Edge by Kevin Parker :: REVIEWED

Sep 8, 2007
Hey Guys,

I have some spare time today and thought I would help some one out there by writing a review. That, and, I'm bored out of my mind. So here it is:

Edge by Kevin Parker :: REVIEWED

Where to Buy: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/edge-by-kevin-parker-p-3877.html

Cost: $24.20 (Only $21.78 with your returning customer discount!)

Effect: The magician displays one card with its top corner torn and barely hanging on. The magician puts his empty hand around the other side of a glass door or window, keeping it there with its fingers spread, wide, open, and palm visible. The other hand taps the card against the opposite side of the glass, and the card's top corner is visually seen to fall off the card into the hand on the other side - passing right through the glass. Impossible.

Introduction: I've been looking for a card through window that would suit my walk-around style for a while now and Edge really caught my eye. I watched the demo video and I was immediately hooked. I mean, come on, could you get more impossible from that?!? So, not being smart, I ordered it on the dot and received my download. I wasn't very impressed with Revolution, and my thoughts about Kevin Parker became very dull. Edge did not change my mind or my thoughts.

The Effect (Reviewing it): I must say that the effect itself is great. It's very visual and catches the spectator's eye. It's really not hard to accomplish and that's going to be the top reason why most people will fall for it.

The Instructional Video: Alright, Kevin Parker's home-made instructional videos are absolute CRAP with a capital C-R-A-P. They're like the lowest quality things on the market. I'm being serious, that's what really ticked the crud out of me the most. I know absolutely nothing about making a video, but, I mean, come on, even I could have made a better video. You pay a freakin' 20 buck price tag to receive a video that looks like it was (take out "looks like it") shot in a basement by some extremely inexperienced camera-man. The guy doesn't even have a tri-pod for cryin' out loud!!! The screen is constantly shaking and it just gets to you after a while. I'm running out of mean words to say about this and you all know how I don't swear, so I'm going to take a break and stop for a minute.

***Thinks happy thoughts for a minute.....***

Alright I'm back.

The Teaching: Kevin does teach the effect rather well. My only complaint about this section is the way Kevin's voice is. He's got that kinda dragging on, deep voice that is hard to listen to for an extended period of time.

The Gimmick: I-M-P-R-A-C-T-I-C-A-L to the max! This is like the triple-decker-BK-double kinda impractical. You'll need some common magician materials to construct it.

The Performance: While performing, the spectator's must be directly in front of you as Kevin has the demo video set up. NOTHING is examinable after you perform this trick. Not the card, not the corner, and not your hand. Kevin does give you a method for clean-up, but I find it very hard to do without your spectators knowing that something is up. Looks great but really isn't.

The Angles: You must have your spectator's directly in front of you.

Is it Worth the 20 Bucks: In my opinion, absolutely not.

That's just my 2 cents, and I hope you enjoyed the review!

Brucelee

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
Wish I woulda read this a couple of days ago... I ordered the DVD and I have to admit that Bruce is right on. The quality of the video is about as good as a 5 year old with an old VHS camcorder. The gmmick you need to create is very impractical and very weak. There is a method to where you can clean up during examination, but it requires a bit of sleight of hand which is very impractical due to the 2 degrees of angle that you have to work with. I'm serious, it has to be a dead straight on effect... like to the point where you can only do it for one person.

Sep 14, 2007
Thanks for the reviews, guys. It certainly looks deceptive in the preview video! But I'm glad to have seen your comments so I could avoid some serious buyer's remorse.

James.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results