Ego Change Routine

Apr 28, 2008
The Ego change itself was performed very smoothly but there's some other things that I think could be improved.

Firstly, stop messing round with cards so much, all the fans and dribbles are annoying to watch, it took nearly half the video to show a card and lose it in the deck.

Your double lift needs some work, you shouldn't get a break by pulling up at the back, it looks very unnatural and will make spectators suspicious. Have you ever seen anybody turn a card over like that?

The routine itself could be improved, it's just the same thing happening twice, not much of a routine really. It needs some variety, if you do the same thing twice then it will usually get a weaker reaction the second time (there are exceptions but I don't really think this is one of them).

Nov 18, 2007
For me I usually use my thumb or pinky to riffle down as a get ready for my doubles and every once in a while I use the strike double.

Oct 18, 2007
Germany
i didnt like the flourish part when you do it with laymen they think ok hes that skilled it is no problem for him to get the card on top ... its too much cards springs ... i like your ego but your DL omg ... and the one card you turned aroound like kind of shapeshifter dont do that ... i would make a ACR out of your rutine it would be better ...

sry for ma bad english^^

Dec 26, 2007
you hold the cards weirdly, you begin in right hand biddle grip with your endless dribbles and fans, but change to left hand biddle grip for theego change. To me it seems to be a pause in motion a may appear a bit strange to some.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Have you ever seen anybody turn a card over like that?

Have you ever seen anybody turn a card over like in Diving Board Double?

Anywho, just like everyone said, it got boring to watch all those fans and dribbles and that long long long overhand shuffle... Just make it shorter... One cut, one shuffle, and that's it.

The thing about double lift. There is nothing wrong with pulling two cards on the back. But when you do, pause a little, move your hand away from the deck, make a gesture with that hand, pick something up, just steal some time for audience to forget that little thing with your thumb that you did. And than just pick at a break, and you are good to go.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Wow, thanks a lot!

So, I'll work on my DLs and make a shorter routine.
Is there something else I've to work on?

the grip of the cards, man, you have to love them! I thought they were going to fall any minute, too many flourishes are not needed, neither the shuffling but overall good work, too many moves will seem to the spectator like something fishy is going on, it should be a lot more shorter....work on your DL man ;)

Apr 28, 2008
Have you ever seen anybody turn a card over like in Diving Board Double?

Anywho, just like everyone said, it got boring to watch all those fans and dribbles and that long long long overhand shuffle... Just make it shorter... One cut, one shuffle, and that's it.

The thing about double lift. There is nothing wrong with pulling two cards on the back. But when you do, pause a little, move your hand away from the deck, make a gesture with that hand, pick something up, just steal some time for audience to forget that little thing with your thumb that you did. And than just pick at a break, and you are good to go.

You can't compare the double lift performed in the video to the DBD. The DBD looks purposeful, it looks like you're stylishly displaying the top card so the action is motivated, this also applies to doubles such as the push off.
However, when you mess around at the back and handle it awkwardly there's no motivation at all. A spectator will quickly realise you must be doing something. You can get away with some slightly weird double lifts if they fit your performance style but there's no justification for messing around at the back of the deck for no reason.

I think pulling cards up at the back is lazy tbh, there's so many better ways to do it that can be done with a little effort. I'd look into the Push off and the Strike double lift.

Nov 10, 2007
The Ego change itself was performed very smoothly but there's some other things that I think could be improved.

Firstly, stop messing round with cards so much, all the fans and dribbles are annoying to watch, it took nearly half the video to show a card and lose it in the deck.

Your double lift needs some work, you shouldn't get a break by pulling up at the back, it looks very unnatural and will make spectators suspicious. Have you ever seen anybody turn a card over like that?

The routine itself could be improved, it's just the same thing happening twice, not much of a routine really. It needs some variety, if you do the same thing twice then it will usually get a weaker reaction the second time (there are exceptions but I don't really think this is one of them).

I agree with everything you aid except for when you said that getting a break by pulling up at the back is unnatural because I have been getting my double that way for 2 years and I have it looking very natural, so keep working on it like that and it will look natural.

Apr 28, 2008
I agree with everything you aid except for when you said that getting a break by pulling up at the back is unnatural because I have been getting my double that way for 2 years and I have it looking very natural, so keep working on it like that and it will look natural.

I know it can look passable (certainly better than in the video in this thread). I did it like that myself for a while but it never really looks justified. If you have to do a series of lifts in fairly rapid succession then it looks really weird, there's just no reason for your thumb to keep moving to the back of the deck. An observant spectator will realise that you're doing something even if they don't know exactly what.

Apr 28, 2008
It's an improvement but still needs a bit of work. The way you're turning it over is quite close to a Strike double but the grip you're using looks really weird, try and loosen up a bit and hold it more naturally instead of pinching it by the edges.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results