Deck Test Update

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
I've been going through all my decks of cards and using one a day since I got them.

Thus far, both decks of Bicycle Masters (regular and shadow), the Ghosts, and the 1800s are trashed. One day of use, and trashed. They're warped and clumpy and just generally look pretty sad.

Which is sort of a "don't waste your money" result, since I have a deck of plain old vanilla 808s that isn't trashed after one day. In short: four of the eight decks I got from Ellusionist aren't even as good as regular Bicycles.

My Aviators never arrived, but I don't really care. Some internet jerk ripped me off for $2.50 and never sent me the cards, but come on, it's $2.50 and he didn't even charge shipping. I'm just tired of trying. Screw Aviators, they probably suck anyway.

A moment to discuss Bees... I hate them. Hate, hate, hate. I used them for twenty minutes, detesting it the whole time, and then said "oh, screw it" and switched to my Black Tigers. I don't know or care how long they last, as far as I'm concerned they're garbage. They're just too soft; it's like I was holding nothing! I'd pick up a card and not feel it, then look down and I've got it bent almost double between my thumb and ring finger. Or I'd pick up a card, and start a maneuver, and look down to see that I've dropped it and never noticed. Granted, as a guitarist, I have calloused fingers. That may have a great deal to do with this. But for me, personally, Bees are just plain terrible. I won't buy them again.

The standard 808s tend to last me two days, so I expect them to give out the next day I use them. The Black Tigers are showing wear, but not badly. I think they may last two more days of use.

My Guardians, Vipers, and a deck of clear plastic Bicycles - after a full day of use each - are effectively unchanged from the moment I opened them. They do not seem to be warped or worn or indeed any different at all.

The clear plastic Bicycles might actually last... forever. They're amazing. Somehow they manage to be stiffer than Vipers when you handle them, and melt into each other like butter (even more than the Bees) when you shuffle. They're just phenomenal. One way back, though, and you can just forget about fanning them. Standard thumb fan process produces three or four randomly tilted packs of cards. Pressure fan does a little better, but still looks like crap.

Bottom line, I'm predicting the Vipers win out on the best-of-breed competition, with the Guardians coming in second and the Tigers a distant third... but the Guardians are definitely a dark horse with a solid shot at outperforming the Viper. I expect the Tigers to either outlast my 808s by one day, or match them at two days for longevity.

I suspect the Tigers will partially match the 1800s, which deteriorated rapidly. They were fine one minute, and then I could literally feel them break down and go all to hell over the course of about two hours. As I was going through the deck card by card doing a basic single-card spin flourish, I literally felt the difference every time I got to the end of the deck.

Rooting for the Guardians, because T11 rocks and I'd really like to find that Guardians honestly and truly slaughter every deck Ellusionist sells... but I suspect I'll end up awarding top honors to the Viper. And I do like the Viper.

Standard disclaimer - this is based on my personal opinions of the condition of these decks after I use them. If you use them differently, you will probably achieve different results, and even if you get the same results you may have a different personal opinion.

Good work mate.

My local magic shop owner (taylorsmagicshop.com) told me to never buy any E, PENGUIN MAGIC, T11, and other magic company's custom cards because they can be unpredictable and die quick.

Buy 808 and buy it cheap - www.808cards.com

ps. I mean no offence to any of the magic industries which i named.
pps. I do not work for 808cards
ppps. I buy one of each custom deck Bicycle for a collection.

Dec 27, 2007
Sean told me the same thing man.

I recently ordered some bikes from 808cards but its annoying because you get 50/50 of blue and red.

You can't choose what colour you want, but who cares when their so cheap.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Nice review. A question on the Bicycle Plastic Cards: Are you using the red and blue deck with the Spade on the back, or are you using the pink or turquoise decks?

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
Are you using the red and blue deck with the Spade on the back

Yes. I love them; they're fantastic. I keep thinking maybe this is the best choice for a practice deck, since it does get a little cluttery using normal cards to practice... you end up with stacks and stacks of cards everywhere that are perfectly good for playing games, but not really usable for anything else. Since the clear plastic cards are so durable, maybe one deck could last weeks or months for practicing the basic sleights, and that would translate naturally and easily to a different deck for performing.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
My local magic shop owner (taylorsmagicshop.com) told me to never buy any E, PENGUIN MAGIC, T11, and other magic company's custom cards because they can be unpredictable and die quick.

It's simply not worth it if they're not going to last as long as regular Bicycles. Why would I pay $7 a deck for cards that aren't as good as these $2 a deck cards? Because they're pretty? I'll pay for pretty when I get paid for pretty.

