Do you shake when you perform?

Jun 29, 2009
I'm having a slight problem, in that sometimes i get comments about how i shake sometimes when i perform. Then usually when someone says that, i am able to redo what i did without shaking.

Does anyone have tips on this matter? Of course, i've only performed in front of friends and family, but sometimes i shake without knowing. I feel fine, i see my hands and they are not shaking, but the spectator says that they are.

This is obviously a huge problem, and takes initial credibility down to zero at times. I seem nervous when in reality, i am truly not -- my speech is very presentable.

My solution: practice. If i do a certain move 5 thousand times, then chances are i won't shake.

Let me know what you think. It would reassure me if an experienced magician had this problem early out, or many people have this problem and they've fixed it.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I used to shake like hell when I started performing to the public, especially during the approach and the first effect. My recommendation would be to make your opener something that's not too sleight-heavy, maybe forcing a card and reading their mind. That way, you get a chance to relax into your performance, build up some rapport and start to feel comfortable before your hands have to do any real work.

As you say though, the long term solution is practice; not just in front of the mirror, but building up experience performing for real live people. It won't take long before it's second nature and the shakes will disappear completely.

Jul 14, 2008
Every magician has experience of "shaking" when it comes to performing magic. This is quite normal at first and to solve the problem, keep performing and eventually, it will fade away.

Sep 1, 2007
USA
Sounds like you've just started performing for people... Shaking is COMPLETELY normal everybody has shaken in at least one performance.

Watch this video. It is kind of long and if you don't feel like watching it all, the shaking part of it can be found at 6:06 in the video...

http://theory11.com/beginners.php

Hope I helped

ZG

Jun 29, 2009
Haha thanks everyone. I wouldn't consider myself a complete beginner, but i'm definitely only performing basic double lifts and forces. I am glad to hear its completely normal, and that practice will make it much better. I already feel much more confident in front of people, oh and for the record my patter is awesome.

My reason for bringing this topic up is because sometimes the audience perceives me shaking, when in reality i look down and my hands seem very still. But then when someone mentions it i focus on it and do not shake.

Is it all in my head? haha

EDIT: That video was awesome. I'm glad it happened to everyone, and i do notice that i am showing people my tricks too early -- i need to practice them more. Yesterday i learned how to perform the molecule 4 false cut, and today i tried performing it in front of my brother, a friend, my dad. LOL i need to practice it much longer than that (although 3/4 times its smooth).

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 22, 2009
Tape yourself in performace for someone new. That will let you see how you are in front of people that you have not performed for yet.

Mar 13, 2009
Yeah just perform more and more.

At the beginning my shaking was really strong.... but now its gone. :)

Mar 26, 2009
Arizona
im relatively new at magic and havent done street approaches. but i have done magic for people at a bar/nightclub. They were friends of the friends of the group of coworkers that my girlfriend knew, so while not random people that i had to approach, they were total strangers. My cure? GET DRUNK! or at least a buzz. They dont call it courage juice for nothing. If it can help you hit on girls or start that fight, why shouldnt it help you perform? Im only halfway kidding....

I have noticed though that after a couple rounds with the group, my performance anxiety went away. However, dont get to f'd up or you will stumble through your trick. :D

Mar 13, 2009
im relatively new at magic and havent done street approaches. but i have done magic for people at a bar/nightclub. They were friends of the friends of the group of coworkers that my girlfriend knew, so while not random people that i had to approach, they were total strangers. My cure? GET DRUNK! or at least a buzz. They dont call it courage juice for nothing. If it can help you hit on girls or start that fight, why shouldnt it help you perform? Im only halfway kidding....

I have noticed though that after a couple rounds with the group, my performance anxiety went away. However, dont get to f'd up or you will stumble through your trick. :D

Sorry, but I dont like the Idea.
You should be able to speak to people and perform withouth beeing drunk or tipsy.
If you see someone that you want to perform for or just want to meet.. you cant like... do some shots on the spot everytime.
My cure? Just Perform.. as often as you can.. every day.
So you'll be pumped just doing Magic for people..naturally.

When I approach people.. wheter to perform or just to speak with them.
I'm so psyched just showing them a miracle. Showing them my World.
To see there reactions.. just to interact with people ... its awesome.

I'm addicted to performing, its like a drug to me.

So kick your approach anexiety and just do it, dont think about it!.
Have a strong opening Trick that you can realy on this will help you at the beginning with the anexiety and with your shaking.

I have the same problem, and have had it for over a year. I'm completely calm around strangers now, its just if I perform for othe magicians. It has improved drastically though, so just PRACTICE:)

-Dan

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
Pratice

I'm having that same problem right now. when i perform they noticed me shaking a liitle than I stop. When I first start to perform I get shaking, but half way I lost my shaking. I felt really good about my performance and the people did too. Tips are to pratice and perform and as soon you learn a new trick pratice it for a week until performing.

Jun 29, 2009
I think this has been a very successful topic. I didn't expect this unanimous response.

I've always gotten good reactions though, so hopefully i will keep practicing and getting better. I know when college starts up again i will lose time to do this, so i better get hours in before that happens!

Thanks for the replies!

Nov 19, 2008
another thing I think is worth noting is to only perform when you are comfortable. Don't let people pressure you into showing them tricks when you don't want to or you feel like you will be in a nervous situation. And, always remember magic is not about mechanics, it's about interaction and having fun with people.

Second suggestion- if you get shaky, do something that is mostly in the spectators hands or requires no sleight of hand (B'Wave is one of my personal favorites.)

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
practice practice practice IN FRONT OF REAL PEOPLE. The only way to get over this is to perform in front of real people, and try to be concious of it.

If someone mentions that I'm shaking for some reason, I respond with, "I learned this trick in Alaska"

Jun 29, 2009
practice practice practice IN FRONT OF REAL PEOPLE. The only way to get over this is to perform in front of real people, and try to be concious of it.

If someone mentions that I'm shaking for some reason, I respond with, "I learned this trick in Alaska"

HAHA you my friend are a brilliant blinding light from heaven.

Sep 1, 2007
Shaking comes from tension. You're keeping tense to spring into action should fight or flight become necessary.

Just breathe evenly and stay out of your own head. After finished an effect, while everyone is reacting and smiling, step out of your head and think, "Okay, is everything going well? Yes? Good, we're on track." Relax the shoulders and neck and let yourself lean back slightly. You'll feel much better since you've physically and mentally loosened up and detached yourself a little bit.

Sep 1, 2007
Doing the tricks a million times in your bedroom will help, but it will not solve the problem. When performing in front of people you are in a new situation and under a lot of pressure when everybody's watching you. Generally people find this uncomfortable so your body tries to help you a little bit by giving you extra strength and energy through generating more addreline. This is what makes you shake.

So to get rid of shakiness you have to get used to people watching you so your body knows that you will do just fine without the extra addreline rush. Meaning that (as mentioned in this thread multiple times) you will get over it simply by performing in front of people.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
OMG , that's normal , i was shaking like crazy when i first started doing card magic but then , after performing for some people , your hand will eventually stop shaking

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results