Do you want an "Off Topic Forum" Vote!

D0 you want an Off Topic Forum?

• Yes

Votes: 50 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters
Sep 1, 2007
Well I have heard that people wanted it, but I never saw a poll, So I decided I would make one. I for sure want one. I mean we got some cool people here, I would like to talk about other things besides magic with them.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
surprised someone voted no.....

Personally I voted no, no sense hiding it. I am curious what purpose an "off-topic" forum would serve in a magic forum? The general purpose of these forums is to further magic and the discussion of magic. Given the incredibly large number of forums out there I am sure there is one designed to suit the needs of nearly every and any subject worth discussing.

I would really need to see some examples of off topic discussions that you had in mind before I would vote yes.

Are we talking about topics such as:

"What kind of car do you drive?"
"What did you guys think of Transformers the movie?"
"This one time at band camp....."

I would think the general reason most people come to these forums is to discuss magic and the different theorys and aspects of magic in general.

Anyways just my thoughts, not trying to rain on anyone's parade or pee in your cornflakes I just don't see the point right now.

--Jim

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Personally I voted no, no sense hiding it. I am curious what purpose an "off-topic" forum would serve in a magic forum? The general purpose of these forums is to further magic and the discussion of magic. Given the incredibly large number of forums out there I am sure there is one designed to suit the needs of nearly every and any subject worth discussing.

I would really need to see some examples of off topic discussions that you had in mind before I would vote yes.

I would think the general reason most people come to these forums is to discuss magic and the different theorys and aspects of magic in general.

Anyways just my thoughts, not trying to rain on anyone's parade or pee in your cornflakes I just don't see the point right now.

--Jim

While I respectfully disagree, you have a very valid point.

Nov 22, 2007
Of course we come here to discuss magic, but what about the other things we might have in common? You never know.

And my opinion is, if you do not want an off topic forum, just don't go to the off topic forum.

Sep 1, 2007
Well a lot of people feel that these forums are a community, not just a magic board. So people want a place to chat with the rest of the community.

C

clarrus

--Jim

The new Transformers movies was HORRIBLE.

Anyways, some of the threads on this general discussion could have been put into off topic forums. Like business card help, or how many of you guys play card games etc.

--Jim
I agree and that's why I voted "no". I'd rather just put our AIM screen names in our signatures. If you want to "off-topic" chat, then do it somewhere else like AIM or MSN.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
what purpose would it bring?

look at E...its already starting here too

topics repeated constantly day after day, over and over
theres only so much you can talk about in "magic"
eventually people get bored of repeated things, and lose interest, eventually not bother reading the forums at all

there are a ton of bright individuals here who would thrive in off topic discussions...religion, the war, or the price of gas etc

it just opens up the gateways to more people visiting the forums, and staying on the forums, involved in great discussion

have an internet forum focusing on one thing only, and not having an off topic section where people can unwind, is in my mind, idiotic.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
what purpose would it bring?

look at E...its already starting here too

topics repeated constantly day after day, over and over
theres only so much you can talk about in "magic"
eventually people get bored of repeated things, and lose interest, eventually not bother reading the forums at all

there are a ton of bright individuals here who would thrive in off topic discussions...religion, the war, or the price of gas etc

it just opens up the gateways to more people visiting the forums, and staying on the forums, involved in great discussion

have an internet forum focusing on one thing only, and not having an off topic section where people can unwind, is in my mind, idiotic.

So you think that the general public here could have a civil discussion regarding religion, war, and other political issues? Do you feel that this is really the place to be discussing those topics?

I am not saying it would be a bad thing but I feel that it would create a tremendous strain on the crew here and the team that keeps these forums semi-civil as it is. Why not unwind with an effect you bought and never really put the time into practicing instead of spending more time on internet forums? I think having a thriving community is great but I also feel there needs to be a fair amount of balance between spending time talking about magic and actually performing and practicing it.

I am not trying to argue against it but I am not really convinced it would serve much purpose on a forum that is designed and centered around magic.

--Jim

Sep 1, 2007

I definitely think an off topic forum would be beneficial. Yes, this site was created to further advance the art of magic, but there is nothing wrong with getting to know your community better, especially if you have stuff in common.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
So you think that the general public here could have a civil discussion regarding religion, war, and other political issues? Do you feel that this is really the place to be discussing those topics?

I am not saying it would be a bad thing but I feel that it would create a tremendous strain on the crew here and the team that keeps these forums semi-civil as it is. Why not unwind with an effect you bought and never really put the time into practicing instead of spending more time on internet forums? I think having a thriving community is great but I also feel there needs to be a fair amount of balance between spending time talking about magic and actually performing and practicing it.

I am not trying to argue against it but I am not really convinced it would serve much purpose on a forum that is designed and centered around magic.

--Jim

lol?
we cant even talk about magic here because everybody is so anal about exposing the slightest detail, that nobody can really help anyone in any detail

im a member of other forums for a video game for example, and the off topic discussions are just as, if not more popular than the on topic ones, you get to see another side of people, and have civil discussions

sure there are 5 year olds who try to cause trouble, but thats everywhere

as i said, the forums already getting bland, theres 23895789x more topics to talk about outside of magic, than there is about magic.

want a successful site/forum, to draw more people in, who will eventually buy more merchandise because they spend more time here, then put in a off topic section.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
I would say yes..
Only if they could control who joins the thread.. So spammers dont come in..

Maybe people woul dneed 100+ posts to join or something..

~Jordan garret.

Aug 30, 2007
I'd just like to encourage everyone who hasn't weighed in on this issue to cast a vote and post and opinion or idea. We're watching this thread closely and we will consider enacting something based on the thoughts and ideas presented here while maintaining high quality discussion and insightful posting soon.

I personally don't think that we need a forum that fills up with polls about which Power Ranger color is best. Bayme votes for pink, if you wanted to know. However, I do think that there is value in having a forum with a more relaxed subject matter as long as the discussion stays informative, interesting, relevant, and helps build the community.

Thoughts?

Dana

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I'd just like to encourage everyone who hasn't weighed in on this issue to cast a vote and post and opinion or idea. We're watching this thread closely and we will consider enacting something based on the thoughts and ideas presented here while maintaining high quality discussion and insightful posting soon.

I personally don't think that we need a forum that fills up with polls about which Power Ranger color is best. Bayme votes for pink, if you wanted to know. However, I do think that there is value in having a forum with a more relaxed subject matter as long as the discussion stays informative, interesting, relevant, and helps build the community.

Thoughts?

Dana

I agree completely. I think that you would def. need to get more mods if you opened up such a thread, but people here are usually pretty good, so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results