Double Lift Critiques

Jun 29, 2015
Hey everybody!

This is my first thread, so I hope I placed everything in the correct spot.

Let me begin by saying that I have read the T11 forum rules and have searched for a thread like this one. That said, I am going to do my best to stay within the confines of this platform and not duplicate anybody else's preexisting thread.

I have recently been going back to the double lift. I learned the super basic biddle-grip version 8 years ago when I started. Now I consider myself a experienced carman of 8 years. Changing my technique, I try to do my best, smooth, realistic looking DL. My question is, if I upload a video of the DL, can some of you on the forums give me some advise. I'd love an outside opinion.

Jun 29, 2015
Very convincing. Have you considered using a push?

I have tired a two card push-off, but I have a hard time doing it. So for the time-being, I don't do a push-off. Ultimately, I would like to, but again, it makes the DL look less convincing. What I have done, is take all the other convincers from the push-off DL like in-jogging and letting the cards fall as one to polish off what I already can do.

What about you? Can you do a push-off? I'll be amazed because that sucker is a tough cookie.

Apr 19, 2015
Florence, Italy
The technique was perfect, but it's too smooth. If you would turn one card, would you do it that way?
I think you should be more careless in turning the card, may be a single or a double.
As for the push off, it's a very deceptive double... but as long as i have the chance of flashing the double it's unpractical.
I practised it, but never performed it.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Apr 18, 2016
USA
The two c push can be tough when executed at speed, but so very natural when done slowly. The secret is maintaining the same pressure with thumb and ring finger.

Your move is very well done, but makes me feel like magic is going to happen next, and that is not always a bad thing.

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Jason England has a great tutorial on the double lift. You might want to look into that. Your double-lift looks fine to me, however you might learn something from the tutorial. He has a bunch of different DL's in the video.

Reactions: Mr.Book
Jun 29, 2015
The technique was perfect, but it's too smooth. If you would turn one card, would you do it that way?
I think you should be more careless in turning the card, may be a single or a double.
As for the push off, it's a very deceptive double... but as long as i have the chance of flashing the double it's unpractical.
I practised it, but never performed it.

I hear ya on it being too smooth, but at the same time, I used to get caught because my other technique was clunky and not natural. I guess my question is, how smooth would you make it. And how do you think I could turn the card over most naturally?

Jun 29, 2015
The two c push can be tough when executed at speed, but so very natural when done slowly. The secret is maintaining the same pressure with thumb and ring finger.

Your move is very well done, but makes me feel like magic is going to happen next, and that is not always a bad thing.

I'll have to keep practicing the push-off DL before I can do it at all, slow or fast. But I appreciate the POV of hinting at an upcoming
moment. This could be really helpful when you want to capture a spectator's attention.

Reactions: Mr.Book
Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
The basic rule I tell people when they start trying to learn the double lift and want to know which one to use is this: turn over a single card, then find a double lift that looks like that. Or you could work in reverse and make your single lifts look like your double lifts. What you want to do to practice is write down a random combination of singles and doubles, then record yourself performing the order it says on your list. Wait about a half hour so you will have forgotten the order then go back and watch it. If you do it perfectly you shouldn't be able to tell which is which, this also helps in figuring out what your tells are.

Nov 10, 2014
Well, I am a bit late to the party here (I just spent the weekend away). It looks pretty good to me, but I will say one thing I do, is when I flip over the double I outjog it. I haven't seen many people do this but I found it works for me, so I outjog it then use my left index finger to pull down on the edge of the card (it also helps keep them together some because they kind of arc) so it is more convenient to grab with the right hand to flip back over.

Jun 29, 2015
Jason England has a great tutorial on the double lift. You might want to look into that. Your double-lift looks fine to me, however you might learn something from the tutorial. He has a bunch of different DL's in the video.

I've looked at the download; I'll have to consider it. Thanks!

Jun 29, 2015
The basic rule I tell people when they start trying to learn the double lift and want to know which one to use is this: turn over a single card, then find a double lift that looks like that. Or you could work in reverse and make your single lifts look like your double lifts. What you want to do to practice is write down a random combination of singles and doubles, then record yourself performing the order it says on your list. Wait about a half hour so you will have forgotten the order then go back and watch it. If you do it perfectly you shouldn't be able to tell which is which, this also helps in figuring out what your tells are.

I've worked really hard on trying to make my doubles look similar to my singles. I think they are pretty close. In fact, I've tried to minimize my push-off with singles because I don't use a push with my double.

I also really like that idea of filming a series of doubles and singles. I'll have to try that. My guess is that my single is going to be faster, not smoother or more natural that my double. Like the double is going to a single in slow motion.

Jun 29, 2015
Well, I am a bit late to the party here (I just spent the weekend away). It looks pretty good to me, but I will say one thing I do, is when I flip over the double I outjog it. I haven't seen many people do this but I found it works for me, so I outjog it then use my left index finger to pull down on the edge of the card (it also helps keep them together some because they kind of arc) so it is more convenient to grab with the right hand to flip back over.

Better latte than never. I'm sorry, it's an old coffee joke.

In all seriousness, I actually in-jog the two cards. I don't know if you can really tell in the video, but I jog the cards for the same reason you do. Also, a few months ago, my DL consisted of using my left index to stabilize the cards too. I got rid of the action because the grip looked too unnatural to do many times in a row during my ambitious card.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to know I do similar techniques to other people. It let's me know I'm somewhat on the right track.

Reactions: mclintock

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I think it looks great (as mentioned). I think the biggest help is if you get caught or not. If people are guessing about two cards or catching you, then you need to re-evaluate the lift (and get-ready). You might have a clunky lift, but your other moments and misdirection might allow for anything to get by the spectator. I believe it was Francis Menotti who shared the tip to dip your hands when doing the double turnover. That's a game-changer tip.

Example:

Reactions: nasira1
Jun 29, 2015
We'd like to see your 'get ready' too. By the time the clips starts you have already done a big part of the DL.

I'll tell you this much. When people aren't burning my hands, I'll riffle down the back and catch a break under the top two cards. I know this isn't very advanced. Most card people use the pinky count, but I still struggle with that. Really, the riffling has never been caught. Also, I sometimes, depending on how much my hands are shaking, will do a 2-card push-over.

Jun 29, 2015
I think it looks great (as mentioned). I think the biggest help is if you get caught or not. If people are guessing about two cards or catching you, then you need to re-evaluate the lift (and get-ready). You might have a clunky lift, but your other moments and misdirection might allow for anything to get by the spectator. I believe it was Francis Menotti who shared the tip to dip your hands when doing the double turnover. That's a game-changer tip.

Example:

This video won't play for some reason. I'll have to watch it later. But I know what you mean in getting caught with a clunky lift. In fact, I took a two month break before performing for other kids at school because I was so certain that my DL couldn't be fixed. That's why I've put so much effort into smoothening the lift out. These days I don't get caught much. I attribute that to misdirection. My misdirection skills have really improved in the last year. Again, high school makes you good, very good, very quickly. So I think that has a lot to do with it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results