Defect Guarantee (An effect by Keenan Gibson)

Aug 31, 2007
California
Hey guys,

This is my baby an effect that has been in the works for quite some time(Idea came up about a year and a half ago). Been Audience testing it for about a year now and is finally ready to be shown to you guys...

Hope you enjoy,

Keenan

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
If you want to present your own trick, TALK!
Don't just put some music in it...

I don't understand why you counted 10 cards each time and put them down... couldn't you just spread them and find the AoS Back card? Also The AoS symbol on the back needs work... it looks really weird. The overall trick is good, but it's too boring. Make it more exciting... all you did was put the deck on top of the card box and then AoS sybmbol dissapears, it should be more powerful with some good patter with it. I would like to see the end result of this effect.

Nov 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I really liked the concept only i would make the ace on the back of the card look better and maybe you could add putting the ace back onto the box and haveing it dissappear from the back of the card. Also some good patter would really help it. Just my 2 cents, overall very good idea and i really enjoyed it :D

Aug 31, 2007
California
Haha,

In real life, the spade looks exactly as it does as on the box. It looks like a black blob on the cam, I apologize.

I didn't include patter because my cam (used a cheap old webcam) doesn't pick up sound.

In the original effect, I do the above, that pop the ace off of the back of the card, and it falls into the spectators hands. I than rub the spade back onto the box, allowing everything to be immediatly handed out.

That is one version of the effect.

Tell me, Eddie, how could this effect be more powerful? You stated that is was boring and not powerful.

What do you consider powerful?

Thanks.

Keenan

Sep 1, 2007
Very nice. Simple, magical and uncluttered.

Don't listen to the naysayers mate; it's an ego thing more than a trying to be helpful thing. One would hope of course that you present it with patter for real life :)

I would (being a bit of a traditionalist - for those that haven't picked up on it yet) want to know WHY the spade symbol is finding the selection. This could lead to all sorts of fun in terms of presentation and routining. Perhaps you use the ace of spades to find a selected card, then get rid of it somehow. Say you'd like to do it one more time, but you have no spade. Ahhh...here's an idea! Then into your effect. Lends motivation and logic to the whole thing.

Or just do it as is if that's more your style. Either way, well done on the trick.

Aug 31, 2007
California

Don't listen to the naysayers mate; it's an ego thing more than a trying to be helpful thing. One would hope of course that you present it with patter for real life :)

I would (being a bit of a traditionalist - for those that haven't picked up on it yet) want to know WHY the spade symbol is finding the selection. This could lead to all sorts of fun in terms of presentation and routining. Perhaps you use the ace of spades to find a selected card, then get rid of it somehow. Say you'd like to do it one more time, but you have no spade. Ahhh...here's an idea! Then into your effect. Lends motivation and logic to the whole thing.

Or just do it as is if that's more your style. Either way, well done on the trick.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean.

Of course I use patter in real life. ;)

The problem I see with what you said above, is that I don't use the "Sometimes the ink on the box is lighter than the ink on the cards, allowing the ink to move into the cards..." blah blah patter. It takes away from the magic. It gives the spectators a reason to say that there is a way to the magic. It basically gives them a way out.

Keenan

Sep 1, 2007
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one I think. There are some effects where the magic speaks for itself - say a colour changing backs routine - but I think careful attention to the premise and presention of your effect would enhance, rather than take away from it.

We can't do "wizard magic" - not really. All magic in the fantasy world has an underlying purpose - a goal, a logic to it. As magicians in the REAL world, we should strive for the same consistency - "random acts of magic" come off as stunts more than anything else.

With just a little twist, your "blah blah" presentation could be turned into something very interesting I think. The difference is that the words you have chosen imbue the "ink" with the power, rather than yourself. If you use "magic" to cause the ink to teleport, then we're still talking magic, not science.

You'll note as well that this is not what I proposed either; I'm not a fan of convulted patter lines. The card is selected and lost in the deck. You cut the deck, finding a card - the ace of spades; not the selection. "I will use the spade to find your card" - and do any kind of location you like (a pass comes to mind to centralise the ace with the selection). Remove the ace and show the selection. Placing the spade to one side - or a pocket - you then proceed into your trick, using the spade on the card case instead. No weird and wonderful patter lines in there I think.

Taking this further, you could use a simple switch of the ace and the selection once the first phase is over, placing the selection to the side instead of the ace. Then do your trick, showing that the spade from the case has found one card...the ace of spades - which the audience thinks is in your pocket/on the table/between their hands/whatever. Reveal the selection and you've added a transposition, perfectly motivated by the initial trick of using the ace to find the card.

There's nothing necessarily wrong with "just doing it" either of course; just be careful not to dismiss anything too soon. If there's one thing I've picked up from my own experience and the work of others, it's "never stop thinking"; just today I picked up a wonderful little sandwich switch from "Power Plays" which tidies up the handling one of my strongest tricks that I use all the time - and now it'll be that little bit better because I'm still open to ideas on it, a good couple of years on from when I first put it together.

It's been my experience that the most important part of the creative process is the presentation, patter and premise of your tricks, followed by the most elegant handling solution you can come up with meeting your requirements regarding setup, practicality and context. You've got a good method on the go there, clearly, because you've got me fooled and that isn't too easy! Unable to judge you on the rest obviously from that video, but maybe our little exchange provided you with food for thought.

Nov 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Haha,

In real life, the spade looks exactly as it does as on the box. It looks like a black blob on the cam, I apologize.

I didn't include patter because my cam (used a cheap old webcam) doesn't pick up sound.

In the original effect, I do the above, that pop the ace off of the back of the card, and it falls into the spectators hands. I than rub the spade back onto the box, allowing everything to be immediatly handed out.

That is one version of the effect.

Tell me, Eddie, how could this effect be more powerful? You stated that is was boring and not powerful.

What do you consider powerful?

Thanks.

Keenan

Well in this case i would say its an absolutly wonderful effect and i really love it hehe, ill just take your word on the ace being better in real life :D and it being able to be rubbed back onto the box and such, i love it!

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California

Wow what the hell?
I was trying to be helpful... I don't understand how that makes me cocky.

Well like I said, patter will make it more powerful... but I understand if it's not your fault. A $30 logitech webcam should help you.
But I can't say how you can make it more powerful with other sleights... my style may not follow your style. I just found it plain in my opinion. But the overall presentation is the main factor. Since we didn't really see that, I guess that brought it down.

Sep 1, 2007
I like the concept, but the actual performace could still use some brushing up. Nice job though, very creative, keep it up!

Sep 2, 2007
Very nice 3/5

my pet peeve is lighting though so I give this video anot so great rating.

But the trick is defiently 5/5

Just you should've kept spreadin to the 8, instead on dropping packets.

Sep 1, 2007
Looks like a different concept with the same handling as Red Hot Mama...which would mean that the 8 can't be handed out or inspected by the audience...unless you have a dupe of course.

Overall a good trick...cool idea. If you can't hand out that 8 though its nothing but a web cam trick.

Aug 31, 2007
California
Looks like a different concept with the same handling as Red Hot Mama...which would mean that the 8 can't be handed out or inspected by the audience...unless you have a dupe of course.

Overall a good trick...cool idea. If you can't hand out that 8 though its nothing but a web cam trick.

You can hand out the Eight.

Eddie,

With my magic, presentation is very big. It is not something I ignore. The video was just a quick video showing a quick version of the effect. JUST the effect. I do agree that the performance you have seen is plain. It is. There is no denying that. But it is a video, just showing the effect.

Keenan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results