DVD Review: Avenue .. balanced review ..

I've been reading Dorian's post on online forums for a good while and knowing that he hangs out Ron Baur, Paul Chosse, Steve Youell, and Larry Jennings. Couldn't wait to get it, lets see whats inside. These are my thoughts on the subject.

I imagined new plots, new clever concepts, and advanced cardwork. This isn't the case here.

The effects are good. The focus seems to be on a aces/kings transpo, which you get 3 versions, one which is FASDIU. Good handling, see the plot, good chances you might imagine the method, though even if you do, the handling here is very streamlined to the bones and well-worth you're attention.

There is an Inversion routine ( AFI=Another F****** Inversion ) which I wonder why its included, as it adds absolutly nothing to the current variations, with a below average method ( gimmicked card+unneeded lines) its diffcult to see anyone performing this even to their magic buddies, although the common gaff makes for a clean first phase, the sleights used will probably get you caught, unless you can do the moves well, and if you do, you probably already have a favorite Inversion routine = you'll skip this.

The highlight for me was Joyride, a STROLLING version of L.Jenning's Visitor, while it has its bad moments and its not as effective as L.Jennings original ( Packets isolation ), but if you keep in mind that you're not using any table or surface of any kind, this is just as good as it look. This is good. I worked on this area and seeing another magi's work on this is certainly a treat.

Another favorite is Recon, a version of Everywhere and Nowhere, one selection with no dups, and is very suitable for strolling close up. Yet another thing I worked on for awhile and had something very similar,but the method here is very streamlined. You wont find it earth shattering but it works for the real world.

Sidetracked is a direct transpo between 4 of kind and 3 selections. Streamlined handling. Simple, good method.

Finderskeepers is yet another sandwhich trick that ends up with production of the mates collectors style. I predict this and AFI will be the least used tricks, the finale might take in your magic buddies.

There are 3 moves taught sepertatly, a Guy Hollingworth-style pass ( which is used alot in the tricks above ), a "Mexican Monte" move which is a half-ascanio done in an Pinch-grip-style counting ( Elmsly count style ) which I find pretty intresting, and the Pugh's pass which is explained well.

Other sleights explained on the fly include the spread passs, turnover pass, Ernest's (spelling) spread control, and a common J.K Hartman move. Dorian does the Ron Baur double turnover ( no refrence ), which is joy to watch.

You won't find elaborate, theatrical presentations here.

If you're looking for a FASDIU Everywhere and Nowhere, Visitor or multiple card tranpos, you'll be very intrested in this DVD. While the methods aren't earth shattering-clever as some magicians like them to be, and while there is no dramatic improvment on the looks of the effects or exciting new plots, they work very well for laymen. The highlight of the DVD is this: Dorian succeeds at creating extremely practical, extremely streamlined handlings that will find its way easily into any workers repoitire (spelling..). This is not your magic club stuff, this is workers stuff, magic for the real world. This helped me with 3 problems I had: 1)Strolling Visitor. 2) Signed card, strolling Everywhere and Nowhere 3) Strolling transpo (Sidetracked)

Oh yeah, everything is in range of intermediate card handlers.

Recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
I did not like this dvd that much.

To me it felt like allot of the material was filler, like they said "Hey, do you have any material that you dont use that we can make a dvd of? Hmm yeah i have some effects that i used 20 years ago that we can make a dvd of."

I mean why put 3 kings and aces transpo effects on the same dvd? To a spectator it will be the same effect, they are just slightly different. Its not a bad trick, but we dont need 3 different versions on the same dvd. Feels like filler material.

Also, A.F.I. also feels like filler that no one will use, there are so much better versions of it.

The rest of the effects are good, but nothing really amazing.

I also think that Daniel garcias Ego change looks way more magical then phuges pass, which is almost the same sleight.

Also the dvd is called Thinking and direction in card magic? Where is the thinking and direction? There are just a few effects and sleights on there.

It would also be great if there were some live shoots of him performing the effects, his studio presentations makes you fall asleep "Oh we put the kings here and the aces there (Does the sleights) and now theese are the aces..... And theese are the kings.. End.

Im sure he is a great guy but the dvd feels quickly thrown togehter.

Nov 8, 2008
U.S.
Personally, I used A.F.I. and it got better reactions than any other inversion routine I know. It actually doesn't need the Gimmick card. Dorian is a good friend of mine, and I came up with a new version of grease lightning that has the Advantage of the 'other' card, but does not use it. He may publish it in some notes, I'm not sure. I like some of the effects, but there were too many Ace-King transpo's.

The rest of the effects are good, but nothing really amazing.
The question is, amazing to who?

As I mentioned above, the PLOTS aren't new at all, there isn't any big change in the LOOKS of the effects, when compared to others in same genre.

To us none-professional magicians, there is a group who DO perform often, and the other group that have one or two performing venues in a week (or even a month), and focus on fooling magic buddies and creating more than performing ( NOT that I'm against it, in fact I encourge it if its what you want ). Its natural for them to enjoy more complex effects because there is where the fun happens, enjoying principles and wierd looking stuff, that when introduced to laymen, they lack clarity. Examples? Buck Twin's Deja Vu, Queens, or another effect where the aces change into jacks, you spread the deck to show the ace sandwiching the selection. Unfortunatly, these kind of effects constitute 80% or more of published effects, all leading to the common mindset that the magic market is filled with rubbish.

Granted, a good performer can take them and make them work for laymen, by showmanship/presentation, fixing the routine all together ... etc

The effects in Avenue, in my humble opinion, are directed to laymen and are crystal clear. The methods (I mentioned in my review) are extremely streamlined ( and you can't compare here unless you are fimilar with other methods for similar effects ). When it says "thinking and direction in card magic" on the DVD, it means excatly that to someone who's experienced in different methods and how to work them out for laymen. Unfortunatly, Dorian makes the mistake of not analysing his methods so the average viewer can learn from it, he simply assumes everyone will appreciate the streamlined handlings, which isn't the case. Adding to the problem, Dorian's performance lacks ALOT ( since he is performing for a camera, FAR different from an actual audience ), magicians are taken in by the quality of the performance and assume the trick just sucks. Unfortunatly, this is the case with many DVDs and even books. Ever been to a convnetion where some guy entertained and fooled you with a trick from a DVD/book you already have, yet you don't recognize it?

Now don't get me wrong, if you don't like it then you just don't like it. The point of my post is that I thought there is something that needed to be said to make a more informative opinion on the tricks.

Anywho, these effects fit me nicely, I already included three of them in my strolling act.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results