Easy CTB

Good day ladies, gents, hope all is well!

I have a little card to box project if anyone wants to check it out? I think it’s a really simple impromptu method, it’s probably been done but I came up with it again lol

The tutorial is in the description.

Just felt like sharing with the community, hope you can get some use out of it!

Criticism and opinions certainly welcome :) Take care.

Reactions: JoshL8

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
Good bits…fun cinematography…love the birb.… nice ambiance. I also like CTB as an effect. I’m still pretty new so take this suggestion with that in mind.…Some direct versions are pretty cool I think but maybe some motivation and or time misdirection from the dirty work would be a benefit here.

Most CTBs I see are done with patter, you have an extra hurdle to consider of conveying silently a need to move the box and deck to the same hand. Maybe you clear the table and or return the selection at later times in the routine?

Overall I liked it, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Kard Fu
Good bits…fun cinematography…love the birb.… nice ambiance. I also like CTB as an effect. I’m still pretty new so take this suggestion with that in mind.…Some direct versions are pretty cool I think but maybe some motivation and or time misdirection from the dirty work would be a benefit here.

Most CTBs I see are done with patter, you have an extra hurdle to consider of conveying silently a need to move the box and deck to the same hand. Maybe you clear the table and or return the selection at later times in the routine?

Overall I liked it, thanks for sharing.

Thanks Josh, yes I re filmed the end several ways with or without routine but it seemed to dilute the point. I wish I had a buddy/spectator at the time to help move a plot.

Reactions: JoshL8
Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
I applaud the artistic nature of your videos. You have real skill with cinematography!

In the routine, I do think that the load move is telegraphed as mentioned above, specifically because of the fact that the choreography used for the movement of the box is unmotivated. I would recommend switching to a more direct approach- use the Master Move to palm the card, and then move the card case with the dirty hand (to do the sneaky move) while your other hand spreads the deck on the table face up. This also shows that the card has vanished from the deck (with a bit of study), giving reason to then go to the box to "find it".

For crediting purposes, (which should really be done before posting a tutorial, and included in the tutorial, in my opinion):
The first instance of the card to card case plot is probably by Walter Gibson, published in Popular Card Tricks, 1928, p. 28. The card case as a temporary holdout appears in the work of Steve Bedwell (Parked Card and other Manoeuvres, 1995) and Bruce Cervon (Hard-boiled Mysteries, 1998.) The now standard box load reveal is attributed to both Matt Schulien in The Magic of Matt Schulien, 1959, p. 26, and Ed Marlo in Deck Deception, 1942, p. 19. A more advanced handling of the Schulien/Marlo version can be learned in Above the Fold by Rich Aviles, 2010, called "Vanilla Extract", p. 14.
To get these credits, I researched in my own library, as well as pulling routines via keywords from conjuringarchive.com

(I recommend that anyone serious about magic perform an in-depth crediting search whenever they "create" a routine, so that they are aware of what work they're building from. It's cool to create for yourself- In fact, I think it's necessary for a magician! But when you share that creation, you want to show that you've done the work to research the moves and plot fully.)

All in all, you have a good routine on your hands! I would just try to find a workable method for you that removes the heat during the load phase. You could rely on misdirection, but there might also be a different choreography that takes care of that heat for you.

Scott.

Reactions: Kard Fu and JoshL8
Scott
I applaud the artistic nature of your videos. You have real skill with cinematography!

In the routine, I do think that the load move is telegraphed as mentioned above, specifically because of the fact that the choreography used for the movement of the box is unmotivated. I would recommend switching to a more direct approach- use the Master Move to palm the card, and then move the card case with the dirty hand (to do the sneaky move) while your other hand spreads the deck on the table face up. This also shows that the card has vanished from the deck (with a bit of study), giving reason to then go to the box to "find it".

For crediting purposes, (which should really be done before posting a tutorial, and included in the tutorial, in my opinion):

To get these credits, I researched in my own library, as well as pulling routines via keywords from conjuringarchive.com

(I recommend that anyone serious about magic perform an in-depth crediting search whenever they "create" a routine, so that they are aware of what work they're building from. It's cool to create for yourself- In fact, I think it's necessary for a magician! But when you share that creation, you want to show that you've done the work to research the moves and plot fully.)

All in all, you have a good routine on your hands! I would just try to find a workable method for you that removes the heat during the load phase. You could rely on misdirection, but there might also be a different choreography that takes care of that heat for you.

Scott.

I seriously appreciate that Scott. Did you happen to watch the tutorial?

I cant believe I did not think to credit ”card to box” itself I do feel like an idiot, I was focused to much on the sleight itself, not the plot.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results