Does Being Just A Creator Make You A Magician?

Oct 23, 2012
Tampa,FL
Hey Guys,

Earlier today I met up with a few fellow magicians and one of them brought along a friend. This "friend" was into magic just like the rest of us, but, he didn't perform. He created. I'm sure many of us have created effects of our own. But, He solely created and didn't perform at all. I thought this was bizarre because how could you create without showing at least a few people what you have created. It turns out that he shares his methods with other magicians and they perform for him. So, this lead me to the question, "Does being just a creator make you a magician?" Is he a magician? Or just simply a creator that creates magic tricks.

I would love to hear what you guys think about this situation.

Thanks,

/// Y:E ///

Jun 27, 2013
It depends on what your definition of a magician is Ex)My eight year old cousin is a magician. or Ex 2) Houdini was the one and only true magician. These are just examples.

Dean Magic

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Florida
It depends on what your definition of a magician is Ex)My eight year old cousin is a magician. or Ex 2) Houdini was the one and only true magician. These are just examples.

I completely agree with this. the dictionary definition is " One who performs magic for entertainment or diversion." but it is really a matter of how you choose to look at the situation. hope that helps.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
my opinion is that there are people that is more suited to create magic than perform...I saw Losander performing sometime ago..and well...it was bad... but he has created some of the most amazing magic props ever...also there is people that can only perform, but has no talent creating magic... but has the gift of talking in public..I know a couple like that...

Fortunately magic is a multidiscipline art..so you can go many ways and you can still success!!

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
My definition of a magician is simple and to the point. One who uses the art of deception for entertainment. Creators and Performers, along with the HUGE spectrum inbetween all fall under that definition. Don't take my word here at all, because I may be utterly wrong, but I have never particularly heard of or seen Matheiu Bich performing for non-magical audiences, and he is (I think) THE best creator in magic in the past decade. His work is revolutionary, and at least things like spreadwave have never been seen before his time. Thought of maybe, maybe, but done? I'd have to see it to believe it. Now, one man can't make or break an argument, but I think he serves well to show just how useful "magic creators" can be. Even if they do nothing but create.

The only thing I could say against pure creators would be the disconnect between them and the real audience, all their feedback comes from a middleman, but that can definitely be overcome if you are working with experienced performers or have a background in performance. Or even have spent enough time seeing performers, and the reactions they get.

I am also pretty biased however, because I believe creation to be the most critical part of any art form, whether it is creation of a performance and character or the creation of new effects, I think nothing is more important to the artist or the art.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I've been known for my technical & resource skills for decades and have worked with several award winning teams on top end grand illusions as well as some smaller effects (some of which get stolen by well known Tv jerks. . . not that I'd ever refer to an ego with a bad haircut a jerk). Truth of the matter is, you can't design effective magic unless you perform. There are far too many variables involved so you either have to have three or four solid performers on hand that you trust with your life & livellihood or you must perform yourself in order to field test your brain children.

Over the past decade or so I've seen hundreds of things come onto the market that simply stunk and in most instances, were extreme ripp-offs because they were known methods that were being repackaged. Two in particular came out of Paper Crane which got scathing reviews by some of Mentalism's top people their "theft" and "rewording" (scooting along the edge of honesty) was so rampant. I was quite disappointed given what seemed to be a promising resource, but again, seeing my material with someone eles's name on it kind of ticked me off.

THIS IS THE BANE OF BEING A CREATOR, HOWEVER. This and the fact that 95% of what you come up with has been done. Great minds like Harary, Stinemeyer, Wakling, etc. will all tell you that less than 10% of what they come up with is viable in the real world and of that one one in ten things becomes a hit; the sort of sensation that everyone wants in their act.

Are Magic Mechanic's Magicians?

You Bet! We create a different kind of magic and gain a different sort of pleasure but even Bill Smith & John Gaughan perform as do most publishers of magic magazines.

