Drums Magic

Nov 3, 2018
Hi guys,
This is something I've been thinking about from time to time and Seth Hughes with his question about piano magic reminded me that I'm right at The Source For All Knowledge right here. So my question is, can you think of something magical I could do with a drumset (or other percussion instruments)?
As the percussion-ensemble I play in gives a concert twice a year this could be a possible setting for a performance.

Thank you all for your help!

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
My mind automatically goes to an ESP demonstration involving the drums playing themselves, or something along those lines.

Nov 3, 2018
That's almost exactly what I thought: I sit at the drumset, playing something, the sticks "accidentally" fall out of my hands, but the sounds keep coming as I move my hands as though I'm still holding the sticks.
Problem: Everybody present will say there's playback and I never really played myself.
Also: I don't know, to me it seems it wouldn't have the humorous effect or the effect of wonder a magic trick should create. Or is that just me, feeling something weird?

Thanks for your input!

Nov 3, 2018
My mind automatically goes to an ESP demonstration involving the drums playing themselves, or something along those lines.

I think I figured out what's bothering me about the scenario I described above: First of all, the drums would steal the show (if they're played well enough, and anything less would be boring). Second of all, nobody would see the sticks in the first place, so nobody would notice if I "dropped" them.
Third of all, let's be honest, nobody wants to hear a drum solo. For the layman (and for most drummers as well) most drum solos are the most boring thing you can do with any instrument.

So thank you, but I'll keep on searching.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
My mentor Ed Ellis, does a selected signed card found "inside" the drum. He jams the drumstick down through the drum and produces it from inside the drum. Obviously this is done at the very end of the set and magic routine.

Nov 3, 2018
My mentor Ed Ellis, does a selected signed card found "inside" the drum. He jams the drumstick down through the drum and produces it from inside the drum. Obviously this is done at the very end of the set and magic routine.

That is not a bad idea, quite the opposite actually. Thank you for sharing it!

Reactions: RickEverhart
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results