Effect Names

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
So we have Panic as in /panic
Witness as in /witness
Digital Dissolve as in the password dissolve
Guardians like the password

Are other things from the scavenger hunt going to be effects?
Gravity
2pm
etc.

Sep 1, 2007
New York
I understand that marketing reasons call for these snazzy names these days. But, I'd be happy if they were just called simple things like "Houchin's Moving Pips," or "Fischer's Vanishing Deck."

LeeAsher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
www.leeasher.com
If you go back to older magic books (turn of the 19th century), authors offer titles for effects like 'Method Five' or 'Variation Seven'.

Would you really want theory11 magic to be called 'Fisher's vanishing deck' or 'Houchin's moving pips?'

Those titles tip the effect.

In my opinion, it's like watching a movie titled "Luke Skywalker is Darth Vader's Son."

See what I mean?

As magicians, if we cannot appreciate suspense and mystery -- how can we offer it to our audiences to appreciate?

Let's keep talking about this...

The floor is open.

Asher

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
I think the hip names are fine. And you're right. I remember seeing "Method 6" and "Lady effect 3".

But I also see the point. Would you like to shop at "Babagazanza!" or "The Lighting Store"?

I like the self expanatory names lee. it helps when trying to find reference to things already in existance. i don't understand the tipping part.... lay people don;t know the names nor care. the only reason for some of the names used now is merely for marketing cool factor. not that im blaming... im a web dev at a marketing firm =)

Sep 1, 2007
If you go back to older magic books (turn of the 19th century), authors offer titles for effects like 'Method Five' or 'Variation Seven'.

Would you really want theory11 magic to be called 'Fisher's vanishing deck' or 'Houchin's moving pips?'

Those titles tip the effect.

In my opinion, it's like watching a movie titled "Luke Skywalker is Darth Vader's Son."

See what I mean?

As magicians, if we cannot appreciate suspense and mystery -- how can we offer it to our audiences to appreciate?

Let's keep talking about this...

The floor is open.

Asher

I seriously do not mind the fancy names.
However just for argument's sake, I feel that there should be no suspense between magicians for what the effect is, only for spectators.
However, i agree there must be suspense for the method. After all, that is what we are all after.

The example used

(In my opinion, it's like watching a movie titled "Luke Skywalker is Darth Vader's Son.")

reinstates my point that the end should be a suspense for the SPECTATORS and not the people who perform it.
I hope you see my point of view.

Although i do not have any objections to the fancy names, i just decided i should give my point of view.

LeeAsher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
www.leeasher.com
Aren't we all in the same situation as our spectators when viewing something new for the first time?

Why should we cheat ourselves out of some suspense and mystery at first?
That's one of the best parts in my opinion!

Asher

yes and no, i think if i was going to watch another magician, i woudn;t expect him to tell me the names of tricks, but when watching a product trailer your already cheated out of any real performance anyway. i never find much of any suspense or mystery in a teaser designed to show the visual aspects only of somthing and not the real mystery that a whole routine is

LeeAsher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
www.leeasher.com
Josh I dont understand what you mean?

Are you saying teasers and trailers for magic and movies don't offer suspense to those who watch them for the first time? Especially magicians...

I beg to differ.

Half the garbage I've seen in the theaters would have been missed if the trailers held no suspense. For instance, if one specific trailer clearly stated, "Open Water - people treading water for days without a script," I would have stayed home.

Trailers, teasers, ad copy, etc all have to excite and provoke enough so you'll take the next step.

Just because we dabble in the art of suspense and mystery doesn't mean we have to forgo it ourselves.

Again, in my opinion -- it's one of the best parts of being a magician in the magic industry!

This is getting good, keep talking....

Asher

hehe lee, i understand what you mean, but i just don;t find them that suspensful or entertaining. lets take the digital disolve for a example as its a product i ordered.

the trailer shows the coin change. well ok thats great. but whats the theatrical motivation here? we never get to see it. i know why you don't... cause it would give too much away for free. thats fine. maybe im just the only one who cares about the things in magic that happen outside of the props

LeeAsher

theory11 artist
Aug 31, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
www.leeasher.com
Ahh i see now Josh. Sure you see a teaser filled with suspense, but when you go to the movies to watch the full feature -- it's all revealed.

As I stated before, trailers, teasers, ad copy, etc all have to excite and provoke enough so you'll take the next step. One you take that step -- the motivation will be revealed. The suspense is released, there's a solid payoff most of the time.

The same goes for Digital Dissolve. Once you take the next step - You'll have the coins, the method, and the direction.

By the way, you don't have to tread water without script to perform Digital Dissolve.

I think we are moving away from the original focus of this thread -- effect names.

One side of the fence believes the name should express the nature of the effect, while the other side of the fence believes suspense and mystery has its place (even in the title).

Where do you sit?

Asher

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results