Distortion: Q&A and Review

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I will try and answer the most common questions that I have seen on this website, but I WILL NOT reveal the gimmick or how the trick is done:

Q: Is there a gimmick?
A: Yes, THERE IS A GIMMICK, but it is included WITH your dvd purchase.

Q: Can this be done with cards other than the 4 and 6 if Diamonds??
A: No, it can only be done with those cards, as those are the one’s that are provided, however you could purchase this gimmick elsewhere and use other cards.

Q: Can you do this surrounded/ Is it angle sensitive?
A: It is almost completely angle proof; however, lighting could be an issue.

Q: How hard is this trick to perform?
A: In my opinion this trick is easy as can be. You will need to have a basic knowledge of sleight of hand and misdirection to perform this, but other than that, everything is pretty much self working.

Q: Can I make the gimmick should it be lost or damaged?
A: You could, but I highly recommend simply buying a new one from Theory 11.

Q: Can the deck be borrowed?
A: Yes, as long as you have the gimmick with you.

Q: Can the cards be passed out for inspection?
A: Yes, with some moves that are taught on the DVD, everything can be inspected.

Q: Can this trick be done with Bicycle Guardians, or Bicycle Masters?
A: No, it can not be done with Guardians, but it can be done with Masters, in fact, Wayne uses Masters in the DVD.

Q: Are there any variations?
A: The are two variations of this effect. One is Michael Ammar’s “Visually Yours” which is a very lovely effect. There is also an Easter Egg called “Visual Distortion” which is my preferred method of handling, and the only one that I use.

Q: Will I have to buy anything for this effect?
A: It all depends on what color gimmick you purchase, but if for some weird reason you don’t have any deck of cards, either a red or a blue deck.
That's it for the QUESTION part of the review.
If anyone feels that my answers expose any part of the trick in any way, please PM either me or somebody with the powers to edit my answers so that this wonderful piece of magic isn't exposed.

The Review!

Ah, Distortion. This trick has received a lot of hype and some controversy regarding its originality. People have criticized it for not being original, people have praised it for revamping an old idea, personally, I couldn’t care if Houdini himself did this trick, and made it famous and Wayne just ripped him off, I would still have bought this DVD. Before I ordered it however, I gave it lots of thought. The chief complaint was that the gimmick could easily be broken and people wondered about getting a new one. After much time spent not eating and contemplating whether or not to buy this, I sucked it up, and shelled out $24.95 + S&H and bought it. What a rollercoaster of feelings I had once I received it…

WHAT YOU GET

The DVD for Distortion.
The gimmick

THE GIMMICK

The gimmick… Where to begin… Well, lots of people have had problems with their gimmick, others have worked fine. Personally, I found that my gimmick was well made, and durable enough that I didn’t have to say a prayer every time I used it. I believe that for most people, their gimmick is well made, but still fragile. At first I wasn’t too impressed with the gimmick, as I thought that any lay-person would be able to see the method from a mile away, but so far in all off my performances, no body has suspected a thing. My advice would be: if you get it, be careful with it, and keep it in the original case that it comes in.

THE DVD

DVD Menu:
I really enjoyed this DVD. It has very simple, but good looking artwork on the cover and back. The menu is simple enough:
Play, Visually Yours (Michael Ammar’s handling of the effect) or Scenes are your choices.

Quality:
As for filming, it is very well filmed, very straightforward stuff, they do their signature Auto-Focus every so often. The picture quality is the same as it is for Panic, and for the 1-on-1 instant downloads.

Teaching:
The most important part is the teaching, and Wayne does a good job in teaching. I felt that it was a little rushed, almost like “Ok, here’s how it works, do it like this.” But Wayne does a good job teaching, and you will learn everything you need to know from this. One bonus that I thought helped and greatly enjoyed was Wayne doing a commentary of one of his performances that you can see in the demo (The guy saying he’s F***ing crazy). He goes step by step and tells you what is going on, and I found that it helped to see what you were supposed to do in a real life setting.

Easter Egg:
Visual Distortion. In my opinion, there’s no need to do the basic handling of Distortion, or Visually Yours, this one takes them both and makes them something special. It is such a strong effect that will get killer reactions, trust me, it beats out all others. I did find it funny that Wayne sounded as though he had a slight distaste for the name (Something that Dana came up with).

Performances:
This part is Wayne doing the trick on various different people, and just having fun on the pier. He did however break one of the Cardinal rules of magic: Never perform the same trick to the same audience twice! (Although technically, the majority of the audience had never seen it before) I really liked this part, and found it to be very enjoyable, and it was good to see Wayne’s sense of humor come out.

Setup/Reset:
The setup is very simple, but probably shouldn’t be done in front of the audience, but probably could. Reset will take about 30 seconds, but can’t be done in front of specs.

PRO'S AND CONS

Pro's:
VERY visual
Easy to do once you get used to the gimmick
I found the gimmick to be ingenious
Great teaching on DVD
Comes with the gimmick so that you don't have to make your own
Visual Distortion is to die for
Great audio commentary

Con's:
The gimmick is fragile
A heckler could kill the whole routine easily
I felt that the teaching was rushed
Short play time on DVD

OVERALL OPINION/FINAL THOUGHTS

Honestly, at first I was let down. Panic was such a great effect, the gimmick was amazing, and the teaching was so thorough it was as though Aaron OVER taught it. With this, I felt let down by the rushed teaching, and I felt that the gimmick was very obvious, I even contacted customer support about returning, because I was so disappointed, But I said to myself “No Jon, give it a week. If you don’t like it in a week, then you can return it.” Well, not even a week later, and it’s in my top 10 effects. It turned out to be a great effect, despite the fragile gimmick; in fact most people haven’t even been able to tell it’s a gimmicked card. I do have once piece of advice, and it’s something that Wayne recommends on the DVD: Do a quick, simple transpo effect to lead into this effect; I do Ultimate Transpo, and I think that’s what he does on the DVD. I think it gives a little bit more depth to the routine, as they kinda know what to expect. But that’s just my thought.

