Title: Symbol

Artist: Steve Cook

Producers: Alakazam Magic UK

Link: Available At Your Favorite Murphy’s Magic Dealer

Demo Video Link:

Retail Price: $25.00 USD

Learning Difficulty: Easy

Length of DVD: 25 Minutes (approx.)

Steve Cook has created an ingenious variation to a multiple out effect that is so clean, so criminal that even if your spectator were to be another magician you’d still caught them off guard and leave them with nowhere to go. Symbol is a brilliant packet trick that will live happily in your wallet, and will become a quick favorite among your impromptu line up guaranteed.

Six cards are displayed, each with a Zener symbol on them. A spectator is asked to throw an imaginary six-sided die, and to come up with a freely chosen number of their own accord. They can “roll” as many times as they wish. Once they settle on a number, a card is removed from an envelope that has been in plain sight the entire time, and their selection and the prediction in the envelope both match! When I saw Peter Nardi perform this the first time my mind instantly went to “that’s a cute hot rod force.” I was blown out of the water when the trick finished because it was clearly NOT a hot rod! Scratching my head, I opened up my web browser and immediately placed an order. I don’t like being fooled so easily by simple effects. Especially something like a multi out effect like this. I think the hand print on my forehead remained there for a good couple of hours after reviewing the method upon receiving my product.

What you get is a packet of very well made Zener symbol cards, a black envelope for the reveal (and the DVD said I’d have to supply that myself- HAH! Take that expectations!), and a couple extra cards which the DVD explains how to use. The colors on the cards are quite vivid and can easily be seen at a distance. The entire effect fits nicely in my wallet, and resets damn near instantly after performance. The multiple out method is so ingeniously disguised that I’m willing to be it will fly by magicians let alone smoke the minds of any laymen watching. Everything in the presentation is so fair, so open that the mind has very little room left to run to once the reveal hits. It’s brilliant and I love it!

The DVD isn’t very long either. You get about a half hour of tutorial which includes an in-studio performance of the trick. This is something that you’ll quickly master, and you’ll have a lot of fun performing it as well. The results you get are well worth it.

Symbol has quickly become one of my favorite go-to effects for anytime someone says to me: “You’re a magician? Do something!” It has the nice aesthetic of being a card trick but since it doesn’t use standard playing card images it feels very unique. Very unusual. Which is good considering the amount of “pick a card” tricks that flood the market. It also lets you set the precedent for how it’s presented too. Is this mental magic? Is it Mentalism? Is it ESP? Is it a strange coincidence? Since it uses Zener cards it really leaves the presentation up to you on how you want to approach it. I’m very happy with my purchase, and I think anyone looking for that little extra something for close up will be very happy with Symbol.

When I give my product scores below I am measuring them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 Being absolute the worst score possible, and 10 being the absolute best, making a score of five average. The four points that I grade upon is Product Quality, Teaching Quality, Sound & Video Quality and Overall Quality.

Product Quality: 8

Well made. Good price.

Teaching Quality: 8

The DVD is easy to learn from.

Video & Sound Quality: 8

Great Sound and Video.

Overall Quality: 8

This is a product that went straight into my wallet, where it lives, and is used frequently. I love Symbol!

Do you have a product you want reviewed? Want to see if it will stand up to the Draven Seal of Approval? Contact me directly at thewilliamdraven@gmail.com to find out how your product could be on the next Draven Reviews! Don't forget to like my blog where all my reviews are posted at www.williamdraven.wordpress.com.

Reactions: Lindel
Oct 12, 2016
Utah
Is every possible ending really as clean as they make it sound? No outs that feel forced? And it can be carried in your wallet? Sounds really good... what's the catch?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results