Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I always assumed Dr. Daley was a fictional character for the "Dr. Daley's last trick" plot, but I was recently going through the Jinx magazine and the table of contents had another trick called "Dr. Jacob Daley's cups and balls" (or something). So I was wondering if he was a real person (magician, mathematician, etc.) who created these effects and variations, or was he just a fictional plot center-piece.

As I wrote this, I decided to do some research. Turns out he was a real person. According to Genii Magazine's "Magicpedia", Dr. Daley was a Russian-Born American plastic surgeon. He founded the American Society for Otolaryngology Plastic Surgery (the branch of plastic surgery that deals with restructuring important parts of your inner sinuses, ears, nose, throat, mouth, etc.). But besides that, he was also an amateur magician. He is famous for "Dr. Daley's Last Trick", a creation of Daley's which he showed Dai Vernon prior to Dr. Daley's death. However, that's not all that he did.

I pulled up a list of his creations. He wrote many notebooks and worked in many books and journals. His works and works that are built off of his journals can be found in many places including, and not limited to:
The Phoenix Magazine, The New Phoenix Magazine, Jinx Magazine, Expert Card Technique, Million Dollar Card Secrets, 100% Sankey, Scarne on Cards, Hugard's Magic Monthly, Secrets of So Sato, The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings, Apocalypse, A Full Deck of Impromptu Card Tricks, Card Manipulations, The Card Magic of Paul Le Paul, Secret Agenda, Hidden Agenda, The Dai Vernon Book of Magic, Greater Magic, and of course, Stars of Magic.

What's crazy is that he doesn't just have one or two moves used over and over again, he has literally a huge arsenal of things he published, a lot of basics that we use every day. If you look through that list, there are some classic plot that people use all the time! And he did everything from coins, to ropes, to cards, mentalism, bills, enveloped, cups and balls, everything! Dr. Daley was a huge contributor to magic.

However, I don't see too many people recognizing him for his works other than his very last trick (which gets credited to The Professor, even though Vernon gives him direct credit in the title). To look at a resume of this caliber, you would assume that he would be considered right up there with the likes of Vernon, Anneman, Fulves, etc., especially considering how much work he did with them. He is definitely going to be one of the guys I hunt for while looking for books (especially since there are so many that he was in, so if I pick one, I get a ton of stuff beyond just his works).

Did you guys know about him? If so, did you know about all the stuff he did? And are you more inclined to look through his stuff now?
Lemme know what you think.

P.S.
This post started with me knowing about the Doctor through his last trick, and then just stumbling across his name in a magazine. It slowly turned into me looking through a ton of his works, some of which I can look through right now, and learning about his magic career.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Awesome post. I knew about Daley from Stars of Magic. Great stuff in there. There are a lot of magicians from that era (1930-1960s) that contributed a lot but weren't well known. Most magic publications were periodicals or books that included work of multiple magicians -- often without attribution. Works by Hugard, Braue, Annemann, Hilliard, Scarne, etc. are examples of this. It is only a after those time periods where books included only effects of a single magician (thus propelling that magician to becoming well known in magic circles). So there are no books written by Daley or just about Daley -- that may account for the lack of being know generations later.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jul 26, 2016
Nice research, Maaz. I first became aware of Dr. Daly and Dr. Daly's Last Trick when I bought Stars of Magic, years ago. Of course, it would be difficult to have any involvement with magic, especially card magic, and be unaware of "Dr. Daly's Last Trick." It is in the repertoire of countless magicians. I have known for a long time that Dr. Daly hung around with the likes of Dai Vernon and other illustrious card men in New York. Shortly before his death, Dr. Daly demonstrated the (then-unnamed) routine to Vernon, who later included it in his book, The Dai Vernon Book of Magic (Lewis Ganson 1959), and gave the trick its now very well-known name.

What always blew me away about Dr. Daly is the fact that he was a practicing surgeon and very active in the medical community and medical associations, yet somehow found the time to become a phenomenal card man, frequently sessioning with the elite of card magic (i.e., Vernon and friends), perform shows, create a ton of tricks and moves, and to be accomplished in other areas of magic, as well, as Maaz points out. According to "Conjuring Credits" (link below), Dr. Daly either created or co-created close to 200 tricks and moves, or in some cases, variations of existing tricks and moves.

http://archive.denisbehr.de/list/person/263

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Nice research, Maaz. I first became aware of Dr. Daly and Dr. Daly's Last Trick when I bought Stars of Magic, years ago. Of course, it would be difficult to have any involvement with magic, especially card magic, and be unaware of "Dr. Daly's Last Trick." It is in the repertoire of countless magicians. I have known for a long time that Dr. Daly hung around with the likes of Dai Vernon and other illustrious card men in New York. Shortly before his death, Dr. Daly demonstrated the (then-unnamed) routine to Vernon, who later included it in his book, The Dai Vernon Book of Magic (Lewis Ganson 1959), and gave the trick its now very well-known name.

What always blew me away about Dr. Daly is the fact that he was a practicing surgeon and very active in the medical community and medical associations, yet somehow found the time to become a phenomenal card man, frequently sessioning with the elite of card magic (i.e., Vernon and friends), perform shows, create a ton of tricks and moves, and to be accomplished in other areas of magic, as well, as Maaz points out. According to "Conjuring Credits" (link below), Dr. Daly either created or co-created close to 200 tricks and moves, or in some cases, variations of existing tricks and moves.

http://archive.denisbehr.de/list/person/263
Yeah, it's crazy how he was able to balance the 2 things. Actually, it brings me to another point:
I keep worrying about "If I become a professional magician, will I be giving up a job that I really like? And will it ruin magic for me by making it seem like my job?". But increasingly, I'm realizing that I can still study and still work whatever I choose to do whilst still being a magician. If Dr. Daly could form an entire society for a specific branch of the medical world and work as a surgeon, while still doing THAT much for magic, I'm sure I can balance magic with my job in the future.

And thanks for the kind words guys!

Reactions: RealityOne
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results