Deck Switches

Jan 31, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Today I found myself searching for info on deck switches on the forums and I found many threads with a common answer...

On the off beat do a pocket switch...

I feel that this is too traceable, certain things can be done on an off beat but this could be reworked. Getting a break can fly flipping a card over, culling a force card in position but not doing a trick that appears it must've been done with a prearranged deck.

For example the off beat switch is used in an effect on the ellusionist stained skin DVD (If you own this you'll know which effect uses the switch). The spectator ran back what happened out loud and practically retraced it, you could tell by what she was saying that is she was just a little calmer that she could have figured it out, maybe she did later that day, maybe the magic was ruined for her at the end of the day, whats the point of a killer reaction that can be killed.

I feel that if you need a deck switch in the middle of a trick you need to devise presentational direction for a switch, like grabbing a sharpie or the one used in blizzard, or something... point at someone, get a phone call, or check the time and look in both pockets, You don't even need to use the switched in deck during the effect, it could just be set up for future miracles which would be even better.

Another idea was to do something else in between like a coin trick then come back to the cards later, at least its some form of motivation for putting the cards away but still the switch can still be traced

The best way to pull off a deck switch would be in the context of a trick, 3 are taught on the Simon Aronson dvd set 1 on volume one called "side swiped" and two on volume three on the memorized deck, "shuffle tracking" and "bait and switch."

There is also a great effect found in card college volume 4 called "Trojan deck" which is a commercial and usable effect for anyone, the switch is very bold method for a switch with out pockets completely invisibly right in front of a spectator(personal favorite).

Daniel Madison includes a partial Deck switch in identity which can be done openly in front of a spectator in his identity ebook. Guy Hollingworth also has a partial deck switch in his book drawing room deceptions.

Card College four also contains a motivated switch for openly switching a deck better than an off beat switch or at least an improvement to an off beat switch.

I feel "method" is important, your effects should be able to set you up for another effect, you should have outs if your spectator wants to shuffle such a deck switch, crimping a selection, or glimpsing the card, which will put you back in a set order or at least allow you to find or reveal the card, you should have methods for ringing in and disposing of gimmicks and gaffs not just hoping they wont notice or remember that you blatenyly put it away to show them a coin trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results