From a pure money standpoint, a deck of Vipers has to last me eight days to be worth it, Tigers need to last seven, and Guardians have to last five. I'm betting none of them make it. The Tigers sure as hell won't.

But there's the added question behind the money, what's it worth to have cards that look like this? Because if the decks last (say) three days each, you end up having to ask whether the Tigers are worth just over twice the cost for the black background; whether the matte silver and back design on the Vipers is worth even more than the Tigers; and whether the back, ace, and joker designs on the Guardians merit a 67% price increase.

Guardians get the added bonus that I really like the sole source for them. That's not generally supposed to drive a buying decision, but it does.

EDIT: Tigers went to hell after the second day. It happened around the 1:48 mark of the latest Harry Potter film, and they were noticeably degrading all the way through the film. Even my wife said she could tell the difference; I handed her the cards about four times during the film, because I was just shocked at how differently they handled as the movie progressed. That means these $7 a deck cards last about as long as a $2 deck of Bicycles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
Tally-Hos are down after two days. I'm pretty surprised; they seemed like they'd last at least three. And they went faster than I could notice; I fanned them, everything was fine. I went through the deck twice doing a little card-spin thing I've invented, which takes about four minutes, and then fanned them again - sort of. What the...? Great condition, then four minutes later, crap. I don't get it. It's nothing on my hands; I'm pretty anal about dosing them with Purell before I pick up my cards.

So far, we do not have a single deck of cards that outlasts a standard $2 deck of Bicycles, and we've been through all six of the Ellusionist offerings. That puts every deck solidly in the category of "paying for appearance".

I've also noticed something on my Tigers, and I went through the other Ellusionist decks to see if it was on any of them... which it is. Six of the eight decks I bought from Ellusionist have the backs printed just slightly off center, with one side's white border about 1/16 of an inch narrower than the other; only the two decks of Tally-Hos aren't. I don't know whether that matters to you, but I find it a little annoying.

Starting tomorrow, the Guardians. If they last into the next day, we have a winner... and at the lowest price. Not to mention conclusive evidence that Theory11 kicks Ellusionist right in the crotch and runs away laughing; after all, why sell eight kinds of cards when you already sell the best one out there? At the very least, they're every bit as good as standard Bicycles, which is more than I can say for half the Ellusionist decks.

I also ordered a deck of Wynns during the release window last night, so we'll get those into the mix, too.

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
Yes. I love them; they're fantastic. I keep thinking maybe this is the best choice for a practice deck, since it does get a little cluttery using normal cards to practice... you end up with stacks and stacks of cards everywhere that are perfectly good for playing games, but not really usable for anything else. Since the clear plastic cards are so durable, maybe one deck could last weeks or months for practicing the basic sleights, and that would translate naturally and easily to a different deck for performing.

If you like the Bicycle Clear Plastic Playing Cards then you should try out the KEM cards made by the USPCC available HERE!

Enjoy!
-Brad

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
It's official: Guardians, at the end of day two - and a day spent at a magic club meeting, so they got a real workout and passed through a lot of hands - are still live.

That makes Guardians the only deck of cards in the whole bunch that outlast a regular deck of 808s. Except the clear plastic Bicycles, which don't fan well enough for me and thus aren't suitable for general use.

The question now becomes, are Wynns better than Guardians? I'll get to test that sometime in the next week - and either way, I'm both proud and happy to say that Theory11 gets the lion's share of my card business from now on.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I agree, and I've been saying it ever since I got my Guardians. They last longer, feel better, and look better than any other deck I have... and I have quite a few. End of story.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
They last longer, feel better, and look better than any other deck I have... and I have quite a few.

I have fourteen different decks over here I've been going through one by one to test, and #15 - a deck of Wynns - is on the way after the release this Friday. Even if it's actually a better deck (which I doubt), the limited supply means I'll still probably be using Guardians day-to-day.

I had my Guardians at my local magic club all afternoon, and it saw a lot of action from a lot of hands. We'd been shuffling and fanning and manhandling the deck for over an hour, when one of the older gentlemen came over and offered to show us some kind of card trick... and as I handed him my Guardians, he riffled quickly through them and commented in amazement, "these feel brand new". When I told him I'd been using them for two solid days, he couldn't believe it. One of the other attendees had cracked the seal on a brand new pack of Bicycles when he got there, and they were pretty roughed up from all the action.

I'm still on that same deck of Guardians, and no sign of breaking down. They still fan beautifully. They still shuffle fantastically. These. Cards. Are. Awesome. If you haven't tried them, you simply can't understand. Get a deck. Get it now.

