Does Originality Exist?

With the immense abundance of new effects and magicians coming into the scene we see "new" things all around us! With so many different styles attached to so many different magicians one must ask; does originality really exist anymore? Are we capable of truly coming up with an original style that hasn't been used yet or an original effect that hasn't been created yet?

Discuss... :)

Mitch

I think that before one is going to say that something is original they need to know their history. Time and time again I hear very talented and experienced performers talking about know where magic came from, who is responsible for this move, that move or this trick, that technique. One someone takes on that task of learning what came where and who did what, it allows for change and new methods or styles on old tricks. Originality is going to be in the eye of the spectator, someone may see a trick, and say well I saw the twins do that or I saw that in a book by Lee Asher. So I would have to agree I think that originality isn't dead, I think we can only grow and makes this art truly universal and as popular as it ever has been. I just want to let everyone out there to know their history and to give credit when it is do, as well as make every trick your own be yourself when you perform.

D

DavidLira360

There comes a time in a magician's life when using tricks invented by other magicians is not enough. The performer may want to create his or her own methods and effects to add to his existing repertoire. On the other hand, too many performers read or purchase a new trick and haphazardly use the patter, presentation and handling described by the author.

We are all different, in body and mind; meaning that what is good for one person may not be good for another. If you want to perform an effect successfully it is very likely that you will need to add your own performance style to it. In some cases one may feel that it is adequate to adjust the handling as well.

Creativity is one of magic's greatest secrets, it is not something that can be taught in a single piece of writing.
Creating a magic effect is a very personal experience; it is similar to driving a car - there are ten different routes to get to the same destination, each route being different.

Whatever route you choose you will eventually arrive at the required place, although you will not know if it is the best route until you attempt the others. So if at first you do not succeed in creating original material do not worry, just try taking another route.

There comes a time in a magician's life when using tricks invented by other magicians is not enough. The performer may want to create his or her own methods and effects to add to his existing repertoire. On the other hand, too many performers read or purchase a new trick and haphazardly use the patter, presentation and handling described by the author.

We are all different, in body and mind; meaning that what is good for one person may not be good for another. If you want to perform an effect successfully it is very likely that you will need to add your own performance style to it. In some cases one may feel that it is adequate to adjust the handling as well.

Creativity is one of magic's greatest secrets, it is not something that can be taught in a single piece of writing.
Creating a magic effect is a very personal experience; it is similar to driving a car - there are ten different routes to get to the same destination, each route being different.

Whatever route you choose you will eventually arrive at the required place, although you will not know if it is the best route until you attempt the others. So if at first you do not succeed in creating original material do not worry, just try taking another route.

Whoa. That was deep.;)

Jun 24, 2008
United States
I agree with Jacob Netzel. If we dont learn about history, it will repeat itself. Once you know the basics, and where everything came from, then you can explore into different variations that various artists have had on them. From there you can make your own style and methods. But then again it is very hard to come up with something new. Odds are, if you come up with a really good, amazing effect, someone else has something VERY close. But thats when you do your research, and make sure that no one else does it the same way you do. If you've done all that, and think its original, then you have something very good =) Very interesting topic...

~Nate

I think we are at a point where originality is hard to come by, but I do not believe that it is dead. Yes there are many copy cats out there but there is also people who think outside the box and come up with original ideas.

I think this goes for many art forms.

Time for a story: I was having band practice and while we were working on a song one of us says that it sounds too much like another band and the other guitar player says that it does not matter because, "everything has been done before." While I agreed with him to some extent I think that it is not completely impossible to be original.

+Luis

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Well its hard to really say if originality ever really exists.
I think it depends on your definition of originality.
It could be someone who is completely out of the box nothing inspired from anybody or anywhere to some people.
But that of course is impossible.
We are inspired to think or act certain ways of what we learn,what we like.There is such a thing as unique.But original in what sense do people mean?

There has been no originality on earth since the first people here. Basically, they came up with basic concepts for everything, not just magic. Then as the years went on we began to expand on their thoughts and add to them. We simply improve the ideas.

For example the first brick was made of mud, we simply just improved it using concrete. People created the double lift a long time ago. Dan and Dave simply show a better way to display it. All we do today is add to peoples ideas.

Dylan P.

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
i dont think so because even if you made up a trick and film it somebodys gonna duplicate it and call it theres so yea and then people now a days have no originality...............exept for mathieu bich and daniel garcia

Aug 31, 2007
Ohio
The key to originality is to put down the wallet

I agree 100%. But most people need to use the wallet for a while before they get to a point at which they don't need it.

Another thing...I think that whether or not a magician can be called "original" depends on whether or not he or she knew that their creation (whether it be a method, effect, or performing style, whatever) already existed. I mean, if you happened to come up with an effect all by yourself and then found out two months later that somebody already had it out in a book that you hadn't read, I think you can still call it your own. If you saw another magician perform an effect, however, and then came up with a method for your own version of it, you cannot call it your own. It was inspired by somebody else. Your method may be original, but the effect is not.

In short, if your ideas come completely from your own mind, you can call them original, regardless of whether or not somebody else has already been using them.

The reality is, if you come up with your own performing style, your own effect, your own method for an effect, etc., you could waste days, weeks, even years researching the bottomless pool of magic products to check if your creation is "original." I think it's a silly thing to worry about. Just be yourself, go out and perform, and have fun doing so.

-Colin

Oct 24, 2008
Savannah, GA
Originality in magic exists in the unexplored areas that we've yet to plumb. It's odd that magic has existed for so long, yet we're still doing the same things over and over. We're not challenging ourselves as far as material, presentation, and artistic endeavor goes.

Well, not everyone. But a good 90-95% of the magic community as a whole, I'd say.

Though I think it's more about presentation and show. We can transform an old trick with an amazing presentation and style. Most people just aren't willing to take a giant leap into something new.

May 8, 2008
England
It is natural that over time originality in creativity becomes harder. Things get repeated or are similar to other ideas or whatever. But that's just how it is, and that helps to push the boundries of creativity.
But, no, I don't think creativity is dead. Freezer Burn, Cinders PWF are all fresh ideas.

I believe it is important to break this discussion down to. There's creativity with whole new concepts like, I don't know, toast magic.
Then there's creativity with old concepts but new methods and ideas - for example varying rising cards, or witness as an expansion on a transposition.

And with style, as long as you're yourself then you've got your own original style, everyone is different. However if you are a crazy smooth Dan and Dave wannabe or a David Blaine 'watch' magician then that's not really originality. I am not saying that taking inspiration, in any measure, is wrong though, it's not, I'm just saying that some people do not show their personality when they perform.
It's also hard to determine style with an audience-less video...

Sorry it's long winded, hope you took time to read it and it all made sense. :p

-S

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results