Buy this trick. If you don’t like it, return it, and get your money back, but I think that this one could be a REAL reputation maker!

9/10​

Last edited by a moderator:

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
very nice review.
How long did it take you to get use to the handling?

On which variation?
FOr the basic handling, I think that i was able to do it competently in about a day, but mind you I practiced it for most of that day.
For Visual Distortion, I spent most of the weekend and the next day doing nothing but that until I got sick of the freaking trick.
So I would say a short amount of time to get it to a passable/decent handling, but I would say put alot of time into it to get it really good.

Sep 2, 2007
Hows short play time a con?
He went through it thouroh ly length doesnt matter!

Nice review a LITTLE to revealing in some parts.

PS how do you know Wayne is using masters.

Buy this trick. If you don’t like it, return it, and get your money back, but I think that this one could be a REAL reputation maker!

9/10[/CENTER]

Honestly if you do this in my opinon your a frikken @ss face.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Hows short play time a con?
He went through it thouroh ly length doesnt matter!

Nice review a LITTLE to revealing in some parts.

PS how do you know Wayne is using masters.

1. I like dvd's to be long and in-depth, like Panic, it's just something that I enjoy. While I don't think it will deter people from buying it, it did annoy me slightly.
2. Please either PM me or just post on here what you thought was too revealing and I will change it.
3. I know he's using Masters because in the explanation for Visual Distortion you can clearly see that they are Masters.
4. Why do you think someone would be an @$$-face for doing that? Because they bought it just to learn the secret? I added that part because I felt that most of the magicians who purchased this effect wouldn't buy it just to know how it is done only to return it a day later. Rather I think that they would return it because they were disappointed maybe by the gimmick, or the teaching or some other effect.

Sep 2, 2007
nothing was reavealing enough to be removed. and after thinking about it ,it will do nothing but making something guess the wrong thing.

and yes if you buy it to find out how to do it then return it...

Yes you are truly ... in fact ... an ass.

and honestly

if you return it because you don't understand how to do it ...YOU ARE DUMB.

and with the way things are some people WILL buy it to find out how its done and return it.
and just so you guys know your all ass faces.

Sep 2, 2007
nothing was reavealing enough to be removed. and after thinking about it ,it will do nothing but making something guess the wrong thing.

and yes if you buy it to find out how to do it then return it...

Yes you are truly ... in fact ... an [expletive deleted].

and honestly

if you return it because you don't understand how to do it ...YOU ARE DUMB.

and with the way things are some people WILL buy it to find out how its done and return it.
and just so you guys know your all [expletive deleted] faces.

Some people return the effect because they are displeased with it, or don't like it, and, according to theory11's return policy and guarantee, they have a right to.

There's no need to abuse the abusers, no pun intended. There are checks against those who buy the effect and return it, in order to discover how it is done.

Although some people cross the line, there is no there is no need to lower ourselves to the level of others.

Cheers,
JTM

C

clarrus

I also think that peopel will see the gimmick. I havn't used it yet for the fear that people will see the obviousness. When I hold it at a arm's length away, I can see the gimmick. For anyone else who has done this trick, can you guys see the gimmick from your arms length away?

THE GIMMICK

The gimmick… Where to begin… Well, lots of people have had problems with their gimmick, others have worked fine. Personally, I found that my gimmick was well made, and durable enough that I didn’t have to say a prayer every time I used it. I believe that for most people, their gimmick is well made, but still fragile. At first I wasn’t too impressed with the gimmick, as I thought that any lay-person would be able to see the method from a mile away, but so far in all off my performances, no body has suspected a thing. My advice would be: if you get it, be careful with it, and keep it in the original case that it comes in.

9/10[/CENTER]

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I was performing this at a friend's party last night (He'd left us to go with some other friends somewhere else... Nice huh? :p )

I was worried about whether they'd see it to be honest because of the lighting conditions. Seriously, if you do it the way Wayne teaches you, they won't see a damn thing.

1) They won't be looking for anything
2) If they see the slightest glimpse of anything they'll attribute it to the waving of the card and the light
3) They won't be looking for anything.

A lot of people worry about people seeing things because they can see it. OF COURSE you can see it, you KNOW it's there. THEY don't and WON'T be looking for it :D Chill, be natural and make some magic. Everything will be fine.

Watch the excerpt in the media section, Wayne does this right beneath their noses and one of them even bends down, they still don't see anything!

- Sean

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
It's a fusion of Distortion and Michael Ammar's Visually Yours.

Here's what the effect is to a spectator:

The 6 of diamonds is signed and placed into the card box.
The 4 of diamonds is shown and waved a bit.
The 4 of diamonds mutates into the 6 of diamonds.
The 6 of diamonds is shown to have a signature on the back of it and is handed out for examination.
The 4 of diamonds ends up in the box.

It's not very hard but it IS hard hitting. :)

- Sean

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results