DVDs and Books

May 19, 2010
This has been on my mind for a little while and I just wanted to hear other people's opinions.
I know a lot of the time if someone asks a question about the new latest and greates DVD someone always says to buy a book instead. Now, don't get me wrong, I love books. I've found most of my favorite and hardest hitting material in books. And a book like strong magic can not be beat. But what's wrong with a DVD if it's an effect that will fit your style, character, and can be added to your routine? It doesn't matter to your audience where the effect came from as long as they are entertained, amazed, and you're the best magician they've ever seen. These are just my two cents and I wanted to hear others thoughts. Thanks!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
But what's wrong with a DVD if it's an effect that will fit your style, character, and can be added to your routine? It doesn't matter to your audience where the effect came from as long as they are entertained, amazed, and you're the best magician they've ever seen.

There is nothing wrong with learning from a DVD.

HOWEVER, the recommendation that people get books isn't because DVDs are inherently bad but that books have significant advantages over DVDs. Books have more effects per dollar -- a single effect DVD can cost up to $30 while a book at that same price will have a lot more effects. That also makes it more likely that you will use something taught in the book where if you don't like the effect on a single effect DVD, you are out of luck. Books are also better at conveying theory. Even reading Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic will teach you to learn how to think about magic.

There also is a sense that books will provide a more thorough education in the fundamentals. Hugard and Braue's Royal Road to Card Magic and Expert Card Technique, Giobbi's Card College, Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, Mark Wilson's Complete Course, Tarbell's Course in Magic, Annemann's Practical Mental Magic, Cassidy's Fundamentals, Corinda's 13 Steps all teach the fundamentals in a variety of areas.

Books also spark creativity. For presentation, it avoids imitating the performer you see on the video because you have to develop your own way to present the effect. For effects, knowing the fundamentals allows you to apply them to develop your own effects. The more you know, the more you can do. There also is the "gems" you will find in the books. Methods or effects that no one else is performing.

I think that books allow you to learn magic, where most DVDs merely teach you a trick. There are exceptions -- L&L's Greatest Magic DVDs are great because they have a variety of performances with the same basic effect by different magicians and a explanation of each performance. There are great DVDs that teach you (almost) everything you need to know about certain effects -- Ammar on Cups and Balls (or anything else), Darci on Spongeball Toolkit, Levant on Billiards or Miser's Dream, McBride on Manipulation (of anything).

Finally, I think the "get a book" response is shorthand for "if you want to be a serious magician, you need to stop buying the latest and greatest trick of the month."

Aug 1, 2009
I agree with Reality. DVD's are not bad at all. IF you know how to use them and understand what they are. You need to read these classic books in order to understand how to use these effects and if they suit you and your style etc. Also so many of these DVD releases are just tweeked effects from these classic of magic books.
Kids who get into magic just buy the next trick DVD that looks cool in a fancy done trailer and buy it. Don't practice or put any time into the art and just do a "trick" and reveal it to everyone. That's the problem with DVD's in my opinion. I believe anyone and everyone who gets into magic NEEDS to read these classics and understand the history of magic and give respect to those who have helped make it what it is today.

Jul 13, 2010
I only have a couple of DVDs, 90% of my material are books, but the ones I own are great for the performances alone. Seeing Tommy Wonder, Bill Malone, Juan Tamariz or Darwin Ortiz perform is a joy and I think you can learn one or two things from DVDs.
I`m not talking about mere technical skills, but the way everything comes together. The performance, the audience management, the timing and pace. At least, magic is a performing art. It can`t hurt to watch the best. And it is entertaining in itself, or should be.
Sometimes I´m thinking (after reading a trick description): This will never work in the real world. Then I watch the performance. It works.
That things are feasible is one of the merits a DVD offers. It builds confidence. Use it wisely in conjunction with books.

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Reality pretty much summed up all of my thoughts as well. Me personally, I have about 50 magic books and over 100 DVD's. There have been way too many times I get to our IBM ring meeting and 1/2 of the members have also purchased the latest and greatest one trick DVD and then we are all standing there waiting to perform the same effect. That to me sets off an alarm that we are all jumping on the band wagon and not diving into the books for the gems. On the contrary, at our last meeting I performed an effect out of a 1967 Abbott's Card Catalog and people loved it.

There is also the debate of which ( DVD v.s. Book ) is easier to learn from. Brad Henderson and I got into an argument over this a year or more ago. I happen to be a very visual learner and enjoy a hands on approach. For me to learn something quickly, I have to watch something repeatedly and follow along with the cards or whatever actually in my hands. This is not saying that I am unable to learn from a book, it just means that I have to put in more time and effort.

This is just like my 4th grade students in my classroom. All students DO NOT learn a like. I have to alter my instruction to fit the needs of each and everyone of them so that they can reach a level of success.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results