DVD Concept: 5-on-1

Lex

Dec 18, 2007
Chicago, IL
This isn't quite a product review, nor is it a product question, but it is something that perhaps might become even more useful after some thoughtful input from folks here on the forums.

One of the advantages that I see Theory 11 having over other sites is that its Artists are also good teachers, specifically of performance. Each has their own style, which they cultivate and demonstrate beautifully.

One way this could be showcased in a way that would be both marketable and educational--a neat intersection!--would be a DVD of, say, five Artists, each performing the same effect in their own way. Not even a full routine, such as an Ambitious Card Routine, but just a simple effect with a narrative to it. Then perhaps sit down to compare the performances afterward:

--"Why did you put the 'magic gesture' at that point instead of later?"
--"If you do it using this sleight instead of that one, wouldn't you reduce the chance of flashing?"
--"Jayzus that was a snore. If someone forced you to talk during your performance, what would you say?"
--"How would you change that for a larger room or more people?"

Someone mentioned that having one DVD of Danny Garcia just performing tricks would be very educational. I agree, but I would also suggest that hearing five or so different perspectives on the same effect would also be worthwhile.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
L&L Publishing has stuff like that. They have DVD's called "World's Greatest Magic- *insert trick name here*"

What they do is that they take dvd clips of people performing and teaching said effect and putting it all in one dvd. They take clips from dvds of Michael Ammar, Bill Malone, Doc Eason, Tommy Wonder, David Regal, Dai Vernon,etc.

They have dvd collections for tricks such as ACR, Bill in Orange, Card Stab, Cups and Balls, Coins Across, Sponge Balls, Cannibal Cards, etc. Pretty much any classic effect you can think of.

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
I think that would be really neat. Especially neat. I think it would be very inspiring to see professional magicians, or at least very successful magicians, give us some showings of their performances.

L&L Publishing has stuff like that. They have DVD's called "World's Greatest Magic- *insert trick name here*"

What they do is that they take dvd clips of people performing and teaching said effect and putting it all in one dvd. They take clips from dvds of Michael Ammar, Bill Malone, Doc Eason, Tommy Wonder, David Regal, Dai Vernon,etc.

They have dvd collections for tricks such as ACR, Bill in Orange, Card Stab, Cups and Balls, Coins Across, Sponge Balls, Cannibal Cards, etc. Pretty much any classic effect you can think of.

But i'm guessing this wouldn't just be clips of each respective individual performing said trick. It would be them sitting down afterwards and talking about the little nuances that, not only make it original to them, but ways to improve apon it for different situations, among other things, of course.

While reading through the thread: REVIEW: Diagonal Palm Shift (1-on-1)In a post Jon Raiker made, he referanced to a post made by JB. I'll quote part of it because I feel it really rings true here.

A few months ago I had the chance to visit Steve Forte with Jason and Chris Kenner in the room. What did I do in this opportunity? What did I make of this chance? I listened. I listened to every word that was said. I listened to every fragment of opinion offered. It is not everyday that one gets the chance to hear the first-hand suggestions, tips, thoughts, and shared experiences from true, bonafide experts - and when that chance is offered, I value it more than words can express.

I imagine this to be, somewhat, what it would be like. Not like being there in person, obviously, but if the looking glass is as far as can go, that's just fine for me. Honestly, i'd pay for that.

Jul 8, 2008
The only problem with that, would be that it would reject too much creativity. THat is one of the things I don't like about DVDs. Yous ee the performer do his own performance and unique handling that works for them, and it is completely copied word for word without hesitation and it doesen't work for you as much as it works for them. By them doing the same trick, maybe it just gives you more presentations for you to choose from.

Nov 2, 2008
Arkansas
i think if it was done it would allow you to have a better understanding of the effect. with more performances you see which style does better.

the invisible deck has all of these different presentations and there are a ton of other tricks with the same basic effect. brainwave, irreversible, blizzard, the advocate, john kennedy mind power deck, etc. They all work differently but they still have the same basic effect.

Seeing different handlings would obviously increases your number of choices. you could pick and choose the parts you like and have something you truly enjoy performing.

Lex

Dec 18, 2007
Chicago, IL
The only problem with that, would be that it would reject too much creativity. THat is one of the things I don't like about DVDs. Yous ee the performer do his own performance and unique handling that works for them, and it is completely copied word for word without hesitation and it doesen't work for you as much as it works for them. By them doing the same trick, maybe it just gives you more presentations for you to choose from.

That may be true for one-artist-one-handling DVDs, but I suspect it would be less true for a DVD that actually had five or so different handlings by five different artists. Sure, there will always be some monkey-see people who buy any DVD, but there's nothing that can be done about that. As long as there's been magic, there's been bad magicians.

Part of the idea behind this suggestion is to leverage what can work best about the DVD format--visual teaching and the possibility of immediate interaction of the performers--while reducing some of the negatives.

And I have to agree with the quotation B&WI posted from Monsieur Bayme: there is nothing like being a fly on the wall when artists go at it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results