Dresscode

I know a few people have been on the fence about this effect as it looks too good to be true. Since I haven't really seen a single review for this yet I figured I'd put together one for you guys

TITLE and Creator: Dresscode by Calen Morelli

Effect: The magician shows the audience both the front and back of his shirt, he then turns around and removes his jacket/outer shirt and his shirt has instantly changed. The jacket can then be handed out for inspection

Price: $24.99

Teaching: The DVD was very well put together. Calen goes step by step in everything you need to do to make the gimmick work. In the construction phase of the DVD he first gives a brief overview of how the gimmick is made and then proceeds to do a real time walk through of making the gimmick, highlighting everything you need to do. At the end of the DVD Calen goes over a few subtleties to make this effect better and a few common issues people have when starting out

Quality of materials(if it is a gimmik etc): The DVD comes included with everything you need to make the gimmick. You are only provided with enough material for one gimmick, however you could easily transfer it to a few different shirts. If you wish to make multiple gimmicks so you don't have to transfer, everything can be found at your local crafts store. My only gripe is that it would have been nice if they included more of one of the materials as it may be difficult to find that EXACT material at Michaels (difficult though not impossible).

Difficulty: The gimmick takes around 10-15 minutes to make if you follow along with Calen on the DVD. If you make it by yourself, you could probably make it in around 5 minutes. Once you have made the gimmick, you can reset in no time, in literally 15 seconds. You could even do this around other people, Calen talks about looking at a painting or pretend to be reading something on a board when you reset.

Applications: This is a GREAT opener or a way to perform some unexpected magic. You can also use this for reveals and even in some cases productions. Calen briefly teaches you a routine he does with Dresscode and mentions a few additional ideas. The one thing he stresses is that you should come up with your own ideas as there are countless different applications to this effect.

Overall Rating: I'd give this a 9.5/10 This is definitely my favorite purchase of 2010. Its practical, visual, and super simple.

Final Thoughts: This is a trick I know I will be using constantly, the applications are limitless. The only thing you have to be careful about is angle issues and flashing. Calen covers how to prevent flashing in his "common mistakes" section of the DVD and the only real angle you have to worry about is when you turn around so you're back is facing the audience. You do not want someone in front of your face when you do the change

Hope I answered a few questions people have had about this effect, let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know!

~Zenn

nremtb

Elite Member
Oct 27, 2010
Just got this. Another home run for calen. You cant really say anything you have to construct for a trick is ruining it.

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
Ive just watched the DVD and prepare my shirt with the props included... This looks amazing. Ill perform it tomorrow 4 sure!

Jun 1, 2009
I agree, mine came in the mail today and it's amazing. I was a little thrown off with the "ruining" (if you want to call it that for making a miracle) of a shirt. But then again I have plenty of shirts I don't really wear or care about that finally have a use now.
Pure genius. I have transit as well and Calen is just a whiz kid, I love his work, and he explains the effects very well.
Good review man, I'll follow up just by highly recommending this to anyone.

Jacob

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results