The Magician Online

The Magician Online is a live, interactive, online experience - in the comfort of your own home. Starring Dan White. As seen by Ashton Kutcher, Ariana Grande, Chris Rock, James Corden, Jessica Alba, and President Clinton.

See details

Do you know this card trick?

Apr 11, 2022
When I was 10 years old (many years ago), my friend's older brother performed this card trick for me. He asked me to divide face down a full deck of cards into multiple piles. I can't remember if it had to be divided into a certain number of piles determined by him or into any number of piles that I wanted.

After I did this, he would tell me what would be the sum of the top card of all the piles combined. And I would turn over the top card of each pile and voila, the sum of those cards would be exactly as he had stated. I don't remember what value the jack, queen or king represented.

I went home and tried to figure out how to do this trick. I practiced for hours every day. A week later I figured it out. I came up with a mathematical formula which gave me the correct answer every time. I went back to my friend's older brother and showed him how figured out the trick. He was impressed but said that he did the trick a different way.

In any case, I have forgotten the trick and how to do it. Does anyone know the name of this trick and how to do it?

Any help is appreciated.

:D

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Jun 3, 2020
This isn't the one you're looking for because it's from a newer book but if you're' looking for another really cool mathematical principal that can be used for a similar effect, Mike Powers has a really cool effect in Tesseract where the deck is cut 4 times and the top card of each packet is represents a coincidence/prediction/order (depending on how you want to present it) from a 4 digit mathematical equation.

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
The description reminds me of several self-working mathematical tricks that work much like this. Take a look at these:

- "Necromantic Calculation" by Roland Hamblen, as described in Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks.
- "The Puzzler" by Bob Short, as described in Scarne on Card Tricks (p129).

Here's a detailed description of a similar effect, along with a mathematical explanation of how it works.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results