Do you need a stage show? Essay #7 by JDG

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Hiya Gang!

Okay, so you've been doing close-up for a while now and are confident of your game. Event planners like you, clients rebook you, and you're firing on all cylinders. The question is, do you now create a stage show? Is it necessary? Will it get you more money?

My advice? Absolutely. With a caveat...

No elephants.

Here's the thing. Our image of a stage show is veeeery different from a corporate planner's idea of a stage show. And I should mention that this essay is looking at this question from the point of view of someone who wants to book "gigs" as opposed to someone who wants to host their own show in a theatre~ a dangerous undertaking if you don't have:

A) A large family of a couple hundred siblings all living within two blocks of you.

or,

B) A large group of people (say 500) that you owe more than $10 to, thereby making it worth their while to buy a ticket and wait for you outside the door when it's over.

but that's a discussion for another time...

Where were we? Oh yeah, elephants. Typically when we imagine of a stage show, we think of Metamorphosis and the like. Event planners, however, are thinking more along the lines of you bringing their co-workers up on stage and everyone laughing at them. Almost like a comedian that uses volunteers. Your job is to find a sort of artistic marriage, somewhere in the middle. So the first question is, why a stage show in the first place?

A) Stage shows charge more money.
B) You will always upsell a Close-up show with your Stage show.
C) Stage shows charge more money.

With "why" out of the way, let's look at "how?"

The Bad News:

My 45 minute after-dinner show has taken me 10 years to perfect. No kidding. Read that again: 10 years = 45 minutes.

The Good News:

It doesn't have to be perfect for you to sell it. Man, my very first stage show was for 400 people and they had a dance floor the size of Lake Erie. My first effect? A goldfish production. Aie yai yai. But you know what? I still cashed the cheque. And I learned something. And I got better.

The Better News:

Performing stage material is infinitely easier to practice than Walk Around. No kidding. Performing (i.e. getting paid) Walk Around magic has so much to do with personality that it can be quite hard, for some, to get the hang of. Stage magic, however, is a cinch. Just march yourself down to any open-mic night at any cafe in your city. You'll know within 3 minutes if you're any good or not. And make no mistake, this will be the number one way for you to learn your act- on stage.

Well, I hope that gives you some insight. Basically, once you've become a solid Walk-Around performer and you want to start making some extra moohlah- put together 10 minutes that you can do at an open-mic night (and don't be afraid if it's only 10 guys with guitars and glasses without lenses. They'll be happy to have something different to mix it up). Once you've got 10 minutes and you know people don't hate you, offer to do your bit at some friends' birthdays and such. Add more effects, do more open mics, repeat. And then offer it up for sale!

And remember- believe in yourself! Copy and paste that. Put it on your wall. Because you are going to fail. You are going to come home one night and wish that you had never heard of Lake Erie. But I promise you, you will make it.

Never give up.

All my best,

jamie d. grant
www.cardsinabottle.com

I got a feeling you are posting these essays as the topics in the forum trends Jamie. However, another solid read from you! If that cards in a bottle thing ever dries up you've got a promising future in the motivational speaking industry!

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
What advice do you give to someone wanting to create and perform big illusions Jamie? I perform a LOT of stand-up-ish material, sometimes I get paid but mostly for free. I do birthday gigs for different ages (paid), high school art appreciation classes (free), church functions(free) First Friday Festivals (tips) etc. I try to just get out and perform for as many people possible and get known.

But, I feel that the certain facet of magic that appeals to me the most is big illusions and stage, even though I LOVE up close and personal. So, like I said in my other thread, I want to take the next year to a year and a half to create a show for a local theater next to the college I go to. It's a quaint little theater, and it's right in the middle of downtown. Not only do I have a lot of support from friends and family, I'm sure the average college student on a day off (or their girlfriends) would like to come see some magic.

I'll advertise via flyers around campus, and talk with the local press to try and create a little publicity. Now the biggest problem I'm having is finding the right material for me. I definitely can't afford an $11,000 dollar illusion to be built and shipped to me, but I do have the time and resources to construct one with the help of a skilled carpenter in the family. So I've been looking through Tarbell, and Greater Magic, and just purchased a book on stage magic and illusions from Steinmeyer.

What advice would you give me? I'm determined, and I know I can do this. I just need guidance.

Robert

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Hiya Robert!

Thanks for posting! You've got great questions that pertain to what I think a lot of people would like to do. So...

Let me say that I'm a big believer in "dream big". However, I'm also a believer in practical goal setting. There's a big difference to "I want to be a millionaire one day!" and "I want to be a millionaire tomorrow!" And, trust me, I've been in your shoes (not literally though, as that would just be weird).

Here's the thing:church festivals, appreciation days, etc. are absolutely crucial to working your material. You're 100% right in performing at those venues and getting your chops together. They are not, however, an act. What's an act? Well, that's anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours of material that blends together in a cohesive, entertaining, and valuable way. Now here's the thing, you can't (correction: shouldn't) try and bust out an act for the first time in a theatre. An act needs to be perfected over time. It needs to be repeated, honed, and repeated some more. And then you need to go out and repeat it. After that, it needs to be repeated.

But how?

Well, I firmly believe that Open-Mics are a godsend to small town (and big city, for that matter) America (and Canada!). I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to go out into a crowd that will potentially give you nightmares for years to come. Even though it's scary as heck, it is the only way to see if you can walk the walk. Because I guarantee you that all those people at the free events you do (who clap and applaud politely because they're so thankful that they someone who has helped them) will burn down your house once they have to pay $5 and they're forced to watch some large silver rings clang together and fall to the floor.

You're on the right track. Dream big! Go outside and take a picture of that theatre. Print it off, and tape it to your wall. Look at it every time you go out to Joe's Coffee and Shovels House to perform your 10 minutes. Tell yourself that in no uncertain terms that you'll have a show in that theatre one day. Just not tomorrow...

All my best,

jamie

P.S. Where the heck is Chris (Kenner) when you need him?

Jun 1, 2009
Well it's not really ten minutes, but it is an open mic story/ies. My school's talent show is called "Open Mic" with a fun little theme attached each time, we do about 4 a year. I've performed in about 4 of those. The effects I did are Invisible Deck (jumbo), an impossible 3 card location, carbon paper (jumbo cards...don't recommend it.) and Mind Merge, again with the jumbo cards. I might do the next one, but auditions are next week and I don't really have an effect together. I would like to do more than just one effect, but I don't have anything strung together, maybe next time....

....Whoops, got off track. Anyway, doing the Open Mics has really helped my rep in school (I'm "Jacob the Magic Man" on the posters) and people are all like "Hey! You do magic!" and I can walk up and perform much easier for people. That said, it has greatly boosted my confidence and street performances are becoming less and less difficult to do regarding nerves. I don't really have a stage "show" or "act" but I tend to just take effects and blow them up haha. I'm working on it though....one day I'll get it.
Just thought I'd share!

Jacob

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results