Divorce vs Reflex?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hey guys,
So I have decided to buy some impromptu ring magic to compliment Odyssey. I am currently deciding between Divorce by Justin Miller & Reflex by Patrick Kun.

They are pretty similar for a few moves, but I feel like I'm getting more out of Divorce? At the same time, I think Reflex fits better with Odyssey.

Could someone please explain the differences in what I'm getting?

P.S. yes, I asked this question in a thread I posted a short while ago, but the discussion went elsewhere, and no one actually ended up answering.

Thanks!

Jul 28, 2015
I would say divorce because reflex is mostly, if not entirely, penetration based effects which is basically what Odyssey is all about... with divorce you can involve the audience more, which in the long run will help your management and performance skills, plus there's a nice Transpo effect in there...

Reactions: obrienmagic

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
first lets start with what you get in each then i will tell you which i prefer. Deal? :)

Divorce: You get the following 5 effects with this:
-Ring to Ring Finger: The ring quickly jumps from your fingertips to your ring finger under guise of vanishing it.
-Ring to spectator's shoulder: Self explanatory
-Ring though finger (this is basically the move most people buy it for lol)
-two ring transpo: rings switch places... TWICE!
-the last one i cannot remember but there is a 5th effect too.... :( sorry lol

Reflex: You get the following 4 effects
-Ring through index finger: Slow motion the ring passes through your index finger and drops into your spectators hand (or on the table)
-Ring through finger: Ring quickly and visually passes through your finger (this is the reason people buy this version)
-ring to ring finger: The ring vanishes from your palm onto your ring finger.
-Ring vanish: The ring vanishes from a spectators hand, your knee, or a table.

My review of both:

1. Divorce: A great routine and full of hard hitting magic. Most of the moves taught are very elementary IMO and are basically coin moves but just adjusted for rings. The "Divorce" ring through finger move is the best part. It is IMO stronger than reflex because the ring penetrates through the finger the opposite way the finger bends making it stronger. Overall a good download if even just to gather ideas from. The main move is really strong and the routine as a whole is fun and easy to perform.

2. Reflex: The moves taught in this download are a bit more visual and creative IMO. The slow motion penetration is my favorite part. The "reflex" move however i do not like because i think it gives the method away the way it is performed. Millers divorce is the superior "through finger" version i think. The ring to ring finger is also super devious and looks great!

OVERALL: I think you should buy both because there is a ton of strong magic there. However if you HAD to pick one i would go with Divorce just because it is more versatile and i think the through finger move is superior in millers version.

Hope this helps answer your question lol

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
I would say divorce because reflex is mostly, if not entirely, penetration based effects which is basically what Odyssey is all about... with divorce you can involve the audience more, which in the long run will help your management and performance skills, plus there's a nice Transpo effect in there...
That transpo effect is my favorite effect besides the through finger move!

Reactions: HectorE1
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
first lets start with what you get in each then i will tell you which i prefer. Deal? :)

Divorce: You get the following 5 effects with this:
-Ring to Ring Finger: The ring quickly jumps from your fingertips to your ring finger under guise of vanishing it.
-Ring to spectator's shoulder: Self explanatory
-Ring though finger (this is basically the move most people buy it for lol)
-two ring transpo: rings switch places... TWICE!
-the last one i cannot remember but there is a 5th effect too.... :( sorry lol

Reflex: You get the following 4 effects
-Ring through index finger: Slow motion the ring passes through your index finger and drops into your spectators hand (or on the table)
-Ring through finger: Ring quickly and visually passes through your finger (this is the reason people buy this version)
-ring to ring finger: The ring vanishes from your palm onto your ring finger.
-Ring vanish: The ring vanishes from a spectators hand, your knee, or a table.

My review of both:

1. Divorce: A great routine and full of hard hitting magic. Most of the moves taught are very elementary IMO and are basically coin moves but just adjusted for rings. The "Divorce" ring through finger move is the best part. It is IMO stronger than reflex because the ring penetrates through the finger the opposite way the finger bends making it stronger. Overall a good download if even just to gather ideas from. The main move is really strong and the routine as a whole is fun and easy to perform.

2. Reflex: The moves taught in this download are a bit more visual and creative IMO. The slow motion penetration is my favorite part. The "reflex" move however i do not like because i think it gives the method away the way it is performed. Millers divorce is the superior "through finger" version i think. The ring to ring finger is also super devious and looks great!

OVERALL: I think you should buy both because there is a ton of strong magic there. However if you HAD to pick one i would go with Divorce just because it is more versatile and i think the through finger move is superior in millers version.

Hope this helps answer your question lol

Thanks!
I still have a few questions, if you wouldn't mind answering. If you can't answer one of them without giving it away, just say so. Thx.

1. Is the Divorce version of the ring through finger only usable on the pinky?

2. Is the reflex move only doable one way? I.e with the palm facing the spectators? Or did you mean something else?

3. Does Reflex ring through finger really reveal the method to an unsuspecting Spectator?

I'm going to be pairing it with Odyssey for a large opening routine. Right now it looks like this.

A 3 or 4 step Odyssey Routine, ending with the ring to shoulder. I switch out the gimmicked ring for the real one after this.

Here is where I would add something from one of the 2 products.
If Reflex:
Ring to Ring Finger, then ring through finger, dropping the ring onto a table to get that satisfying metal sound, and in case anyone wants to inspect it.
If Divorce:
Probably just Ring through finger. Maybe the ring to ring finger, but I feel like that wouldn't flow too well with Odyssey having already been performed.

As things stand, I think I'm leaning more towards Reflex now, actually. I think I can use it more than divorce right now.

I'll probably pick up both eventually. But right now, Reflex looks like the better option for my current performing needs

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results