Does this happen to you too?

Aug 16, 2011
I have been noticing that I spend more time looking up reviews/researching different effects to buy/learn than I actually spend learning/practicing magic. Does this happen to a lot of you as well? Also, I start off learning one thing, let's say regarding card magic, then I go into learning something with rings, then cups and balls, coins, etc. I never really balance everything out and get really good at one thing before moving on. I mean, I end up learning a little bit about each one and some basic effects, but never really get 'great' at any of them. Do any of you have tips to remedy this horrible problem?

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
I'm unfamiliar with your exact situation, but I assume your going through a phase which many, many magicians go through. The phase where you well... do exactly what your describing. It took me about two years to really get away from that habit, and still on occasion I regress. Personally, two major steps lead me away from that path. Step one, finding, choosing, and purchasing a single noteworthy book or series of books to dedicate yourself to. I would not in fact recommend the classics like Card College or Tarbells or Mark Wilson, but instead a publication on theory or one that goes more in depth into a few effects. My reasoning for this being that a lot of the classic works would require decades of time to complete step two. Step two, is to create very large and definite goals for your study of the chosen work. Perhaps a minimum page of annotations for every chapter, or a certain number of hours to spend with every section or move or effect. What your really doing is setting yourself a project, which will provide you with plenty of focus so long as you can find the self discipline to stick with it. For me at least, that was extremely helpful. Give it a try, maybe it'll work for you.

I'm sort of in the same spot as you, although i think to a lesser extent. i would say i have about 20-30 tricks i would consider "performance ready" but probably around 100+ effects im playing around with.

What i would suggest ( and am trying to do myself) is practice and script at least 7 impromptu tricks. so when someone asks to see some magic i can just do my tricks without thinking about what to do next.

And you should see what you like the most. do you like stage magic? close up? extremely demanding tricks or self working? once you figure that out it should make it easier.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The simple answer is that you need to stop doing that. Pick something and do it until you're really good at it.

For me the thing that drove me to really focus on a few things was getting a busking 'gig' at a local farmer's market a few years back. I had to have a show that had some variety to it, it had to be entertaining and I had to learn it fairly quickly. So I took stuff I knew really well, threw in a couple things I didn't know very well, and just kept practicing that show until it was great. I didn't have time to look at other tricks or whatever, because I had that demand of an upcoming performance.

These days I don't really learn a lot of new tricks. I'm far more focused on reading about theory and performance and such than getting new tricks. Another side effect of that busking gig was realizing that I had enough material at that point that I wouldn't actually have to learn any more new tricks if I didn't want to. That really freed up my mind from the drive to learn all the things. Now I peruse stuff, but really only focus on things that work for me in the context of the shows I want to do.

Jul 13, 2010
Yes. It happens to me, too.
I would advice you to read two essays which were helpful to me.
Download "Magic in Mind", a free e-book by vanishing inc. and
read "The Tyranny of the New" by Eugene Burger and "The Next Book Syndrome" by Darwin Ortiz.

Aug 31, 2007
I would not in fact recommend the classics like Card College or Tarbells or Mark Wilson, but instead...

BLASPHEMY. Card College and Mark Wilson's Complete Course aside, Tarbell has some of the greatest hidden gems you'll find in any book. Period.

BUT, I totally get what you mean - these books can be overwhelming by the sheer amount of tricks.

I went through a similar phase when I first started - I think most of us do. For a good year, I was more interested in spending hours comparing 3 different 'Pen-Thru-Dollar' effects, reading countless reviews, and then finally deciding on one, than actually practicing the trick once I had bought it. The conclusion, for those wondering, was Misled. Best pen/pencil through dollar out there.

Anyway, you get the idea. It's not a bad thing to want to research what you're buying, but there is a point where it distracts from your magic itself. Find what you like, practice what you like, and slowly find new tricks that intrigue you, and then practice them. Just don't do it all at once, because it can get overwhelming, and then you end up with the 'unused trick drawer'.

