Don't forget to have FUN!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
So true!

Nothing kills a performance like being able to see the performer is bored or not wanting to be there. Even if the technical skills aren't there (Which I am not saying that's the case with you, just a general statement) if the performer is having fun and able to engage the audience with that, they'll walk away happy. Audiences will always remember how you make them feel.

Good job, Rick!

Reactions: RickEverhart

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
So true!

Nothing kills a performance like being able to see the performer is bored or not wanting to be there. Even if the technical skills aren't there (Which I am not saying that's the case with you, just a general statement) if the performer is having fun and able to engage the audience with that, they'll walk away happy. Audiences will always remember how you make them feel.

Good job, Rick!
Thanks Chris! Yes, that's exactly what I mean. If you have made them smile, laugh, gasp, ponder, and simply enjoy their time with you...then you have done your job. It's not necessarily all about "fooling" or tricking them or showing them your card handling skills. Also, if you don't think audiences can sense you are just "going through the motions" and your mind and soul are elsewhere... you are mistaken.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
One of the more humbling moments of my career came after a trusted friend watched my show. He asked, "You've been doing xyz routine a long time, haven't you? Performed it a lot?" "Yeah, it's been in almost every show for 6 years." "I can tell."

Dang, man. That hurt. But it kicked me in the butt and reminded me to make it like the first time, every time.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results