Theory11, you can do better.

[Posted edited to remove exposure.]

6. #6 Steerpike, Aug 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
    And people call me an *******.

7. The truth is that this cut is like years old ... i give this 1 on 1 0/100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

BTW SINFUL.. now you know why you got payed out at Decknique. You are such a fanboy... no offence

8. No offence, but tagging "no offence" onto a derogatory statement is a move used by wankers who are trying desperately to give themselves an out in the conversation so they don't look like the bad guys.

Honestly, the lot of you pretending to be anti-establishment rebels would be adorable if it wasn't so cliche. Then again, it is pretty entertaining how you walk directly into verbal bear traps every time you open your mouths.

Joking aside, I don't even like the cut, which is why I didn't buy it. But I'm not emotionally invested in a hype-based wet dream for this site, which is why I'm not getting bent out of shape over it. And Doug is my friend. If you rabble want to attack him and call his character into question just because he disagrees with you, then you're messing with me too. I tolerate disrespect to my friends even less than I tolerate disrespect to me.

9. no offense but that was funny stuff

10. Please don't post something like that unless you are sure. It only shows your ignorance. Don't judge others unless you've been in their shoes or know them very well. You should read "To Kill a Mockingbird". Great book. If you were one of my friends either in person, AIM, or just PM me a lot and have conversations that way, you would know that I am not a fanboy. I've even come very close to leaving Theory 11 several times. Of course you wouldn't know that though.

This thread has gotten out of hand only on the first page... Despite the fact this was only meant to help those wanting to learn the cut, I have no problem just locking my review as it clearly is not serving the purpose intended.

-Doug

11. I say leave it open. What's the point in allowing multiple points of view when a handful of infants get to monopolize the conversation?

12. I love how Steerpike picks up on the things that are so obvious to most people but nobody else mentions them.

Nice review, I've voiced my opinion on this cut elsewhere, but the review was cool.

13. steerpike do u work at the cuckoos nest?

14. #14 praetoritevong, Aug 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
    EDIT: My bad. My apologies JRA.

15. Actually... The Cuckoo's Nest is a magic shop in my hometown. And no, I don't work there, though I am on a list of people to give demonstrations should they need someone else around the store.

16. Hey all,

I'm new to this forum and recently returned after over a decade away from card magic, and I'm not sure if this conversation is still open considering how long ago the thread was updated, but I just saw the video, and I happen to really like this cut. Admittedly, there are plenty of other ways to accomplish the same thing, but I found an additional use for it that I think makes it pretty versatile (even though it's already pretty versatile as it is).

Has anyone already thought of slip-cutting the bottom card of the top packet after a break above a selected card, transferring it to the bottom? Seems to me if I can control a card from the middle, bottom, and top all with one move, it's pretty good, especially since it's pretty much invisible.

Like I said, I don't know if anyone is even checking this thread anymore, but if I can give props to Joel, it's worth a post.

Thanks.

Mnemonimage

17. This 1-on-1 is obviously meant for very extreme beginners. I was expecting a bit more, but this was a let-down. All they teach you is a super easy swivel cut, and an additional move to take the card from the top to bottom or vice versa. I think the original double-undercut is better to perform fo laypeople because it is less flourishy and looks like a completely genuine shuffle/mix. 1/5 for this 1-on-1.

18. Dude, please don't revive old threads. This thread was created august 2008, the last post was october 2009. Especially if you're going to rip on the video. There's a reason it was rated beginner.

Not a great start, 1st post and you're already bashing it, calling it a "let-down". If you watched the video you'd know it's a "sper easy swivel cut."

Let's just let this thread get buried again.

19. Whats wrong with reviving old threads? Obviously he used the search feature everyone is harping on. That and its the only review for this 1-on-1 i know of. He was respectful, enough.

20. the false cut is cool and easy, but as a double undercut it's not good to me
    when he takes the break in the beginning and does the move , he lost it just after , because it's not possible to keep it with the false cut