I've found that the majority of those calling themselves a 'developer' aren't. They don't have a reference library for starters, which means they have no way of researching a concept, move, method, etc. which comes with a long list of other issues, such as not being able to show the history and evolution of their effect and what makes it so different and so special. . . and of course, giving credit where it is due and in so doing, having permission to publish methods that don't belong to you so as to reveal comparisons and improvements. A great example of this is a thing called a Bubble Peek that's currently on the market -- it's a cheap knock-off of Millard Longman's Acidus Novus and isn't nearly as clean. . . and yes, I've confronted the "innovator" on this point as have (are) other reviewers. The lack of integrity on the "developer's" end is shameful enough but the distributors of that technique are just as liable when it comes to putting out something that's not legitimately "new" for lack of a better term.

Being a "Creator" of magic ain't easy but I can assure you, those that EARN the accolades over time, are generally worthy of the title "Magician". There is one other point of distinction that must be made however; creating a new dress for an old effect doesn't make one an innovator. While there are dozens of variants to things like OOTW, each one unique, it's still the same effect using the same exact principles; the only thing "new" is the theme or storyline and this is something many gloss over. Similarly, we have a lot of fantastic artists out there that create a new look for an old piece but they have little to no knowledge when it comes to developing a prop that's deceptive by way of sight and in some cases, touch. Sometimes taking that extra step or three makes a huge difference between having a neat trick vs. a super nice, well thought out effect. . . a few years ago I bought a $300.00 spirit bell that I had to throw nearly $200.00 more into because the developers didn't take the steps required for making the thing more deceptive and logical -- removing the obvious, as it were. Though all magic that we buy is just a foundation piece, this was an extreme, one that the developers should be ashamed of in that "cheap" wasn't the route to take.

Enough of my ranting and examples, I hope I've made some sense.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I think magic creators who have no aspiration towards performance have just as much right to be called magicians as anyone else. In some cases, more so. The John Gaughans and Jim Steinmeyers of this world are probably more qualified to hold the title of "magician" (even though their reputation has been built in creation rather than performance) than ninety-nine percent of "workers" (a meaningless badge which doesn't bring with it any extra claim to artistry or ability). To me, it's like the distinction between theoretical and experimental physicists. Just because someone does all their work on a blackboard, hidden away in the inner sanctum of a university, rather than in "the real world" doesn't make them any less a scientist.

To me, a magician is one who creates magic. That could mean that they directly elicit the moment of magic in the mind of an audience, as in a performance. Or it could mean that they facilitate magic by inventing the tools, either tangible or intellectual, with which magic is created.

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
To me, a magician is one who creates magic. That could mean that they directly elicit the moment of magic in the mind of an audience, as in a performance. Or it could mean that they facilitate magic by inventing the tools, either tangible or intellectual, with which magic is created.

Beautifully said.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
A lot of our greatest close-up magicians were hobbyists. Larry Jennings was a plumber.

There are many who "create" but can't perform. (Nowadays those people are called consultants) You have to perform a creation to make sure it is the best it can be for the desired impact otherwise you are just entertaining yourself and possibly your webcam.

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Professor, Dai Vernon, hated to perform magic. He loved creating sleights, routines and ideas, but performing magic in front of an audience... well, wasn't his cup of tea. Does that mean he wasn't a magician?

It all depends at what you think a magician is. Some may say a magician is just an entertainer who delights his audience with magic tricks. Others may think that someone who just performs stuff from other people, stuff (s)he hasn't come up with, isn't a true magician, though. I personally think that anyone who enjoys magic and creates some sort of art (even if it's just based on performance) with it must be considered a magician. While creating effects is wonderful in my opinion, there's nothing I enjoy more than feeling my audience is having a good time, and interacting with them in a friendly way is, without a doubt, what I love most in magic.

If Picasso had kept all his paintings instead of placing them in museums, would we have to say he wasn't a real artist?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results