Distortion - My 1st ever review

Sep 1, 2007
I know you're probably going "and yet another distortion review.." but i feel that this product is that worthy for me to post my 1st ever review.

The Effect:
quoted directly from the Tricks section:
"A card is chosen. In this case, it's the Six of Diamonds. The Four of Diamonds is also used. You clearly place the Six of Diamonds in the spectator's closed hands (in a sandwich manner), holding on to the Four of Diamonds.
As you slowly shake the Four, the pips -- that is, the diamonds -- are seen to visually multiply and move across the card to form the Six of Diamonds. The spectator opens their hands to find the Four oof Diamonds, and all is handed out for complete examination."

The Gimmick:

First lets talk about the gimmick. Now i already own the gimmick even before theory11 release Distortion, but mine was without the "double printing". I'm sure those who own Distortion will know what i mean. Because of that issue its harder for me to do the clean up. The gimmick that is included in Distortion is so much more versatile than the 1 that i initially had.

I'm sure the 1st thing you'll do when you get your Distortion is to checkout the gimmick, but i really suggest that you watch the dvd first before handling. Why you ask? 1 of the most important thing featured in the dvd is wayne explaining how to prolong the lifespan of the gimmick. So before you accidentally break the gimmick, do watch the entire dvd first.

The DVD (Quality, Peformance, Instructions)

On to the dvd itself. As usual, crystal clear quality with the WayneHouchin mtv style editing. So lets move on to the performance. We can see that wayne is really having lots of fun and enjoying himself in the process of filming Distortion. Heck he even got tips from a group of girls! And the dude who had 7 bottles of beer, he was totally blown away.

As for the teaching, well its WayneHouchin you cannot go wrong with this guy teaching you how to do the trick. Every detail that you need to know is covered including precautions on the gimmick.

Another great thing about the dvd is that it actually teaches you 2 methods of presenting this effect. One is "Visually Yours" by Michael Ammar and the other is off course "Distortion" by Wayne. Basically the way of using the gimmick is the same, however the routine is different. Personally i prefer "Visually Yours" as it is convincing to the spectator that its their free choice of card. Wayne actually performed both methods to the same group of girls and they were still blown away after the 2nd performance.

Difficulty:
On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 - Easy // 10 - Hard)
I'd give it a 2.5/10. Pulling off the effect is simple. Everything is already there for you and its just a matter of presentation and confidence. There is a little sleight of hand involved but its so easy that i would not consider this a sleight at all.

Value for money:
Definitely a yes! This effect is hard hitting as hell. I'm sure we all have seen Cyril performing this effect and the kind of insane reactions he got. Its a visual, in your face kind of trick.

Personal Experience:
Now i mention how the original gimmick that i own wasnt as versatile as the 1 included in distortion. As a result i did not perform this effect to my friends. However after i got Distortion, i knew i was ready to do this trick.

It all happened 2 nights after i receive my package. We were chilling and playing Texas poker at my friend's house. Now I've performed a couple of ACRs for them and more or less they already knew that its all a matter of handling the cards. So this time round i told them I'd make an exception. I'll let them see upclose how i actually get the card to switch and change.

So i did the effect and you cannot imagine just how much swearing came out. Some of them now actually believes i possess supernatural power :p

Like i said, it hits that hard.

Cons & Pros:

Cons:
- Gimmick is fragile. Break it and you'll have to either buy another 1 or make 1 yourself. So handle it with care.
- Restricted on selecting choices of cards
- You might have to buy a new deck which matches the colour of the gimmick (for the advance 300 copies only) But then again shouldnt be a problem as blue/red bikes are cheap and common

Pros
- Bond to get insane reactions
- Easy to pull off
- 2 methods/ways of performing the effect

Q&A:

Q: Is there a gimmick involve?
A: Obviously, yes.

Q: Does it requires any setup?
A: Yes, it only takes less than 5 seconds though.

Q: Can the selected card be fully examined before and after the trick?
A: Yes, wayne teaches you how to cleanup and its not diffcult at all

Q: Does this effect requires a diffcult sleight of hand? Is it hard to do the trick?
A: A little sleight of hand is needed. Like i said its pretty easy so i would not consider it a sleight at all. Doing the trick is easy, your presentation and confidence is what matters more.

Q: The gimmick, does it come in a red back or blue back bikes?
A: Wayne said that for the advance 300 copies, its totally random. But you'll get to choose after the official release. (Mine is red back btw)

Q: Can i use the gimmick with Bicycle Masters?
A: IMO, yes. You cannot really tell the difference in stock just by looking, although some hardcore fans might be able to feel it. Anyway it doesnt really matter as long as the spectators dont notice anything.

Q: Will T11 make more choices of the gimmick cards in the future?
A: I dont know, you'll have to ask them yourself :p

Final Thoughts:
There you have it, my 1st ever review. I hope i didnt waste 2 minutes of your life reading it.

On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 - Terrible // 10 - Excellent)
I'd give Distortion a 9/10. It definitely takes magic to a whole new different level. And i do hope they release more choices of the gimmick in the future

Zeroshift

Aug 31, 2007
Great review man. Now I seriously can't wait for mine to come in. And I'm pretty sure J.B. said that there would be more choices for gimmicks when the effect is officially released.

Sep 1, 2007
Great review man. Now I seriously can't wait for mine to come in. And I'm pretty sure J.B. said that there would be more choices for gimmicks when the effect is officially released.

thanks

i know you feel..but do remember to watch the entire dvd 1st before toying around with the gimmick

feel free to drop me a pm if you got any questions =)

Sep 1, 2007
Awesome review. (even though it's your first)
It answered a lot of my questions for the effect. It's nice to see some people actually put time and thought into their reviews.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results