Draven Reviews: Graphic by Mathew Mello

attachment.php

Title: Graphic
Artist: Mathew Mello
Producers: Mental Playground
Link: http://www.thementalplayground.com/graphic.html
Retail Price: $22.95 USD
Learning Difficulty: Medium
Notes: Product is only available in Download format.

Features:
Live performances of Graphic
Tutorial

In an attempt to show your mental abilities, you tell the spectator you will try to memorize an entire deck of cards, and you will let them set the time limit!

As far as mentalism routines are concerned, a memorized deck is a fairly common staple in a working performers arsenal. Mello provides his solution to a memorized deck by making the memorization process as easy on the mentalist as possible, and leaves the spectator with no way of possibly figuring out how the effect was accomplished other than accepting the performer has a remarkable memory.

The video doesn't waste any time getting into what it's about. You get to watch a live demonstration, and then Mathew delves into the method. At around only 20 minutes in length, this download is short and to the point. While memorized decks can indeed be a daunting task for even the most seasoned of performers, Mello really makes it easy with his system that he teaches, and with a little practice, this is a nice working miracle you can take with you just about anywhere.

The tutorial portion is complete, the sound is of good quality, and the video is cleanly shot. The effect is practical, and the price is a bit expensive for a download, but given what is taught, I think it is fair.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Over all Quality.

Product Quality: 7
While I don't do Mem deck work, I can easily see this being something I would add to my arsenal. It packs light, plays big, and can be worked on a stage, or in closeup. In that regard not only is it practical, but it is also versatile.

Teaching Quality: 7
For such a short video, the teaching is quite good. Nothing is left out, and the effect is clearly taught.

Video & Sound Quality: 7
The sound and video are both of decent quality.

Over All Quality: 7
As I've said, I'm not a huge fan of Mem deck work, but this is something that I think I could handle. I liked it, and am finding myself looking forward to seeing more of Mello's inspirations. I'd recommend this to anyone interested in expanding their mentalism act.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again sorry for the double post, but the producers of this video wanted me to add a shameless promotional plug at this time:
For the week of Thanksgiving, and starting tomorrow, I'm being informed by the producers of Graphic, a special offer is being made of $14.95 for the download.

Happy Holidays!

Aug 31, 2007
And, once again, I'd like to add that I'd prefer it if people learned this routine off of the new Modern Mentalism dvd's I released through papercranemagic.com. It is an updated method of the original, and you'll be learning 6 other great, close-up mentalism effects for only 15 dollars more.

Matt Mello

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results