Do you levitate ?

Do you levitate ?

• On a regular basis, and I'm comfortable with it

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Never

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Tryied once. Got caught. Won't do it again.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • On special occasions, like when I'm drunk and unaffraid.

Votes: 7 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
Hi guys !

I think almost everyone here knows at least one way to "levitate" (Balducci, king rising...). I personnaly think my Balducci levitation is quite smooth, but I've never actually performed it for anybody else than my mirror and my camera recorder, due to the fear of being caught and looking like a fool I guess...

On the other hand, I just saw again some vids of David Blaine who seems to get pretty amazing reactions out of one simple, well executed balducci levitation(and btw, angles seem to be wider than I thought, because he does it for 4 people and doesn't flash).

So here's my question : do you guys actually levitate in the real world ? If so, do you think it should be performed after specific effects (makes more sense if you levitate after reading their mind rather rather than after a sponge ball routine imo, but I might be wrong !). Do you do it 1on1 or do you go fort 2-3 people ? Do youy tell them that you're about to levitate before doing it ? Tell me about your experiences !

Cheers
F.

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
I just thought that "sometimes" falls under the response "on special occasions". Maybe I shouldn't have made the lame drunk joke, would have been less misleading :D

Wild levitation ? Don't know that one, so I'm gonna check right now. So, how do you perform it ? I mean, in which circumstances ?

Jan 16, 2010
depends

I wont flat out do a levitation as it doesnt routine well with most of the stuff I do. however on the occasion someone asks me, can you levitate? i will do a fast king rising, or balducci levitation.

it always gets good reactions as its not something that i do all the time, and I perform it under the "I can try" pretense. like I said the reactions are always great, and it is also alot of fun to perform.

the largest group ive done it for is around 8-9 people. however I did have to walk a little bit away.

Nov 23, 2007
NC
Never.

Just because I can doesnt mean I should. I realize its just not my style.

Tryied once. Got caught. Won't do it again.
What is this?

The Magicians Guilde to a Bigger Ego states:
Thou shalt not attempt an effect if it has not been practiced or thought over enough and the surrounding circumstances are not adequate for said performance. If one wishes to "pull something off" additional private time with ones self is in need.

Nov 7, 2009
I know how most levitations work and I can do simple ones like Balducci, Wild, King rising, etc...
But I choose not to do them...
I personally think some effects are TO strong and make your other tricks look like crap. I know I will get attacked for saying this lol but in my opinion tricks like Karate Coin, Self levitations and coinbite are too unrealistic and stupid. People know its a trick coin or he has special shoes or hes holding onto something.... I personally dont perform tricks which just are to bizzare and impossible.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I find people have no real explanation for wild levitation, even though it uses a jacket (which no one has ever questioned me about). It's always ready to go, and I more often than not have a jacket or hoodie on.
I don't do it often, but the stories fly out of control (sorry about the pun).

j

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Balducci kills when done ascending and descending slowly.
You have to have strong calves though as to not shake or look as if your pushing yourself.
Standing calf raise on a smith machine,I recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how most levitations work and I can do simple ones like Balducci, Wild, King rising, etc...
But I choose not to do them...
I personally think some effects are TO strong and make your other tricks look like crap. I know I will get attacked for saying this lol but in my opinion tricks like Karate Coin, Self levitations and coinbite are too unrealistic and stupid. People know its a trick coin or he has special shoes or hes holding onto something.... I personally dont perform tricks which just are to bizzare and impossible.

Umm..... Yeah... What you're saying is that instead of doing things that are simple and could potentially be interpreted as the real thing and leave a strong emotional impact on people are left out of your repertoire because you want people to also like your sandwich routine and other card tricks? Ok, that makes perfect sense.

Sep 12, 2007
Normandy, FRANCE
If performed well, I'm sure a self levitation won't look stupid...I'm quite sure that it's indeed the kind of thing that can really "disturd reality", if I may say so. Just look at the reactions when Blaine does it ! I know he has a strong personna and does it after several hard hitting tricks, but still...It DEVASTATES them !

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I know I will get attacked for saying this lol but in my opinion tricks like Karate Coin, Self levitations and coinbite are too unrealistic and stupid. People know its a trick coin or he has special shoes or hes holding onto something.... I personally dont perform tricks which just are to bizzare and impossible.

so basically,with that last sentence, your not doing anything a magician does?
Then what do you do?

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
well, visualartist, from what he said I think he performs simple puzzles. He may call them tricks, but they're puzzles. No emotional impact, just something for them to think about and try to figure out.

That's not magic, yo.

You, my friend, should read Darwin Ortiz's "Strong Magic". Also, I recommend you perform some super easy routines, and try and just concentrate on presentation. You can do other stuff, but set aside one or two effects and just hype them to the max. See which ones your audience liks better.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
well, visualartist, from what he said I think he performs simple puzzles. He may call them tricks, but they're puzzles. No emotional impact, just something for them to think about and try to figure out.

Ok,gotcha. It was a straight up question from me to him. I was genuinely confused.
Personally as a spectator,I always hated puzzle magic-esque tricks.

Dude,I loved this song when I was like 5 or 6.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3T_xeoGES8

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
yah, I agree. The only magician I ever saw was when I was like 7, at a restaurant. The only thing I remember him doing was borrowing my crayon and making it float. The rest was forgotten. This is why I think floating borrowed objects is some of the strongest magic out there, becuase it sure left an impact on me :D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results