Oct 5, 2017
Wondering if anyone here has answers. I'm thinking about selling magic ebooks on my site. To do that I'll obviously need to have resell rights for the magic trick ebooks.

How do magic stores go about getting these rights? How can I sell other people's instant download ebooks?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Wondering if anyone here has answers. I'm thinking about selling magic ebooks on my site. To do that I'll obviously need to have resell rights for the magic trick ebooks.

How do magic stores go about getting these rights? How can I sell other people's instant download ebooks?

Somebody owns the rights to most every e-book out there. To sell a digital copy, you must work out a deal with the person who owns the rights to that e-book. Usually this will mean paying a royalty to the copyright owner (ie every time you sell a book, lets say for $10, you owe the copyright owner a portion of that, let's say $5). They may also require that you distribute the e-book through some form of DRM service to help prevent unauthorized copies.

So, here is what to do:

1. Select the e-book you want.
2. Find out who owns the copyright
3. Contact the person / company that owns the copyright about the opportunity to sell that e-book.
4. Follow their instructions and set up a system for selling that e-book.

// L

Reactions: chrisponline123

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
What about the Public Domain?

For instance, Practical Mental Effects by Theodore Annemann (the 1944 Editon).

Couldn't he sell an ebook of that without contacting anyone?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
What about the Public Domain?

For instance, Practical Mental Effects by Theodore Annemann (the 1944 Editon).

Couldn't he sell an ebook of that without contacting anyone?

If confirmed to be in the Public Domain, I believe he could. That said, why? If it is in the public domain, then it is likely available elsewhere for free. There is not much of a reason to sell it.

A few exceptions exist (like the many various collector's editions of EAtCT) that sell because of added value the seller created, but beyond that?

// L

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results