Diagonal Palm Shift

Dec 18, 2009
So first off what is the point of this move gambling/cheating wise? I mean I know its a very deceptive control and great palm for magic but how would you use it in a gambling game scenario. You cant just randomly stick cards in the deck. Does it have any cheating purposes at all? I thought it would since England teaches it and it's taught in Expert at The Card Table. And lastly which is better. John carneys download for it on D&D ondemand? or Jason Englands download off of T11. I'm only 4-5 months into cards so if these questions have obvious answers keep in mind that I'm kind of newbie.

Jul 14, 2008
I am still working on the Diagonal Palm Shift, but you are right. This move has no cheating purpose at all, but you can use it as a control for your card magic. If Erdnase didn't write about the Diagonal Palm Shift description in Expert at The Card Table, we wouldn't even know today.

Oct 11, 2007
Put other people's hands back in the deck and strip them out if there are cards in them that you want. Lap these and load that cards that you don't want back into the deck at the next opportunity!

Hope this helps,
emagician

Dec 18, 2009
Put other people's hands back in the deck and strip them out if there are cards in them that you want. Lap these and load that cards that you don't want back into the deck at the next opportunity!

Hope this helps,
emagician

Thanks man. Can you dps multiple cards?

Sep 2, 2007
London
You can DPS multiple cards, from a single location, or from multiple locations. The move is taught in the "Legerdemain" section of Expert at the Card Table, so it was not taught as a gambling move, and it's hard to think of an application that would be consistent with normal gaming procedure. Emagician's idea could work in a soft game though with some sort of other justification, maybe if the cards had been shuffled but one hand had been "accidentally" left on the table.

Sep 13, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
To answer your question, it can be applied to card cheating: If you deal a hand, and lets assume one of the players was dealt a blackjack. When the cards are returned to you, (the dealer), you perform the diagonal palm shift on that stack of cards, making sure the blackjack is on bottom. Then, you can either palm it out of the deck, or keep it controlled on bottom for a couple of turns. Then, you bring the black jack back into play, and either palm-deal the blackjack, or bottom deal it. So yes, the Diagonal Palm Shift can be used in card cheating.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I love the DPS!!

It's one of my favorite sleights. An easy way to get into a palm while the spectator sees the card go into the middle of the deck. Practical for stealing their card away. It has so many uses. I made up a fluid way of using the DPS to control the card to the top invisibly. It is a practical way to do card under cup, card to pocket, all that jaz :D I use it for a prediction sandwiched effect.

Dec 18, 2009
Thanks guys. I'll have to pick this one up. I think I'll get Jason's even though it costs more.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
So first off what is the point of this move gambling/cheating wise? I mean I know its a very deceptive control and great palm for magic but how would you use it in a gambling game scenario. You cant just randomly stick cards in the deck.

Does it have any cheating purposes at all? I thought it would since England teaches it and it's taught in Expert at The Card Table.

Firstly, nobody has mentioned that even in Erdnase, the DPS is taught in the legerdermain section. Which means that Erdnase considers this to be a move for magic and not for actual cheating.

However, you could use it within a gambling demo. Consider this example of a pseudo riffle cull. You insert the 4 aces in different parts of the deck, ask someone to shuffle thoroughly, you take the deck back, riffle it a few times, saying that you are culling cards as you riffle, and proceed to deal out as many hands as you want, giving yourself the winning hand of four aces. Can you see how you could do this using the DPS and a few other moves?

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
The DPS is a pretty easy sleight, I really recommend it to everyone into card magic. It is the cleanest no fumbling looking card steal I've ever seen.

The best way I learned it was from VISUAL AID. Reading it from erdnase was nice but visual aid helps so much...just like learning the pass.

John Carney on Dan and Dave

or

Jason England here on theory11, shows the original then Jason's little modifications

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results