Election by Eric Ross / Papercrane Productions

Jan 5, 2008
Oklahoma
Premise:
Election is a very cool mentalism effect that involves the participation of 2 spectators. They each receive a deck of the opposite color of their partner, one red and one blue for example. The spectators are instructed to hold the decks in mechanic's grip as demonstrated by the magician and asked to hold their deck behind their back. The magician then asks the 2 spectators to pull ANY card out of the middle of the deck and flip it face up on top. The spectators are then instructed to cut the deck so that the unseen, face up selection is now in the center of the deck. The spectators bring the decks forward, spread through the cards to reveal that they both picked the same card. The twist is that both selections are of the opposite color of the deck they were originally in. The blue deck's prediction card is red and vice versa.

Difficulty:
1 out of 10, the only two reasons that would make this trick not work the way it's suppose to is if 1, the magician doesn't give clear directions, or 2, the spectators don't follow the directions. The chances of them not, is very low. Next to nothing. There is virtually no sleight of hand. The best part of the trick for me is the freedom of the selection. You can show the specs the deck before you hand it to them to show that all the cards are different, they pick out a random card from the middle and it's absolutely a free selection with no force of any kind utilized. The gimmick makes it work everytime.

Gimmick: 10/10
It's the easiest gimmick you will ever make. It will take like 30 seconds and you probably already have everything you need at home already.

Fun Factor: 11/10
I've already tried this at a bar that I perform at and got better reactions than in the promotional clip. It's such a strong, simple, clean trick. Keep in mind this was just a rough draft run so to speak, to see where I might be able to add in some patter. Generally, I practice even the simplest effects in detail before I perform them, but this trick is easier than most.

Mentalist or magician, get this. It's only 9.95, it works everytime with no chance of fail unless you personally mess up the instructions, which would be on you anyways, and it seems SUPER fair in the eyes of the spectator, and that's all that matters.

Overall: This trick gets a 10/10 from me. I love the prediction aspect of this and you can even take it to the next level and add some different things to the effect to make it even more high impact. At the bar tonight, I added a little bit to the effect and I think I'm going to stick with it. After they saw that they both had the same selection and that the back was of a different color I let them have their reaction, and then pointed to my shirt pocket, I pulled out an unopened deck of cards(still sealed and all, you can purchase seals at most magic shops) and pulled out the brand new deck of cards to reveal that one card was face down in my unopened pack, and it happened to be the specs selection. This isn't needed, the trick is great as is, I just wanted to throw that out, maybe someone will use it.

Hope this helps,
Zack

Aug 31, 2007
I wanted to ask a quick question, how clean are you at the end? Let me rephrase that, if you use this for say, an opener, can you immediately use one of the decks and continue performing impromptu card effects?

you can use this as an opener but i wouldnt. with a simple excuse you can get the gimick out of the deck w/out questions asked.
for everyone who might think that this is like Irreversible by D+M it is not.
I personally like this set up a little better.
but if you like Irreversible then you should pick this up. you will be like "why didnt i think of this!" and you will be amazed by the results.! i tried this out on a few magic friends who were fooled by it.

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
I wanted to ask a quick question, how clean are you at the end? Let me rephrase that, if you use this for say, an opener, can you immediately use one of the decks and continue performing impromptu card effects?

You can use this as an opener if you like, but I wouldn't.

That isn't the real question here, your asking if you end clean. Not exactly. The way he teaches it you are not clean, but it is very simple to make yourself seem very clean. With one modification you can be ready to do more magic and the deck is completely usable and the gimmick undetectable. If you end up buying this and don't know what I'm talking about just PM me.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
After they saw that they both had the same selection and that the back was of a different color I let them have their reaction, and then pointed to my shirt pocket, I pulled out an unopened deck of cards(still sealed and all, you can purchase seals at most magic shops) and pulled out the brand new deck of cards to reveal that one card was face down in my unopened pack, and it happened to be the specs selection.

Thats a cool idea. Deck seals do come in pretty handy...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results