A lot of great advice in this thread, just my two cents. Keep the conversation going - what else has helped you guys kick this habit?

Aug 16, 2011
BLASPHEMY. Card College and Mark Wilson's Complete Course aside, Tarbell has some of the greatest hidden gems you'll find in any book. Period.

BUT, I totally get what you mean - these books can be overwhelming by the sheer amount of tricks.

I went through a similar phase when I first started - I think most of us do. For a good year, I was more interested in spending hours comparing 3 different 'Pen-Thru-Dollar' effects, reading countless reviews, and then finally deciding on one, than actually practicing the trick once I had bought it. The conclusion, for those wondering, was Misled. Best pen/pencil through dollar out there.

Anyway, you get the idea. It's not a bad thing to want to research what you're buying, but there is a point where it distracts from your magic itself. Find what you like, practice what you like, and slowly find new tricks that intrigue you, and then practice them. Just don't do it all at once, because it can get overwhelming, and then you end up with the 'unused trick drawer'.

A lot of great advice in this thread, just my two cents. Keep the conversation going - what else has helped you guys kick this habit?

You nailed my dilemma spot on Zach! Also, I have already gone through the Royal Road to Card Magic, but never felt that I truly 'mastered' the fundamentals and learning even more advanced stuff didn't help because my fundamentals weren't solid. I'm currently learning my fundamentals again, but there gets to a point where I want to be able to perform something right this second, so when people ask me to do stuff I can just bust something out. I just get in the bad habit of seeing all of this new fancy stuff that comes out and wanting to get new effects and I get distracted from what I was currently working on and never 'truly' master any effect, as I am too busy researching and debating between different tricks;

For example the other day I was reading up on 'Divorce' by Justin Miller and 'Reflex' by Patrick Kun and other ring effects. During my research I found out that 'Divorce' had the first phase taken out because it was using 'Ring Thing' by Garrett Thomas and that phase was one of the main reasons I wanted to get 'Divorce' in the first place. Then I found out that I had Garrett Thomas' old effect 'Banded' sitting in my closet, so I went into watching the bonus section on the DVD that contained 'Ring Thing' and got distracted(but on the right path) to trying to learn 'Ring Thing' before I purchased 'Divorce' by Justin Miller. Long story short, I still have not decided between the two and will probably just end up getting both, but I spent a few days trying to read reviews and different forums and what people had to say about the effects, etc. instead of just picking one and spending those couple of days learning one of the routines, which I should have done in the first place.

Anyways, I just need to get better discipline and stop being reeled in by all of the new stuff that keeps coming out and finally master some effects and then and only then move onto something new to learn. Thank you to everyone who posted their advice and also Tokyo for the great article link. Also, Tony that's some good advice, I just need to learn one effect and give myself a goal to have it performance ready by the end of the month. I just need to psych myself out into thinking that I will have a real gig or event to go to where I will be forced to perform. I'll keep you all updated with my progress and maybe start a dedicated thread or 'blog' to help keep myself focused.

Aug 31, 2007
I totally understand. I would recommend, no matter what you are practicing at the time being, to only practice that move or routine or trick for that week. Spend one week, ONLY doing that thing, and it will become second nature, and won't simply pass by you.

When I first started flourishing, the first two years I was awful. But then I heard Tobias Levin give this advice, to practice one flourish at a time, for about a week - and INSTANTLY my cardistry improved. Try it!

Aug 16, 2011
I totally understand. I would recommend, no matter what you are practicing at the time being, to only practice that move or routine or trick for that week. Spend one week, ONLY doing that thing, and it will become second nature, and won't simply pass by you.

When I first started flourishing, the first two years I was awful. But then I heard Tobias Levin give this advice, to practice one flourish at a time, for about a week - and INSTANTLY my cardistry improved. Try it!

I'll definitely do that Zach! Thanks for the helpful advice!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results