Don't be Afraid to Do Something for Free

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Last night I took part in a fundraiser event at our local middle school. Initially when you are asked to entertain for free at such events, you get a little upset that you are not being paid. You know you are worth it and you are hesitant to take the gig. Let me share last night's story.

The family in need was a single mother who had two disabled children with one in a wheel chair and the other with severe autism. They had just received great news that Habitat for Humanity was building them a home, but without a wheel chair lift many things would cause a burden on the mother to move her daughter around the new home. The physical burden was going to be overbearing because of the size of the child.

Our community put together a spaghetti dinner, raffle baskets, and a one hour long magic show which 3 of us local magicians took park in. We each did a 20 minute act.

Our goal was to earn $3900.00 for the family. I am still speechless as I wake up this morning knowing that our community raised over $8000.00 for this family. Not only will they be able to now afford the wheel chair lift to be installed but will now have money left over for other necessities like a washer and dryer and much much more.

I am still smiling and filled with joy knowing that I did not receive a penny, but seeing the smiles on those young kids and the mom last night seriously could bring tears to a grown man's eyes. It was priceless.

I guess what I am trying to say is. When an opportunity comes along like this...please, please, please do not dismiss it and tell them NO.

The inner feeling you will get is far more than what a check could do.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
There's nothing wrong (and much right) about doing this sort of program @ no cost; I've done many for disaster relief situations be it a family or a community. My encouragement however is to choose the charities or types of issues you're willing to do this kind of thing for as well as those groups that you'll give a steeply reduced rate (such as cost only) to and hold to that so as to protect yourself and your reputation as a working pro.

I do annual programs that promote literacy and of course, special programs that deal with MS, etc. causes that I honestly do care about (even thinking about doing Medical Marijuana fundraisers. . . )

Your story is touching and I'm glad you have found for yourself, a sense of blessing for doing such things.

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
I just want to talk about my experiences in that field. I was performing (for free) in a children's hospital which essentially means that I walked into 15 rooms with patients, sometimes with their parents and sometimes not, and I did the Magic Coloring Book, Sponge Balls, a Coin Bend and I let a bag of gumbears appear. That was all I had for the smaller kids. For the older ones I had Manhattan Opener and Ignition. I didn't feel like it was something special until I went into the last room. Their was a 13 y/o kid who was waiting for his parents. He liked my magic so much that I stayed with him. I told him that in order to bend a coin with his mind you would need a 5ct piece to bend and a 10ct coin to absorb the heat of his mental power. After 4 performances his grin got bigger and bigger and finally when his parents walked in he really believed he could to that again. Also he really seemed to want to learn magic so I gave him a card deck as a present and I told him where he could learn some stuff (I recommended him YouTube because it's the easiest way for him to get access to magic and to learn effects quickly.). This was really heart touching for me. Another thing I want to mention is that the nurses were awaiting me eagerly and they were very happy, and also impressed because I did this for free, that someone helped them with the children.

I will performing for some old people in 1 month. Its like 45 mins for like 30 people and 3*8 tables.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Working professionals can absolutely freely give their time and skills. It will in no way hinder your reputation. That fundraiser will continue to ask you for your services (and why shouldn't they?). However, it is not advertised to your paying clients that you are doing free charity work. And if for some reason it was broadcast to potential clients, it only speaks well to your character, making you a more attractive hire.
On the flip side, there is nothing wrong with charging for your work either. The bouncy castle and snow cone machines are often paid for, so you can as well.
However, any time we can contribute to solutions we need to ask ourselves how much we are willing to contribute and sacrifice to help those in need.

Great stuff Rick. I know our family is so deeply appreciative of the gifts of people like you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results