Editing Software

Mar 19, 2011
California
Hi everyone,
I've done magic for 4 years now.. and I am starting to do cardistry. This art really displays who I really am. I really want to create new art and magic doesn't seem to "fit" me..

To start off, I really want to know what kind of editing software you guys use.. or professionals use.
I currently have an iMovie '09.. but it's not worth it haha.

Also, if you could, what camera is suitable?

Thanks guys for taking look at my thread!
Azuki

Apr 20, 2010
Any camera and any editing software can be used and still make a great looking video. For best quality one might recommend a DSLR camera like the T2i, but really just about any camera you have that can take video can make things look nice in the right lighting.

"Professional" editors in the movie making industry typically use Final Cut Pro to edit, but it's very expensive for magicians. iMovie will surely do what you want, but if you want to do effects and whatnot many may recommend vegas or after effects.

Typically you want to shoot so that no editing is needed, so before you start investing in editing software, invest in proper lighting and a camera.

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
Yeah, a good camera/lighting/microphone is definitely a priority over software. With these things you can make great videos in something as lame as Windows Movie Maker or similar.

Though to answer your question, I use Adobe Premiere Pro. It's not a simple, beginner program, but once you learn your way around it, you can do some great stuff :)

Oh and camera-wise, a few hundred dollar digital camera will be able to shoot 720-1080p video. However, if you're looking at getting some really great equipment and want that extra quality, get a DSLR that does video. Canon make some great cameras in this line (I've got the Canon 60D and it's awesome). However a camera like this is going to set you back around $1000 and then you have to get a lens and it's a good idea to get a microphone of sorts as well, as their on-board mics are terrible :(

If you've got the money, I'd go the extra mile and get some good equipment and do it right, instead of getting average equipment and then having to upgrade later.

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
Work on you flourishes now and then 1. See if you are still interested and 2. Decide whether or not you want to make videos.

Anyway, iMovie is fine for now but I would reccomend either Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro. On Amazon.com the entire Post-Production Suite by Adobe is around $800 dollars right now.

As for cameras, a DSLR with a lens with a big Aperture (smaller the number, bigger the aperture. E.g f/1.4 has a bigger aperture than f/4.) A big aperture is key to getting a shallow depth of field. This means you are in focus and the background is out of focus. This makes the viewer's look at you and makes the video look more professional.

Dec 12, 2010
I would recommend Final cut pro X. It's in the app store, and it works great! (Assuming you have Mac) If you're a windows person, then Sony Vegas Pro works great too.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
Whoa, my last post didn't register. Anyway, most professionals actually use Avid to edit their videos and not Final Cut. That may or may not change in the future.

With that being said, how much money do you have to spend?

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
Whoa, my last post didn't register. Anyway, most professionals actually use Avid to edit their videos and not Final Cut. That may or may not change in the future.

With that being said, how much money do you have to spend?

Some professionals used FCP but they don't really use FCPX now because it's more fit for prosumers like us. They usually do use Avid but it's too expensive for making a cardistry video. Some professionals use Adobe Premiere Pro too.

Either way, it's better to focus on content and knowing how to edit than what you edit with

Dec 12, 2010
Some professionals used FCP but they don't really use FCPX now because it's more fit for prosumers like us. They usually do use Avid but it's too expensive for making a cardistry video. Some professionals use Adobe Premiere Pro too.

Either way, it's better to focus on content and knowing how to edit than what you edit with

I can agree with that. Avid is the industry standard, more highly priced then FCP, and much more complicated. Not what we need for a cardistry video. I think FC studio is good, but you don't NEED it for a cardistry video. If you're someone like me, who wants more than iMovie, then Adobe Premiere is good, or FCPX. However, I don't know how much you're willing to spend as S.G .said.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I just bought the Canon T3i with a 50 mm f 1.8 lens (Thanks to Zach M.) and I LOVE it. Of course it does set you back $1000 and I don't even have a mic yet but overall I'm completely happy as well as my wife for shooting pictures of our kids to put in scrap books.

Lighting is huge as I'm starting to figure out myself. I used to shoot video on a Sony HandyCam and outdoor footage looked awesome but indoor was grainy as heck. However, outdoor sound was horrible because the mic picked up wind and such.

Ugh...there are so many things you have to get right to have a good professional video.

As far as software I just use the iMovie that comes on a MacBook but am getting Sony Vegas for X-mas.

S.G

Feb 9, 2010

I don't think Movies are usually edited (USUALLY) by FCP or by Adobe Premiere Pro.

But yes, Avid is way too much for us.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results