Considering I live in Australia and all ... Normal 808 cards are 10 $ Guardians are 12$, but now that I buy 12 Bikes for 30$, the equation is...

Bikes = 1 day
Guardian = 2-3 days

(both values are set on intense use)

12x 1 = 12 days - 808s
4-6 x 2-3 = 12 days - Guardians

12 decks of 808s = 30$
4-6 decks of Guardians = 48-72$ or if i buy from T11 (6 decks)it is 36 $ + POSTAGE of 10 $ = 46$

SO THE FINAL ANALYSIS IS.....

12 Days worth of intense playing card use:

Bicycle 808 - 12 decks for 30 Dollars

Bicycle Guardians - 6 decks for 46 Dollars

The winner is 808 by 16 dollars...

ps. all prices are in AUD

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
I can get Bicycles in my local drugstore cheaper than anywhere online can ship them.

Brick of Bicycles: $26.11 - 24 days - $1.09 per day

I'm now entering day 4 with my Guardians. Here's my cost breakdown if my Guardians were trashed right this second (which they really, really aren't):

Brick of Guardians: $55.44 - 36 days - $1.54 per day

Here's my cost breakdown if they last the rest of the day:

Brick of Guardians: $55.44 - 48 days - $1.15 per day

Six cents a day to use Guardians instead of regular Bicycles? A quarter a deck? Oh, that's so worth it.

Just for fun, if they last today and tomorrow:

$55.44 - 60 days - $0.92 per day

Hey, maybe I'm just a dreamer, but it's within the realm of possibility. After all, you've gotten Guardians to last 3 days, and my cards appear to last twice as long as yours... so I could conceivably get six days use from a deck of Guardians:

$55.44 - 72 days - $0.77 per day

Of course, I'll believe that when I see it with my own eyes - but hell, it's day four, and they fan better than any other deck I own does on day two.

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
Unfortunately, my Guardians will not be seeing another day. Four days was their limit.

Which is still twice as long as half the decks I've tested, and four times as long as the other half.

And since that stacks up - per the previously listed math - to each deck costing 25 cents more than plain vanilla Bicycles, I have a new standard playing card.

I've still got two more decks of unused cards, a deck of Tally-Ho fan backs and a deck of white-pip Tigers, so I can get through another four days while I wait for my Wynns to show up. I'm expecting them to last longer than the Guardians, since I don't see why Theory11 would carry them if they didn't... but even if they don't, I'll give them a solid workout and see what I think of them.

Either way, Theory11 can expect me to order a brick of Guardians next week, but whether I pay any attention to the next Wynn-dow (heh heh heh) depends on how I like the Wynns.

Sep 2, 2007
La Crescenta, CA
I think this is an great thread - even though, I admit, I am an Ellusionist fanboy, this has a lot of valid points. Decks wear out quickly, and sometimes it's not worth buying cards over 5 dollars, if that.

One question, though - what the HECK did you do to decks of Ghosts, Tallys, and Guardians to make them wear out within a WEEK!?!? All three of them have lasted me for at least two weeks and are still fanning & cutting well... although I doubt I'm putting them through as rigorous a "training" (for lack of a better word) as you are. :p

Jan 6, 2008
Seattle
www.darklock.com
One question, though - what the HECK did you do to decks of Ghosts, Tallys, and Guardians to make them wear out within a WEEK!?!?

My usual practice regimen involves going through the deck six to eight times daily giving each card a specific flourish. I don't know the name of it; it's the one where normally, you hold it in the right hand with the thumb and middle finger on the indexed corners, and use the index finger to rotate it 180 degrees. I modified this flourish to hold the card between the thumb and ring fingers, then use the middle finger to rotate it 180 degrees, and the index finger then rotates it another 180 degrees before clicking it into face-up display. If you rotate the wrist and circle the arm properly, the face of the card remains concealed throughout the 360 degree rotation and then "magically" pops into view at the end.

This is hard to explain. You almost have to see it on camera to understand. I "invented" it (I refuse to believe nobody else has thought of this) last week, and I'm trying to force it into muscle memory (2000 to 4000 repetitions) so I never have to think about it again.

I also do a lot of Charlier cuts and packet flipping. I'm very bad at this, it looks like crap, and I drop the deck a lot. When I feel confident that people won't make fun of me, I'll submit a video.

Jan 7, 2008
I've found the Orange County Choppers cards just as durable a a Ghost or Tiger Deck, and less expensive! Plus they're cool loking!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results